1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XTOMDL final warning on index buffer

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by decapod, 1/11/07.

1. decapod

decapod

england
    Not sure which forum this comes under.

My FSX export for 3D canvas was used to export a model of around 26,000 polygons.

The MDL file was created, but the final message was:

warning : Index buffer exceeds maximum size

Which sounds a little ominous.

I delved into xtomdl and found the buffer limit is 65535 and this seems to be the total number of vertices for all polys in the model (i.e. polys * 3)

Which would limit models to about 21,000 polys!

I assume this is for older graphics cards that could only support 16bit index buffers - most are 32bit these days.

Has anyone else seen this? and is it a problem?
  2. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    There is indeed a "Vertex Buffer Limit" but note that is simply a "Warning."

All that means is that a "new" Vertex Buffer will be created for your model.
  3. decapod

decapod

england
    Happily, the model flys with no problems.
  4. n4gix

unitedstates
    I figured it would. All that happens whenever a new vertex buffer is required is that you're adding yet another draw call to the rendering engine.

The object is to create objects and optimized textures to minimize draw calls as much as possible.

If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend reading the series on "Performance Art" by Adrian Woods, Lead Art Developer for ACES:

http://blogs.technet.com/torgo3000/archive/2007/06/01/performance-art.aspx
  5. decapod

decapod

england
    Adrian sounds like the man to speak to when I'm over there next week ;)

I have a bit of a background in 3D/DirectX programming having written tools to view MS Train Sim models
    (http://steam4me.railpage.org.au/trainsim/sviewr.html)
    I may do the same for the MDL format soon.
  6. n4gix

unitedstates
    Yes, by all means speak with Adrian if you can get close enough... :D I wish I could go this year (I was there two years ago for the first DevCon), but alas finances won't allow it...

Ironically, FSX is largely responsible for this state of affairs. The uncertainty in the marketplace has caused sale of both FS9 and FSX products to suffer... :banghead:
  7. decapod

decapod

england
    FSX is the starting point for me and the gateway to MS Train sim 2.

Hopefully, with 3D canvas export I'll be adding another tool to the model creation process for FSX/TS2.
    TS2 may also give FSX a boost with modellers trying new things in both sims.

A train modeling friend of mine has already made a drivable Tank for FS9/FSX with 3D canvas and is keenly testing my export plugin for FSX for his aircraft.
    I hope to get a few others to try out FSX before TS2 is released and I hope we have a few FS modellers trying out trains.
    TS2 is probably going to boost FSX over FS9, but is supposedly vista only which may put a few people off.
  8. n4gix

unitedstates
    With both Owen Hewitt and myself involved, there is a high probability that Eaglesoft DG will have a "Train Sim 2" division... ;)