• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

OT; Apple iPad HD is released

Country
us-arizona
Man, they just keep improving this thing. The graphics on the video at Apple.com are incredible.

I have the early Mark I series and it studders. I cant imagine how fast it would be with a 4 core chip, lol... Crazy wild...

Bill

Country
us-newyork
+1!

It makes me happy to see Apple produce something with more impressive performance. This is the iPad for geeks. About time already :p

Country
us-colorado
In other words, the i"we only added minimal features but you're still going to have to pay $500"Pad was released today

Country
unitedkingdom
yawn .... tell us when they actually release something different to what they have allready. Upping the screen rez and adding a bigger pixel camera isnt "redefining the tablet" They really need a new person to think up names as well :tapedshut

Country
us-arizona
Edited; 'blah blah... blah. blah blah blah, blah blah.. blah blah blah... '

Last edited:
Country
us-newyork
Wow, apparently there's no love for Apple here. Admittedly I don't even own an Apple product, but I do admire what they do. I agree about the prices, but they really do make some nifty hardware.

Also, Android is absolutely horrible from a programming standpoint.

(Plus the fact that I get paid to write iOS applications/games means I am super stoked about the A5X's graphics capabilities!) ;)

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Nearly as much hostility/enthusiasm as there is for Flight ... enjoy, Bill!

Country
us-arizona
Nearly as much hostility/enthusiasm as there is for Flight ... enjoy, Bill!

Arrigatto Tom.

May Flight do well and the people that fly in it enjoy it greatly.

Wow, apparently there's no love for Apple here. Admittedly I don't even own an Apple product, but I do admire what they do. I agree about the prices, but they really do make some nifty hardware.

theisomizer

I agree. I am glad my iMac was designed to allow dual boot with Windows XP. I have opened this thing up only 2 times. Once was to put a bigger hard drive in it, and the second time was to put another bigger hard drive in it, a 2TB.

(Plus the fact that I get paid to write iOS applications/games means I am super stoked about the A5X's graphics capabilities!)

theisomizer

I didnt know you did iOS programming! I paid into the iOS training SDK system last year, (and did nothing... sigh.. ). I have a few idea's for some Apps. When I get back on my feet financially again, I would like to knock on your door for some programming.

That new A5X quad core will be pretty sweet. Hard to believe the new iPad's resolution is greater then 1082P which is what my 42" LCD HDTV runs at with a computer link. To have that in a hand held will be nice.

Such amazing technology in the pixel science, how to get that many per square inch. Dual layering, I guess, is how they got around signal degradation.

Bill

Country
us-arizona
Hey George,

Nope. High Definition in this case, or 'Retina' view. The human eye cannot see the pixels, as they now make screens that have ultra small RGB pixels. iPhone 4 has this.

Apple is actually walking away from spinning HD's. Their new Macbook Air laptops are all SSD HD's. You can drop them and no damage. No need to defrag, instant and ultra fast data management.

Bill

In other words, the i"we only added minimal features but you're still going to have to pay $500"Pad was released today

I'm not sure how you define minimal features. The highest resolution consumer tablet screen ever produced, undoubtedly the fastest graphics chip used in a mobile device (by a vast margin), most likely the fastest mobile CPU? The A5 alone beats the likes of Tegra 3 in a huge amount of circumstances (despite being a year older) so the A5X is likely to annihilate the recent offerings from Nvidia.

Plus a significant camera upgrade capable of 1080p and a backlit sensor.

So apart from the screen, the CPU, the GPU, the camera, and the connectivity (has LTE capable radio), what exactly are these minimal features?

It's a shame that the uninformed often post the most isn't it?

A quick correction Bill - The A5X isn't quad core. It's dual core. The GPU on the other hand is quad core. That said, even though the CPU is dual core it's likely built on the Arm15 architecture set and as such will dominate performance of quad core offerings such as Tegra 3.

The resolution is excellent, but all this discussion of 'more pixels than a HDTV' irks me a little. Viewing distance is everything - hold your HDTV 10 inches from your face and no doubt you'd be able to see a hell of a lot of pixels!

Edit: As for SSD's, I'm yet undecided. Price per GB is still too high for most applications and they degrade a little too fast.

Regardless, the ipad 3 is the best tablet available and will be for some time.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
For me, the problems with the iPad are practical ones. Maybe it is the best tablet out there. But the cost is prohibitive for me, and if there is no usb output, it is of limited use to me.

Bob

Country
us-colorado
I'm not sure how you define minimal features. The highest resolution consumer tablet screen ever produced, undoubtedly the fastest graphics chip used in a mobile device (by a vast margin), most likely the fastest mobile CPU? The A5 alone beats the likes of Tegra 3 in a huge amount of circumstances (despite being a year older) so the A5X is likely to annihilate the recent offerings from Nvidia.

Plus a significant camera upgrade capable of 1080p and a backlit sensor.

So apart from the screen, the CPU, the GPU, the camera, and the connectivity (has LTE capable radio), what exactly are these minimal features?

It's a shame that the uninformed often post the most isn't it?

A quick correction Bill - The A5X isn't quad core. It's dual core. The GPU on the other hand is quad core. That said, even though the CPU is dual core it's likely built on the Arm15 architecture set and as such will dominate performance of quad core offerings such as Tegra 3.

The resolution is excellent, but all this discussion of 'more pixels than a HDTV' irks me a little. Viewing distance is everything - hold your HDTV 10 inches from your face and no doubt you'd be able to see a hell of a lot of pixels!

Edit: As for SSD's, I'm yet undecided. Price per GB is still too high for most applications and they degrade a little too fast.

Regardless, the ipad 3 is the best tablet available and will be for some time.

Perhaps not minimal features, but still negligible to warrant an entirely new release.

-4G - OK, but that's a battery killer and isn't widely available (AT&T's 4G isn't even true 4G

-Resolution - Nice upgrade, but not everything is in HD and battery issues are the question again

-No USB port (there are people who aren't with the cloud yet, including me)

-No SD card slot

-The cheapest iPad is $500...that's a hefty hunk of change when netbooks and laptops are now quite affordable (and that's not counting an additional $130 if you want "4G")

-Apple accessories are very expensive (a stand alone charger is $29, and there's cases if you want to protect your iPad)

-Camera upgrade is good, but who's going to hold a 1.4 pound tablet up for an extended amount of time to take video or multiple pictures?

Here's one single Android tablet at $500, which is very competitive with the iPad.

So please, just ask me to explain myself instead of calling me "misinformed." I know it's foolish not to do your homework.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Perhaps this thread falls into the Flapple/iGHT category? Lighten up chaps! :D

Country
us-arizona
cscboulder11

All those features and updates and improvements and they 'did not' raise the price; same price, not more.

Perhaps this thread falls into the Flapple/iGHT category? Lighten up chaps! :D

Amen to that..

Country
us-colorado
All those features and updates and improvements and they 'did not' raise the price; same price, not more.

I meant $500 for Apple's legion to pay again. I do admire Apple on their business stance - they release a new product that isn't a huge upgrade and people will swarm to buy it, even if their previous versions are working and in good condition.

Country
us-arkansas
I got my first good IT job supporting MACs in a corporate environment. I've never owned one. Always been a PC/Windows guy (well, DOS, then Windows). But I wasn't afraid of them.

Never saw what was the big deal. Back in 1991 I used to put together a weekly auto racing newspaper with Pagemaker. I'd do some stories on pages on my PC and my partner do the rest of the page on a Mac SE30.

The first Apple product I ever bought was an iPod for my granddaughter.

Last year my sister, terribly untechnical, bought an iPad2. She uses it largely as a photo album, but also as a note taker in meetings, etc. My sister's iPad2 was such a hit that I got one for my wife last fall. She loves it.

I went to an iPhone4S in December, and one of the things I like about it is that it works exactly like the iPad2. Same interface, standard apps, shares calendars, etc.

(I wish we had the iPad2 to give to senior executives back in 2001. A full powered IBM laptop was too much for them.)

So I'm not an 'Apple fan boy' - but I do see their value.

Apple, or rather Steven Jobs, has been very good at 'giving customers what they need' rather than what they want.

The iPadHD is interesting. But I'm not dropping any money on one. What I have is just fine for our needs.

Back in 1972 when I first went to a foreign country in the Navy, and old Chief Petty Officer told me to avoid the smart a** American syndrome. These people are different, think different and do things different.

Different does not mean wrong. Neither way of doing things is always right or always wrong. Just different.

That's how I've always looked at the Mac/Windows - Apple/Android debate.

That's useless for me. It's only good for viewing video or read news, but not for being creative/work etc.

I even had a HTC smartphone, but after mistakenly download crap for 100.- bucks, I've sold it at ebay.