1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WIP: Rebuilding the Liberty XL2

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by n4gix, 23/2/08.

1. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    Meanwhile, Fr. Bill has been slaving away rebuilding the FS9 Liberty XL2 to incorporate the best of the FSX SDK SP2 "goodness."

Here are some interesting statistics:

FS9 .mdl = 3.059MB
    FSX .mdl = 2.709MB (exterior & interior models)

FS9 textures = 34 File(s) 26,209,602 bytes
    FSX textures = 13 File(s) 18,715,738 bytes

Three 2048x2048 textures have replaced twelve 1024x1024 textures.

FS9 draw calls = 237
    FSX draw calls = 8

"Modern Livery"
    [​IMG]

"Retro Livery"
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: 23/2/08
  2. jdhaenens

jdhaenens

unitedstates
    WOW! First the DA 42, now the Liberty. When are we going to be able to get our hands on them? They're both gorgeous!

Jim
  3. n4gix

unitedstates
    The DA42 is still in the Avionics shop getting the Mindstar G1000 system installed...

The Liberty XL2 v2.0 will be a free upgrade for current XL2 v1.5 customers, and of course replace the v1.5 version being sold.
  4. jdhaenens

jdhaenens

unitedstates
    I was thinking about your draw call reduction, which is amazing, but at some point where the CPU is off loading work to the GPU (fewer draw calls from the CPU, larger draws in the GPU)there would have to be a tipping point...probably based on graphics memory, speed, and number of GPU's assuming the GPU's can multi task.

Did you notice any frame rate drop?

Jim
  5. n4gix

unitedstates
    Just the opposite. The "FS9 compiled model" suffers from abysmal frame rates in FSX. The new "FSX SP2 SDK model" has astonishingly little impact on framerates. I'm typically seeing at least a 2x increase in framerates, sometimes as much as 5x... :D
  6. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Jim,

As Bill already states, I would not expect a drop in performance. Also with some scenery objects I optimized by reducing the amount of drawcalls a lot I have seen quite big improvements in the framerate.

I am not sure if there is a moment where the GPU will become the bottleneck. I mean, the GPU is still drawing the same as before, but it is getting the data it needs in a much more optimal way.