1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WIP: Static Aircraft Models

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by ProfessorKhaos, 5/12/05.

1. ProfessorKhaos

ProfessorKhaos

us-colorado
    Hi all...

Been working on static aircraft objects to take a break from island building for a short bit. Here's my own semi-low poly Pilatus Porter next to the FSD's Pilatus Porter. The FSD Porter bears my own paint job and the static porter is just using a template bitmap so far. My version built and UV mapped in trueSpace and exported to GMax only for final .mdl export.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The props on this one are deliberately bent. I plan to use it in an upcoming SAR mission where it is the target of the search.

When done, the static porter will be available as a rwy12 object.

Here's the paint kit in case anyone wants to help me put together a few liveries.
    [​IMG]

Prof K.
  2. ProfessorKhaos

ProfessorKhaos

us-colorado
    Textured to match my other plane.

[​IMG]
  3. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Looks nice, how many triangles does your static version has?
  4. ProfessorKhaos

ProfessorKhaos

us-colorado
    Well, the wheels and spinner turned out to be pretty inefficient so the overall model uses about 10K polygons. The body itself is a fraction of that... I'd guess about 3K. Still, my graphics card seems to have little to no problems with it.

I figure it will be used as the centerpiece of a search and rescue scene. As such I intend to lose one of the tires which should cut a good amount of polygons away.

All in all it's not too hard on my framerates though I'd probably not want a huge fleet of them in one area.

I could always go back to trueSpace and revamp the poly-heavy parts. Didn't really have the energy to do that right now but maybe prior to release as a rwy12 object.

This model was actually built several years ago before I ever intended to use it for FS2004. Was cleaning out my hard drive and I ran across it and figured with a little rework I could get a pretty good static aircraft out of it with relatively little investment of time.

It needed some major UV rework and I learned a few more things about the conversion process (mostly what not to do) along the way.