• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ModelConverterX alpha 03 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Here is a new alpha version of ModelConverterX. Main difference with the previous version is that I fixed some bugs. For example API macros with multiple Area (and EndA) commands in them should now load fine.

As I changed some code so that the produced X file is now also valid if you have the decimal character set to comma (you still need that character set to dot to be able to compile with XtoMDL though).

Still on my wishlist are support for multiple objects in one file and export as MDL instead of X file (so that you don't have to compile manually). But as I am away for my work the next week, I did not want to uphold this version until I have added that as well.

Last edited:
Country
scotland
Hi Arno

Here is my latest error report trying to compilefrom X to Mdl.
Seems to point to a problem with the GUID.

Iain

Last edited:
Country
netherlands
Hi Arno,
I converted the attached api and the image shows the result...
It's up to you to judge the result!
Can i use this x file with XtoMDL and then the output MDL in any design?

Regards
Bert

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Here is my latest error report trying to compilefrom X to Mdl. Seems to point to a problem with the GUID.

Can you post the X file again? The file you posted before worked fine for me, but maybe this one has another problem.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Bert,

I converted the attached api and the image shows the result...
It's up to you to judge the result!
Can i use this x file with XtoMDL and then the output MDL in any design?

I don't know how your API is supposed to look of course, but it seems the 3D viewer can not find all textures. But saving as X file and compiling that to a MDL will probably still show them all in FsX.

And yes, of course you can save as X file and use that in your design. That is the purpose of the tool :).

Country
scotland
Hi Arno

I have attached the X file, although it's still the same one as you tried before!

Iain

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Iain,

That is weird, as the one you send me before compiles fine here with me (or at least at home, I am now away for work, so can not test it again).

Are you able to compile other files with XtoMDL without problems? For example a sample file from the SDK?

Country
scotland
Hi Arno

Sorry for the delay, but I have been away from home for the past five days.
I have used Gmax with the FSX Gamepack and compiled objects without problems, which, as I understand, is using XtoMdl.

Can you confirm the line I should be using with the Command Prompt please. Maybe that's where I am going wrong.

Iain

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Iain,

No problem, I just got home from my trip for work as well. I'll retry your X file here and if it works let you know how I compiled it.

Arno

Ive got FS2004 and FSX Standard version loaded on my pc.

Love the idea of a programme that can convert apis to files that can be used inside FSX.

Reading thru the threads all i can see if references to the FSX tools folders.

Just wondering if i can use your program using the basic fs2004 that ive got to hand. My apologies if this has been asked before.

Thanks

Tom
Scotland

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Tom,

Not really sure what you mean with that question. The tool does not operate directly with Fs2004 or FsX. It uses the sources files that designers use to make their scenery. So it can read an API macro file and create a FsX style X file so that you can compile it to MDL object.

Hope that answers your question,

Arno

Thanks for getting back to me.

Apologies if i sound daft but was thinking about the XtoMDL program. Is that not in the deluxe FSX edition only.

Tom

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Tom,

Yes, you are right. I missed that you wrote you had FsX Standard. For the moment that means you can not use this tool, as the compiler that is needed only comes with the Deluxe version.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Iain,

Sorry for the delay.

Can you confirm the line I should be using with the Command Prompt please. Maybe that's where I am going wrong.

I just tried it again and your file compiles fine here. The syntax I used was simply:

XtoMDL testbox.x

Hi Arno

Thought that might be the case.

I understand all the stuff about copyright etc etc but do you if there is any available freeware out there that would do the same job as XtoMDL.

Thanks again

Tom

Country
scotland
Hi Arno

I appreciate you have been very busy lately, so thanks for getting back to me.
I thought the line must be wrong and indeed I was missing out the.x at the end. My test file compiles now to mdl and displays okay in FSX.
Will now try some other objects from my collection.

Thanks again

Iain

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Tom,

I understand all the stuff about copyright etc etc but do you if there is any available freeware out there that would do the same job as XtoMDL.

In this thread an "open" version of XtoMDL is announced. I did not try it with ModelConverterX yet, but it might be worth a try in your case.

Country
unitedstates
Trying to convert a *.scm file and am getting the following error.

Attachments

• Error.jpg
    Error.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 725

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Bill,

Trying to convert a *.scm file and am getting the following error.

Could you send me the SCM file? It seems you have found an unsupported command or so. If I have your file I can debug the problem (and hopefully fix it as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.