• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX 33MO - Leaming Field Lighting Progress

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I decided to start a new thread on the 33MO - Leaming Field project because the original was getting a bit long.

In any case, this thread is meant to "showcase" the lighting progress being made here.

Today I created a HeloRampLight model, textured it and created the diffuse/specular lighting polys. Here you can see the new model placed as a parking ramp light on the NE Ramp. Note how it "illuminates" the front of the Vespa scooter-car! ;)

33moleamingfield000001.jpg

Country
germany
OMG :yikes: Bill! You did it! Does it illuminate only the user a/c (or whatever you are driving there) or does it illuminate EVERYTHING?

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
OMG :yikes: Bill! You did it! Does it illuminate only the user a/c (or whatever you are driving there) or does it illuminate EVERYTHING?

Any object within the range of the light's "beam..." :D

I was limited to the angle of the light box's "hood," so extending that out the full diagonal of the 40' square polygon gives ~5.2' "rise" at the furthest end.

Last edited:
Country
us-georgia
I am going to have to hit you up for this down the road when I put in my heli pad!

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Helo Ramp Lighting: How To Do...

Here are a couple of screenshots illustrating how I've set up the 3d lighting for the Helo Ramp Light:

heloramplighttutorial01.jpg

The image below shows the 'recipie' I used for the FSX Material:

1. the fresnel ramp is 256x4 pixels, RBG 32,32,32, Specular box checked.
2. the Diffuse Color is white, no Alpha
3. the Specular Color has a RGB 'gradient light splash' image, white Alpha
4. the Specular Color bitmap is also used in the Self-Illumination slot!
5. Blinn Opacity is set to zero, Blinn Ambient, Diffuse, Specular colors are RGB32,32,32
6. Special Functionality: Blend diffuse by inverse of specular map alpha
7. Reflection Scale: 0 Specular Map Power Scale: 256
8. Source Blend: DestColor
9. Destination Blend: InvSrcAlpha
10. Emissive Mode: AdditiveNightOnly
11. Enhanced Parameters: No Shadow box checked

heloramplighttutorial02.jpg

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
No, I don't have a clue. I only turned on DX10 long enough to see what, if anything, happened. I didn't like what I saw so I turned it off and never have looked again...

The first link doesn't work, btw.

Country
unitedstates
Bill,

It looks gorgeous!

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get rid of the interference bands from your original efforts? I've tried changing about everything and my light splashes still look like bulls eyes.

Jim

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Bill,

It looks gorgeous!

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get rid of the interference bands from your original efforts? I've tried changing about everything and my light splashes still look like bulls eyes.

Jim

Jim, I discovered that if I apply a Filter/Texture/Texturizer in Photoshop using the "sandstone" texture, and keep both sliders fully left (50%, 1%), that the gradient banding completely disappears! :D

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
New Tower Completed!

Here is my new tower at night, using my "Porch Light" for the ground light splash, as well as the overhead fixture (lighted of course). The wall splash of light is done in Photoshop for the lightmap texture.

Note the subtle lighting of the consoles, as well as the radar repeater overhead... :D

33moleamingfieldtower01.jpg

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
It looks great Bill ;) When do you think we can have that multiplayer fly-in? :D

Man, I'm hoping before the Second Coming at least! :)

I keep finding "things to do" such as creating fire extinguishers on carts to scatter around near parking spots. Even though there's a fire department on the field, it's best to have something to grab quickly, just in case... ;)

I'm also sorting through every building so I can do custom textures and night lighting. I intend to have 90% of the models in the airport.bgl file, so I can have better control over the visibility at various scenery density settings.

Country
us-illinois
No, I don't have a clue. I only turned on DX10 long enough to see what, if anything, happened. I didn't like what I saw so I turned it off and never have looked again...

The first link doesn't work, btw.
Hi Bill:

Thanks for the heads up on the expired link... I get these sometimes when I've found a thread via a Search function and the URL is from a Search results page. :eek:

The URL above is updated and working now. ;)

The question I had above was based on the observation of what appeared to be a "stepped gradient" in the light splash. :scratchch

I was originally curious if this was due to a DX 10 vs DX9 rendering engine issue, but now I see there are overlapping bands from the light "layers" which create an "interference pattern" as described by Jim D..

I really like the lights either way, and am also glad to see the solution you've implemented for the light splash on the building in the texture, but I'm still curious if you have been able to resolve the "band" or "interference" effect in the Ramp light splashes on the ground as above ?

I had to chuckle reading your latter post as it reminds me of myself and so many others here who have now been seriously "bitten" by the scenery development bug.

Hmmm... As detailed as the scenery already was, I wonder if we shouldn't have had a few fire extinguishers placed around the premises at Emma Field years ago ! :eek:

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=73774

Sheesh... In a favorite FS scenery, one can never, ever be detailed enough ! :D

GaryGB

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I really like the lights either way, and am also glad to see the solution you've implemented for the light splash on the building in the texture, but I'm still curious if you have been able to resolve the "band" or "interference" effect in the Ramp light splashes on the ground as above ?

This was answered in Reply #11 above:

I discovered that if I apply a Filter/Texture/Texturizer in Photoshop using the "sandstone" texture, and keep both sliders fully left (50%, 1%), that the gradient banding completely disappears!

Country
us-illinois
This was answered in Reply #11 above:
Hi Bill:

I'm hoping to better comprehend where in the scheme of things described via "the 'recipe' I used for the FSX Material:" in your Post #6 above, one would "apply a Filter/Texture/Texturizer in Photoshop using the "sandstone" texture, and keep both sliders fully left (50%, 1%)" as stated in your Post #11.

Perhaps I'd better grasp this by 'inference' if only I had more direct experience with GMAX. :confused:

But as a beginner with GMAX, I'd welcome any further kind explanation you might offer for this innovative procedure (when you have time), which via the additional implementation of a "sandstone" texture described in your Post #11, sets things up in the custom lighting so "that the gradient banding completely disappears". :eek:

Many thanks again, for your generous and abundant contributions to the FS Community borne from your considerable experience; and thanks too, for your enduring patience with those of us who are very new to the advanced GMAX concepts that likely are second nature to you ...in your extensive experience. :)

I must confess, Fr. Bill, that I have previously focused more on learning the terrain scenery aspects of the SDK, and have felt compelled to avoid 3-D modeling for years, knowing it is an entire learning curve unto itself which merits proper study, and which would compete with terrain endeavors for my limited available free time. ;)

But your GMAX related Tutorials here and elsewhere... are helping make that learning process easier. :idea:

PS: In addition to admiring your detailed and skilled work, I have observed the caveats implicit within a signature you once used in another forum: :teacher:

"I used to have a life: now I have GMax, C Gauges and FS9."

GaryGB

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I'm hoping to better comprehend where in the scheme of things described via "the 'recipe' I used for the FSX Material:" in your Post #6 above, one would "apply a Filter/Texture/Texturizer in Photoshop using the "sandstone" texture, and keep both sliders fully left (50%, 1%)" as stated in your Post #11.

Perhaps I'd better grasp this by 'inference' if only I had more direct experience with GMAX. :confused:

That "tip" really has nothing whatever to do with either Max or GMax. It is in reference to the use of Photoshop while creating/editing the lightmap texture to be used in the sim. The only connection with Max/GMax is the filename...

Note that in the image(s) below the lightsplash has already had the "sandstone" texturizer applied, so no gradient banding is seen. Before the process, the banding was very, very obvious... :eek:

photoshoptexturizer01.jpg

photoshoptexturizer02.jpg

Country
us-illinois
That "tip" really has nothing whatever to do with either Max or GMax. It is in reference to the use of Photoshop while creating/editing the lightmap texture to be used in the sim. The only connection with Max/GMax is the filename...
Hi Bill... I do sincerely appreciate your replies ! ;)

So, if I follow this correctly, the "sandstone" texturizer is applied only to the HeloRampLight_LM.psd file that is intended for use in "Self-Illumination: Map #6" as seen in the GMAX Material Navigator in your Post #6 above ? :scratchch

And IIUC, after that material (and all others in the project) have been mapped to the 3-D model in GMAX, when final output files are created, those mapped *.psd files must all be copied, "flipped", and converted to *.DDS files for use in FSX ...using a graphics utility (ex: FSX SDK ImageTool) external to GMAX itself ?

Thanks so much for your further clarification. :)

GaryGB

Last edited: