• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Ground Polygon Wizard available

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I have just released a new development release that contains a ground polygon wizard as well now. Since there is no manual for this functionality yet, I have explained the details on my blog.

Let me know if you have any suggestions or comments on this new feature.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Other than custom-marked aprons, what would you use these polygons for?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
It's not clear to me (a complete newbie to this) how I use GMAX to create a file that MCX can read.

If I use this tutorial on using GMAX to create ground polygons:

http://www.simpilotnet.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=206&Itemid=32

It creates a separate FS2002 BGL file for each layer, while you are importing a single file into MCX in your blog post. I assume that I would simply export the entire file from GMAX at one time. But in what format? I do understand that I would create (at least) one material for each layer I want in the final project.

Would you suggest an FS9 scenery MDL file? (this is for FS9, BTW). Does this keep all the information you need for MCX? I don't have the FSX SDK installed on this machine.

Thanks,

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Most people use these ground polygons to make custom runways, aprons, taxiways, ground markings, etc.

In the end it is up to the developer to choose how he wants to use it. But if you want to make a realistic scenery the textures/variety offered by BGLComp is often not enough, so then the custom ground polygons come in handy.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
And an FS2004 scenery MDL file produced by GMAX is OK for this?

Country
russia
Hi

I created a test site in GMax. Appointed him texture Diffuse (texture .bmp) and Ambient (texture_LM .bmp). Exported in *.mdl.

Opened *.mdl in ModelConverterX. The Material Editor is Diffuse and Nightmap.
Ground Polygon Wizard convert *. bgl - o'key.

Open *.bgl's ModelConverterX. The Material Editor is: Diffuse, but NO Nightmap.

Why not convert Nightmap?

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
As Arno says in his blog (link in first post):

"There are some additional features that I have planned already, mainly the option to add night and seasonal textures with the wizard as well."

So he hopes to add those later.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
And an FS2004 scenery MDL file produced by GMAX is OK for this?

Yes, ModelConverterX can read FS2004 scenery MDL files as well. So these can be imported and converted to ground polygons.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Why not convert Nightmap?

As mentioned by Tom already that feature is not implemented yet. I hope to add it soon.

I guess it is because the test project I used to test the functionality did not have night textures :(

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I have just made a fix, now if the model has night textures assigned already they should be exported correctly into ground polygons. This will be in the development release from tomorrow.

The ground polygon wizard GUI does not yet have an option to add night textures if they are not there. That is still todo :).

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Excellent tool!!! Thanks, Arno!

So, did you definitely solve the missing autogen problem? I remember that, in my last scenery, I gave up the ASM ground polys to FSX because of that!!!

Great news!

Jorge.

Last edited:
Country
russia
Hi,

I have just made a fix, now if the model has night textures assigned already they should be exported correctly into ground polygons. This will be in the development release from tomorrow.

Excellent news!
Don't forget about adding seasonal textures.

Country
russia
ARNO, We would very much like to see in the Ground Polygon Wizard , the possibility of appointing the seasonal textures and their options, similarly as in MDL_Tweaker

20110211-091322.jpg

Attachments

• 20110211-091322.jpg
    20110211-091322.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 590

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Yes, seasonal textures like in MDL Tweaker II is indeed on my todo list. It will just take a little longer to implement than the night textures, which was more like a small bug fix :).

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
So, did you definitely solve the missing autogen problem? I remember that, in my last scenery, I gave up the ASM ground polys to FSX because of that!!!

Yes, I think I got it sorted out now. For FSX at least, I do not have FS2004 installed anymore so I could not test if it works in that version as well.

Hey Arno,

I noticed the ground doesn't have the "rain effect". Is there a way to have this option available, or manually edit the material settings from within mdlconverterx?

Kindly,

Blazer