1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wires and Cables in FSX-Gmax

Discussion in 'Modeling' started by skiperoo, 5/3/07.

1. skiperoo

skiperoo

us-california
    With FSDS2 one could make wires and cables. That seemed to go away with FSDS3. I have managed to import my FSDS3 project into Gmax. Can someone tell me if it's possible to make wires and cables for my model in Gmax. And if so, the basic procedure to follow. Thanks:confused:
  2. FelixFFDS

FelixFFDS

puertorico
    While not immediately obvious, it is actually EASIER in gmax than in FSDS. (and a heck of a lot easier to get into faces/polygon trouble)

a cable (or an engine hose, antenna, etc) is a LINE spline. Shape the line whichever way you want it to be ... straight run, etc.

click on mesh settings, and adjust the thickness and number of sides appropriately. REMEMBER you do NOT need a 16 sided .25 inch diameter cable!!! You want enough to insinuate the roundness (at such a small diameter, I'd be surprised if a 5 sided mesh isn't enough.).

If you're satisfied, I'd suggest you leave it as an eSpline and add mesh edit modifires etc. as needed. (that way you would be able to later fine tune the spline's positions)

Apply a suitable material (you may want to include a little bit of transparency to give it that Clairol feeling (is it there or isn't it) - make it "thinner" than it really is.
  3. skiperoo

skiperoo

us-california
    This is good news

Thanks Felix. I'm a newbe with Gmax. Although I have been very comfortable with modeling in FSDS, I have now found myself in a position where it is necessary to learn something about using FSX-Gmax. The FSDS3 model I am working on has to go thru Gmax for it to work properly in FSX. And one of the hurdles I needed to jump was the creation of wires and cables for my model. The information you gave me is terrific. And I will apply it when I reach that point in construction.

Skiperoo:)
  4. FelixFFDS

FelixFFDS

puertorico
    Hmmm - for the moment ;)