• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Bug Reports

MatthewS

Resource contributor
Country
australia
Please use this thread to post your bug reports.

In your bug report:-

1) Describe the bug and how to reproduce it
2) Attach your .KML file
3) Say what version of FSX KML you are using

Country
us-illinois
Weird Freeway Traffic

1) Describe the bug and how to reproduce it:

There is weird two-lane traffic (same direction) coming from the Lake Michigan toward Lakeshore Dr. B (From traffic flowing from north to the south on Lakeshore Dr.) just a few feet from where the traffic starts and apparently whre the freeway ends in FSX (on the north side.

Close to the downtown, the same femomenun happens. But this time, there is two lanes of flowing traffic leaving Lakeshore Dr. (B) toward the lake and two lanes of flowing traffic coming from the lake toward Lakeshore Dr (B).

I included the screenshots.

This thing only happens with Lakeshore DR_B kml (It does not happen with Lakeshore DR_A, which is for freeway traffic flowing from south of Chicago toward north on Lakeshore Dr.)

At first I thought the wierd traffic may have been caused bay some wrong coordinates. But that is not the case. Deleting some of them only moves the wierd traffic from and to the lake to other positions. Then I deleted all the coordinates and re-capture them (with TCalcX) so I could start from zero. But, at my amazement, the problem showed up again!

So I concluded, it has to be a bug.

2) Attach your .KML file:

Please, see below. I try to upload them again.

3) Say what version of FSX KML you are using:

FX_KML 1.06

Thanks,

dito

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Lakeshore DR_B Bug

Here is jus t the KML file creating wierd freeway traffic from and to Lake Michigan.

PS. I could not attach the screenshots perhaps for size reason.

dito

Attachments

• Lakeshore Dr_Bx.zip.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 710

MatthewS

Resource contributor
Country
australia
Currently in FSX there is a bug where excludes don't work for Freeway traffic (apparently fixed in SP1). Could this be the default FSX traffic showing up?

Also, check your FSX addon scenery folder to see what BGLS you have there. Maybe there are some old "test" BGLs that you created that are interfering with your current scenery.

Country
us-illinois
Currently in FSX there is a bug where excludes don't work for Freeway traffic (apparently fixed in SP1). Could this be the default FSX traffic showing up?

Also, check your FSX addon scenery folder to see what BGLS you have there. Maybe there are some old "test" BGLs that you created that are interfering with your current scenery.

There is no traffic on Lakeshore Dr in either direction in FSX default.

I simply followed instructions using GE and FS_KML 1.06 to add traffic on Lakeshore Dr. No excludes used. Only a path drawn in GE and FSX coordinates captures while slewing.

Amazingly it worked so well with traffic from south to north. But the kml file for traffic flowing to south creates the wierd thing as seen in the pics below.

Every time, I checked the addon scenery folder to make sure that the previous BGL file is deleted. So far thare are only two for Lakeshore Dr. (One for each direction).

SCREENSHOTS:http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113057

Thanks,

dito

Last edited:

MatthewS

Resource contributor
Country
australia
Amazingly it worked so well with traffic from south to north. But the kml file for traffic flowing to south creates the wierd thing as seen in the pics below.

I had a look at your KML file and it has an error in the vertices. Did you manually edit them?

Have a look at the XML tab. The first line or your coordinates has a leading zero, you need to remove it

Code:
<coordinates>
0 -87.655088387675,41.985484006052,0 -87.6542084296677,41.9854855189899,

Also your last line is missing the elevation, plus the longitude of -87.6005776355748 looks wrong to me. Shouldn't it be a number around the size of 41.98 like all the other vertices?

Code:
0 -87.6005776355748,-87.6005776355748</coordinates>

Country
us-illinois
I had a look at your KML file and it has an error in the vertices. Did you manually edit them?

Have a look at the XML tab. The first line or your coordinates has a leading zero, you need to remove it.

Code:
<coordinates>

Also your last line is missing the elevation, plus the longitude of -87.6005776355748 looks wrong to me. Shouldn't it be a number around the size of 41.98 like all the other vertices?

Code:

Did you mean Project Tab or really KML tab and then click on Open with Notepad?I added the zero to all longitute coordinates to be:0 space -87.xxxxxxx... to look the same as the coordinates I had to replace. The first time I entered new coordinates just as I copied them (-87.xxxxxxxxxx) I got an error message. But them, no more error messages at all.

No, I didn't edit any vertices. Frankly, I don't know what those are all about. The only thing I adited manually was replacing the GE coordinates by the FSX ones by use of TCalcX (Copy and paste).

]You are definitely correct. This is wrong. I will correct that when I get home or just eliminate that last coordinate point.

thanks, dito

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Finally NOT a bug!!

Have a look at the XML tab. The first line or your coordinates has a leading zero, you need to remove it

Code:
<coordinates>

Code:

Finally it was NOT a bug and I wished I could have seen where the problem was before reporting it as a "bug" - Please forgive me.

The problem was, within the coordinates, there was a place where a comma seperating longitude from latitude was missing. And another problem was due to the fact that somehow I had left out the minus (-) symbol in from of a (West) longitude coordinate. That was all!

Therefore, the problem was fixed and it looks beautiful now!

Thank YOU, Matthews!

dito

Country
germany
Internationalisation issue?

Hi,

I think I found a hiccup in fsx_kml 1.08 and it's still present in 1.09.

I am (obviously) using regional settings for Germany and they do not play well with fsx_kml when I try to edit vertices.
No matter if I try to edit the vertices manually, reverse them or assign a new elevation to all vertices, this is what happens:

Before editing, everything is fine (before.jpg), editing leads to problems with the seperators. (after_1.jpg). the *.zip file contains the resulting *.kml file.

The quick and dirty workaround for me is the temporary switch to US regional settings and everything works OK.
Not a show stopper by any means, but a minor nuisance...I have not had any problems compiling *.bgl files from unaltered *.kml files so I guess it's not a major thing.

Regards,

Alex

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 784
  • after_1.JPG
    after_1.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 763
  • Vaseux Lake Polygon.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 722
Country
panama
Using the latest version ;) v1.09 Beta.

I setup my options (directories) but when I try to quit the application it keeps on complaining that "Cannot save INI File" and it never quits until it is killed by the process manager (manual kill).

The program is not installed in a protected directory so I have no idea where on earth it is trying to save this INI file. Can I create one (sample please) so that I don't have to re enter the options each and every time I use the application?

MatthewS

Resource contributor
Country
australia
Using the latest version ;) v1.09 Beta.

I setup my options (directories) but when I try to quit the application it keeps on complaining that "Cannot save INI File" and it never quits until it is killed by the process manager (manual kill).

The program is not installed in a protected directory so I have no idea where on earth it is trying to save this INI file. Can I create one (sample please) so that I don't have to re enter the options each and every time I use the application?

Is the INI file marked as read only which would stop it from writing?

To check, locate C:\Windows\FSX_KML.INI, right click, choose properties and check read only attribute. Make sure its not set.

Country
panama
In my system that would be D:\Windows and there was no FSX_KML.INI there so I had to create it (touch) and assign Full permissions to this file for the restricted user account.

This is actually not a good practice for the security conscious people. The INI file should be stored in the user's profile directory, I believe that would be AppSettings or LocalSettings somewhere in the user's Document and Settings folder.

But well, at least for now this work around solves my problem.

Country
panama
Found Polygon Bug

I have run into this problem several times with v1.09. The first time I noticed it, it was a landclass polygon that I tagged as Grass and was smaller than the polygon hole. When looking at the SHAPE tab in FSX_KML it appeared to have been reshaped and enlarged.

Now I have a more concrete example. I created an exclusion polygon (plus the ocean which is a copy of the same) that would look like this ([X] is a tile):

[X][X][X]
[X][X]

that is how it appears in GE and what the coordinates tell. However FSX_KML shows this shape in the SHAPE tab:

[X]
[X][X]

According to this shape there would be 3 points with the same longitude, whereas the real shape that would not be true. As a result, I believe this is what is messing up my exclusion and fill polygons as well as the rendering of some of the landclasses.

Here is the XML for one example that exhibits this abnormal behaviour:

Code:
<Placemark xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.1">
	<name>1 Exclude QMIDs</name>
	<styleUrl>#msn_ylw-pushpin_copy2</styleUrl>
	<Polygon>
		<tessellate>1</tessellate>
		<outerBoundaryIs>
			<LinearRing>
				<coordinates>-79.18000000000001,8.60000000000000,0.00 
-79.18000000000001,8.61331900000000,0.00 </coordinates>
			</LinearRing>
		</outerBoundaryIs>
	</Polygon>
	<description>Exclude___Everything</description></Placemark>

Country
panama
v1.10 Cannot move element

I am using v1.10 and in my project I had a landmass polygon (polygonhole). I wanted to add a shoreline to the same shape so I used the Copy icon. The clone of this polygon appeared at the bottom of my project.

Subsequently I selected the clone at the bottom of the project list and tried to use the UP/DOWN icons to move it to the appropriate folder. It did not work, the copied item remained stuck at the bottom. I tried drag and drop but that did not do the trick either.

As a laster alternative I used the button "Edit with Notepad" and moved the poly by hand in the XML. Then clicked on File|Save and quitted Notepad. To my surprise FSX_KML did not update the project view to what was saved with notepad.

So that is two bugs :)

MatthewS

Resource contributor
Country
australia
As a laster alternative I used the button "Edit with Notepad" and moved the poly by hand in the XML. Then clicked on File|Save and quitted Notepad. To my surprise FSX_KML did not update the project view to what was saved with notepad.

You would also need to click the reload button in FSX KML.

Country
panama
Landclass polygons not showing

I have found something strange. When I create a polygon for part of my island and tag it with suburban-no-grid-wet or any other suburban thing, then the polygon is always rendered as a semidesertic area without houses or any sign of life.

I also have two lakes. Originally they were both the usual Hydro-Generic-Lake-Perennial but they were showing up in shocking iridiscent sea colour (FSX got all the land stuff wrong, FS9 was so much better at that). For the sake of an experiment I left one as Hydro polygon and still shows in that horrid colour BUT the other lake which I then changed to LandClass_INLAND_WATER (one of the new ones introduced in the latest version) then the lake no longer shows as lake but as some sort of beige sandy place.

Likewise, tagging a polygon as LandClass_Rock makes no difference as not defining a polygon for that area. It still shows as some beige sandy thing that is easily confused by the Coral "white" (more tan than anything) beach.

I think there is a bug in the mapping of these types of polygons

Last edited:

MatthewS

Resource contributor
Country
australia
Probably the best approach is to attach your KML. That way it can be examined.

Country
panama
Here is my KML file. I tried added another row of houses with a different tag so now one is of bricks the other of some other material. One is just NE of the airport but you will only see a brown deserted place without houses. The other is just northwest of the small lake that is near the airport runway. Again, only a brown road is shown.

As you see on my KML the houses are the last thing in the list so they should have been rendered after everything else yet none shows.

Last edited: