• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

New MS Flight Media Coming Tomorrow (Jan 4th)

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Lots of new info to digest.

It is Hawaii only. It is a free download. It will be released this spring. There will be additional free content if you have a Live! account. Other world "regions" will become available for purchase through the Live! store. Region-specific weather and foliage... whatever that implies.

No word on ATC or long distance airline flights. It seems to be aimed at VFR, General Aviation flying.

No word on an SDK.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/#press-takes_to_skies

Dick

Country
panama
Just read the MS info......for what I read--It will be a "Closed" game..they place the planes, scenery etc in the Live Site Store and you and I buy from them in other words=Steam, MS style....very distasteful indeed!!!:eek::eek::eek:...I just ordered X-Plane 10:yikes:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I guess we need to wait for more information on the SDK and its possibilities. I don't read this information as meaning a closed platform. It could still be quite open to addons, but it could also not be.....

Just hope we hear more on that soon.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi all.

Here's a press release that seems credible and complete:

http://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4317/microsoft-flight-behind-scenes-at-microsoft-studios/

The disturbing part of the article is that there will be no SDK. All content will come from Microsoft. As I understand it, the free demo will include only the Big Island of Hawaii. Other islands will be available for purchase.

We can hope the information in the article is incorrect... but it seems pretty detailed and specific to me. It appears to be a closed sim, of very narrow geographic coverage, with a mission/goal based format. A Hawaii flying game, that may have mission packs and region packs available for purchase in the future.

Pretty depressing after a wait of 6 years. No wonder Microsoft has kept it's development so secret.

Dick

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Dick,

I also noticed somebody else posted the link to this article. I haven't read the SDK part in any other article, so let's wait for a confirmation.

But if it is true, I would say Flight is not interesting at all. Then it will remain FSX or maybe X-Plane in the future for me.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Arno.

The only reference to an SDK for Flight I've seen is a Microsoft job posting about a year ago... Bill Leaming found it and posted about it at AVSIM.

Other than that... nothing. And with a spring release, it is worrysome that there is no mention of 3rd party content or modding allowed by the official Flight news.

Also, the beta hasn't even started yet, and there is only about 3-4 months until the free core of the sim is released. What on earth is the beta even being used for?

Dick

Country
nicaragua
It won't have an SDK. At least for freeware developers. What I'm seeing as a developer paying a fortune to have the FLIGHT SDK and part of what he gains with selling the model must go to microsoft. I'll just keep the FSX SDK under my wing for as long as it has to be... I can only imagine the Aerosoft guys laughing right now...

Country
us-utah
My take on it is that it is going to be a scaled down flight sim. I mean why is it not called Flight Sim 2012? (or even 11) Some game companies are doing this. Insted of putting alot of time and money into a new version they make a scaled down updated version (hence why it looks so much like FSX) and sell it for half price. Its the times. :rolleyes: I could see it being Hawaii only with say 5 or 6 planes, lots of missions and selling for $30.

Guess I was wrong... It will be free. :p I feel bad for a certain someone from our forum that will have to go to avsim and eat alot of crow.

Country
us-arizona
I'll wait and see. I like that A5 Icon. Looking good there. (Automobile interior). :d

I am toying with coming out with my own flight sim. I want to make one so bad. I think it would be pretty good fun. I would have like one state for startups.

Country
panama
They sure started 2012 with a bad swing!!!!....but many guys said it all along the "photo shoot" MS pasted all over.....Well I have started doing some X-Plane airfields and scenery and obviously I will continue on track with FSX....Hawaii gets covered in a few hours or minutes so do the Salomons, Tarawa, etc :mad:

Country
us-utah
According to Flyawaysimulation:

"The game will feature it’s own marketplace, with content regulated by Microsoft. There will be no scenery development kit and hence no user created content."

http://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4317/microsoft-flight-behind-scenes-at-microsoft-studios/

Just read this also. What is FS without adding a little something of yours to it?

I'm not to surprised its Hawaii only after all the hush hush. They wanted to reel you in as far as they could before being forced to make the announcement. It would have been worse If we all found out by a beta tester that leaked the info. The A5 Icon is a little ugly to me... My only hope is maybe we find some code in there to help FSX take better advantage of today's hardware... Ok its a longshot but I can dream can't i? :)

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
If true about no SDK, seems the path would be sticking with FSX or moving on into Prepar3D. At least they are updating the code and SDK.

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
According to Tom Allensworth at AVSIM:

"I forgot to add that as for the freeware hobbiest that has grown our hobby, well, with FLIGHT, the end of freeware is upon us, as far as I can tell."

It doesn't look good for us freeware developer's!