• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 X-wind Runway Dilemma

Country
us-minnesota
Okay, when I first started out with ADE, and after solving the compiler issues, I started out trying out the crosswind tutorials, and eventually applied it to my fictitious city and airport expansion. Right now, it has four runways, two parallels; 15/33, 03R+03L/21L+21R, and 07/25 is a late addition. I first tried a smaller alternative expansion with just two runways. The original airport's Primary Use runway was 15/33, at 3900 ft in length. The newer runway was 3/21, for the smaller practice run, but was bigger, longer, and had more sophisticated instruments.

So my first question is, since the newer runway, 03/21, was bigger, longer, and more sophisticated, in addition to seeming to receive the bulk of AI traffic, is that the new Primary Use runway? Or was it still 15/33, since it was there first?

As for my bigger, main version of my airport, at least 1 runway is always in a tailwind. With wind coming from 126°, 07/25, at 71.3° and 4950 ft, would get the tail wind traffic, while the others maintained headwind traffic. In this larger version, 03R/21L is also the biggest and longest, 11000x200, at 30.0°, 03L/21R is 8900x150 ft also at 30.0, and 15/33 is 8000x100 ft at 157.91°. With this bigger airport, is 15/33 still the primary use, or did it shift to 03R/21L, as it seemed to recieve the bulk of AI traffic prior to my crosswind attempts?

Three screenshots, one showing the North/South orientation in ADE, and the second, showing the wind direction in FS9, with the Cessna (me) pointing towards the headwind, and the third showing my crosswind setup. :)

Khc3A3Y.jpg

Hello PlutonianEmpire

So my first question is, since the newer runway, 03/21, was bigger, longer, and more sophisticated, in addition to seeming to receive the bulk of AI traffic, is that the new Primary Use runway? Or was it still 15/33, since it was there first?

Runway 15/33 at 3900 ft. was the Primary use runway when it was the only runway available. When you added 03/21 it became the primary use runway if it was longer then 15/33.

With this bigger airport, is 15/33 still the primary use, or did it shift to 03R/21L, as it seemed to recieve the bulk of AI traffic prior to my crosswind attempts?

When you Xwind all the runways the rules changed. There is no longer a Primary runway that ATC favors since all the runways are now active at the same time. Some of what detemines runway usage is parking spot position. Heading direction of inbound arrival traffic from the departing airport. Size of plane (Empty Weight in the aircraft.cfg file) which is based on additional rules. Type plane such as a single engine prop type, multi engine/turbo prop type or Jet Engine.

Country
us-minnesota
Apparently I got a parser error when compiling after redoing the X-winds.

Code:
Compiler Errors Found. These were not identified by the Issue Manager. Please let us know
what the compiler error is so that we can improve the Issue Manager.

The compiler message is shown below

ScruffyDuck Scenery Design Engine Compiling
Using BglComp....

Parsing document: C:\Games\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery\Princeton MN\scenery\KPNM_ADE9_EES.xml

*****  Duplicate Runway  *****ERROR C2031: Failed element parse <Runway>
ERROR C2032: XML Parse Error!  Element tree follows:

ERROR: <FSData
ERROR:    version = 9.0
ERROR: >
ERROR:    <Airport
ERROR:      country = United States
ERROR:      state = Minnesota
ERROR:      city = Princeton
ERROR:      name = Princeton Int'l
ERROR:      lat = 45.5598668754101
ERROR:      lon = -93.6082166433334
ERROR:      alt = 978.999F
ERROR:      magvar = -2.70001220703125
ERROR:      ident = KPNM
ERROR:    >
ERROR:      <Runway
ERROR:        lat = 85
ERROR:        lon = -93.6082166433334
ERROR:        alt = 0.0F
ERROR:        surface = ICE
ERROR:        heading = 37.6
ERROR:        length = 10.0F
ERROR:        width = 10.0F
ERROR:        number = 01
ERROR:        designator = NONE
ERROR:        patternAltitude = 0.0F
ERROR:        primaryTakeoff = NO
ERROR:        primaryLanding = NO
ERROR:        primaryPattern = LEFT
ERROR:        secondaryTakeoff = NO
ERROR:        secondaryLanding = NO
ERROR:        secondaryPattern = LEFT
ERROR:      >
ERROR:

ERROR: Compilation errors detected, compilation failed!

Parse complete!

Which seems odd, because I could've sworn my runways are uniquely separated.

Attachments

• morebugs.png
    morebugs.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 478
It appears you are working with a XML file. The runway list is the .ad3 project file list. Lower left corner of ADE9 should have a red bar if a duplicate runway exist in the project file. Click on the red bar and ADE will show you the error and fix it for you.

If you loaded from a XML file you might have to open that with a text editor and find the duplicate.

Country
us-minnesota
Aha! Figured it out. When you suggested checking the bar on the lower left, for some reason, it was showing up as green, even though the runways were having issues. So I ran the fault finder from the tools menu, and it showed me the duplicate runway issue. Apparently I had a x-wind set as 19/01, and another as 01/19. I gave them both secondary designations as "Right", and the airport successfully compiled.

As for the XML part, at the very beginning, the airport as designed with AFCAD2 before I ever got ADE, I loaded it into ade from .bgl, saved it as a ade project file, and did all the rest from the ade file. Thanks again! :)

EDIT: Running this new setup in FS9, it made me remember why I went with the other configuration, that had 15/33 as the primary. With wind coming from 216, and 03/21 as the primary, ATC directs traffic to 33, resulting in another tailwind. With the wind set in the OP, coming from 126, the one runway that had tailwind traffic, 07/25, is now the only runway with headwind traffic. So now, I'm unsure if I did the tutorials correct.

Attachments

• runways1.png
    runways1.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
Apparently I had a x-wind set as 19/01, and another as 01/19. I gave them both secondary designations as "Right", and the airport successfully compiled.

hi PlutonianEmpire

You are correct. The runway list shows the runway listed x2 and I overlooked it. I should have also recommended running the fault finder so I really was not much help in this case. Glad you were able to solve it.

Tailwinds are common using the Xwind technique for certain runways. Try and sort the runway list so you minimize tailwinds for the least amount of runways.

The last runway in the list should be the Primary Usage Runway and control the crosswind runways. We want to make FS think all runways are parallel to the last runway on the list. So always list the Primary Usage Runway last in the list so it controls which end of the crosswind runways will be the active. But like I said this can cause a runway based on its degree heading to have a quartering tailwind. Any wind thats 0 to about 10 kts is considered light and variable so its common to see larger planes use a runway with a quartering tailwind.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hey,

I am also having an issue with X-wind runway activation. I have done what is written down in the "how to" guide but still no joy. The outbounds still head for the inbound runway. I have tried changing the order of the primary runway etc.

I have added the AFCAD for someone to have a look and tell me what i'm doing wrong. Haha!

Thanks in advance,

Ricky

Attachments

• AF2_LOWW.bgl
    25.4 KB · Views: 282