• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Photoreal Resample Resolution

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi all.

I've found that resample for FSX does such a good job, that it will resample at far greater resolutions than FSX can display.

The highest resolution for FSX is 7cm/pixel ( about 2.75 inches ). This is LOD19 ( actually 6.67943E-07 degrees/pixel ). AUTO does a good job choosing the LODs.

Here's an example:
Code:
[Source]
Type                = GeoTIFF
SourceDir           = "source"
SourceFile          = "Hello.tif"
Layer               = Imagery
Variation           = Day
NullValue           = 255,255,255

[Destination]
DestDir             = "scenery"
DestBaseFileName    = "Hello"
DestFileType        = BGL
LOD                 = Auto

The source is a very small TIF made by MSPaint, and geotagged by GeoTifExamine. A note, if you expect a sharp 1 pixel line, it won't happen... FSX, as do FS9 and FS2002, smooths images. But you will see a line!

HelloExample.JPG

Dick

Country
australia
Dick

What is the largest size .tif (pixels) that we will be able to use in FSX and what area would this cover using LOD = Auto

Steve

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Steve.

I guess the largest pixel dimensioned tif image would be controlled by the size of your computer's memory... but I'm not sure of that.

The geographic bounds are controlled by the X and Y scale tif tags. I believe resample cannot compile over the international date line ( where -180 meets 180 ).

Dick

I would not use bigger then MS used.
Because, the terrain engine has to handle this data, on different systems, in a game.

Kind regards
Hort

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi all.

I am using a 360x360 pixel image tagged to cover the whole earth. Resample happily is working on it! LOD 13 is 402653184 cells! Looks like I've got an hour to wait for the end result.

Edited:

It now looks like I have over 12000 hours to wait. I guess I'll stop it. ;)

Dick

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
GreyWorld.JPG

This was from a geoTif 359x179 pixels, tagged as 1.0 degree span.

Code:
[Source]
Type                = GeoTIFF
SourceDir           = "source"
SourceFile          = "GreyWorld.tif"
Layer               = Imagery
Variation           = Day
NullValue           = 255,255,255

[Destination]
DestDir             = "scenery"
DestBaseFileName    = "GreyWorld"
DestFileType        = BGL
LOD                 = 0,5
CompressionQuality =10

Everything seen as LOD0 to LOD5 is grey, and anything "closer" is the sim's default colors.... in the center of the above pic, you can see the default ground tiles.

So can a resampled geotif cover the whole earth? Yes.

LOD13 is the 5m/pixel resolution. LOD15 is the new 1m default texture resolution.

Dick

Country
australia
But the final result in FSX is a DXT3 with the Co ordinates all compiled into a .bgl. :confused:

An Airport like KLAX could be covered by one Image at say 1ft per pixel :confused:

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
But the final result in FSX is a DXT3 with the Co ordinates all compiled into a .bgl. :confused::

The image is in the BGL... I don't know if the format is DXT at all.

An Airport like KLAX could be covered by one Image at say 1ft per pixel :confused:

Yes. I covered the small town of Delavan Wisconsin at 1 meter/pixel, and it looked very good. If you have the data, and the correct projection, you can cover any ground you like.... vectors do not show over the photoreal, but runways and taxiways and aprons do show. Ground traffic travels over the photoreal.

Dick