• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA puzzeling exporting problem

Country
unitedkingdom
ok so i'm trying to get a pretty high poly plane into fsx (72k+ verts) but i'm hitting the "Vertex list has to many verts" error when i try to compile it. So i go through the materials to find the culprit (select material, show assigned parts, export selected) found out it was the interior texture. So i did the create new matieral trick but still got the error. So i went through all the materials again, but this time when the parts are exported they all compile :confused:

Anyone got any ideas cos i'm stumped :(

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
How many texture verts does the interior material have? More than 65k?

Country
unitedkingdom
its saying it has 76799 verts. I've seen one area on the UV map that could possibly be changed but its still not going to get rid of 10k verts.

Also as i said before, when i select the parts that have one of the int texture materials applied (i have 4 clones of it) then they compile fine, its only when the whole interior is exported that it wont compile :confused:

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Also as i said before, when i select the parts that have one of the int texture materials applied (i have 4 clones of it) then they compile fine, its only when the whole interior is exported that it wont compile :confused:

I *think* I remember reading that you'll have to slightly alter one aspect of a cloned material to make XtoMDL recognize it as a new one - might be as easy as decreasing the specular value one incement or so.

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Hi Stiz,

this topic was recently raised here. The problem with the "cloning the material" method is, that you don't really SOLVE the problem. If you keep cloning materials as soon as you run into this problem, you might get problems with the performance of your model.

Cheers,
Vitus

Country
unitedkingdom
I *think* I remember reading that you'll have to slightly alter one aspect of a cloned material to make XtoMDL recognize it as a new one - might be as easy as decreasing the specular value one incement or so.

that was it, thanks Bjorn!

this topic was recently raised here. The problem with the "cloning the material" method is, that you don't really SOLVE the problem. If you keep cloning materials as soon as you run into this problem, you might get problems with the performance of your model

I was worried about the performance dropping, but the rest of the model is pretty well optimized, draw cells for the whole think so far is 12 :)