• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

x86 file tester needed

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi all.

The newer versions of visual studio and the .NET versions have changed the behavior of the ANYCPU form of compiling. I have a zipped folder I'm attaching, that has been compiled as .NET version 4.7 with Windows10 64-bit.

I'm seeking someone with a 32-bit windows version to try to run the batchfile within the zip, to see if ANYCPU is truly ANYCPU. The file produces some shapefiles and reads one.

Attachments

• ShapeTest.zip
    44.6 KB · Views: 139

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Based on this article, you shouldn't be able to find anything 32 bit. I wouldn't think so by this point in time, but the reality could be different. Maybe an emulator will work for you.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Thank you George!

Anyone with 32-bit Windows7 or 8 or 10?

Since .NET 4.61 the behavior of ANYCPU .net has supposedly changed, with the clr intelligently choosing to run the apps as 32 or 64-bit depending on the operating system. I don't know if this pertains only to currently updated Windows10 32-bit, or if the word 'intelligently' is not truly in Microsoft's vocabulary.

I ask because it makes much more sense to build SBuilderX as ANYCPU if it does work in a 32-bit system. It lessens the confusion of any plugins or addons that may be developed, as well as any branching of open-sourced code that Luis Sa is going to release. If it does not work with Windows10 32-bit, then we must choose either 32 or 64-bit... and it will probably be 64-bit.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Dick,

I use AnyCPU in my tools, but that is with .NET 4.0. not with 4.6. It is working fine for me. The only problem is that when you use external libraries, like shapelib, you will need to provide both the 32 and 64 bit version. So that's a bit annoying. But as far as .NET code it works perfectly.

Actually I have no clue if many people still use 32 bit systems. I think most are 64 bit by now.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Arno.

There have been changes to the newer versions of .NET. The above example is for a vb.Net v4.7 program that will create and read shapefiles. I compiled it with VS2017 Community version as ANYCPU. It works great on my system, but I need some confirmation from a more recent 32-bit system.

Here's the link to the DLL I'm using:
https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=a613e1282404495f8c075dd29ed057a5

It looks to be a simple .NET solution to reading and writing shapefiles.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Dick,

I understand this test application uses .NET 4.7. I was just referring to your comment to compile SBuilderX that way. If I'm not wrong it relies on shapelib. So in that case AnyCPU would still require two version of that library. Unless you plan to replace it by this new one.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Arno.

Replacement is my thinking. Luis had problems with shapelib, and Windows10 ruined his solution for 64-bits. The x86 version I compiled still works with shapelib. This .net library seems like a good solution no matter which way SBuilderX develops.

Luis_Sá

Resource contributor
Country
portugal
Hello Dick,

I am typing from my old PC which boots either on XP or Windows 7 Professional. At the moment it is running W7 and it is 32-bit. The CreateShapeFile opened a console window for a while and then closed it. But a lot of files now appear in the folder Shapes.

So, I think this library that you are using and compiling with AllCPU also works on 32-bit Windows 7!

I will boot on XP to see if I get the same as George!

Regards, Luis

PS: Not a valid 32-bit app is what I get in the same computer running XP!

Last edited:

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Isn’t it time XP compatibility was disregarded? WannaCry apart, support and updates vanished a while ago, as they also did for Vista last spring.

Country
us-illinois
Sorry to have to interject this, but: :rolleyes:

Isn't it about time that those who post statements in this forum system that are inherently derogatory of other forum participants here ...should stop doing that ? :stirthepo

It should be reasonably apparent by now that most individuals here who purposely maintain multiple Windows versions in a multi-boot configuration on their hard drives, do so for specific reasons, and are more likely than not, going to be rather knowledgeable users.

And yet, they continue to be criticized, even when they are likely to be advanced Windows users who may also have generously contributed highly complex resources to the FS Developer Community, and in spite of having also gone so far as to indicate that ex: Win-7 is their primary working version of Windows (...without any obligation to 'explain' or to 'apologize' for also keeping a copy of XP on their computer that should have otherwise deterred negative and off-topic comments).

One might wonder why such a person that already knows how to maintain a multi-boot Windows configuration, and has already demonstrated considerable expertise with working in several versions of Windows, should not also be given the benefit of the doubt as to whether they know how to disconnect a computer running XP from the internet ? o_O

GaryGB

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
That's good news, Luis. This testing was in advance of some work being done for a rework of SBuilderX. I've made some Tile Server DLLs with AnyCPU, and they run on Windows10 64-bit with both SBuilderX and SBuilderXx86. So we won't need 2 sets of DLLs anymore.

As far as WindowsXP, I don't think anyone is truly interested in maintaining SBuilderX for that platform. I agree with Tom in that we need to move forward with our tools. P3D and Flight Sim World are both geared towards 64 bit and Windows 10. And that's the future direction from FSX. I would guess 90%+ endusers of these products are using Windows10 64-bit.

Thanks to the testers.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
.NET 4.5 and later are not available for XP anymore, so I guess a decision to use these versions of the framework indirectly is a decision to not support XP anymore. Which is probably a logical decision to take at this point in time.