1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XToMDL Problems? x64 Solution!

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by theisomizer, 19/11/11.

1. theisomizer

theisomizer

us-texas
    Uh oh. I'll send you a debug build over PM so I can get a proper stack trace.

What were the specific settings you used?
  2. Angelus1971

Angelus1971 Resource contributor

scotland
    I didn't change anything. Just load the .x file into the gui
    It could be the pandasoft generated .x file. I've heard it has some bugs. it doesn't seem to like textures, that i do know and it doesn't like my model as it is really complicated in bits.

If the 3ds exporter in Max 2013 hadn't changed from 2012, i wouldn't be exploring .x files !
  3. theisomizer

theisomizer

us-texas
    Oh, okay. That is the problem. My tool can only work with files generated by the Microsoft/Lockheed exporter plugins. They use specific extensions to the .x format and have a rigid hierarchy that must be followed for the mesh to be displayed and animated properly. The pandasoft exporter only uses default .x file templates, but leaves out a lot of data that is necessary for the model to be represented properly in the FSX scene graph.

If you go over to LM's Prepar3d forums, you might be able to nag them into releasing a version of the exporter compatible with Max 2013 in the next SDK update.

Out of curiosity, what were you using the .3ds format for? I'm not aware of any method that can export a 3ds directly to a FSX .mdl.
    Last edited: 25/4/12
  4. Angelus1971

Angelus1971 Resource contributor

scotland
    I need to export out of 3ds Max into gmax so that I can export to mdl, but Max 2013 has changed the 3ds format slightly so I have still to use 2012 for the moment.

The other problem with nearly every exporter is that people and companies don't have or won't develop x64 versions. Everybody I know uses x64 machines and software and have for years. We need the power!

And the guy who wrote pandasoft .x wont answer his email to get some support on most of his bugs.
    Last edited: 25/4/12