• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Mirror button in Gmax and 3ds Max

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
The old lags all know there is one button on the Gmax or 3ds Max toolbar we never use - the Mirror button.

mirrorbuttons.jpg

This is because in FS any object mirrored using the Mirror button will appear inside-out! Not good.
So why leave the blasted thing there on the toolbar? If you hold down Alt and drag the Mirror button down over the viewport you'll be presented with the chance to delete the thing.

Goodbye.... !

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
That's a good tip. It's also quite easy to use Customize to remove it from the toolbar.

However - and this is important - should you ever actually need the silly thing, it is still available to be used, it's just not in your face any longer! ;)

Country
unitedstates
The old lags all know there is one button on the Gmax or 3ds Max toolbar we never use - the Mirror button.

This is because in FS any object mirrored using the Mirror button will appear inside-out! Not good.

removed because accurate

Last edited:

hcornea

Resource contributor
Country
australia
I like the idea of a button I must not press under any circumstances.

It has been the plot of many a good movie ....

Country
puertorico
In defense of the much maligned mirror button ....

One of the early tips that the illustious Fr. Bill hammered into my cranial cavity (emphasis on the cavity), was to use Shape Merge as a sometimes-alternative to boolean cuts. One uses splines to create the "cutting" shapes.

HOWEVER, these darned splines are "handed" ... so you can do your shape merge (image a nice row of windows that you want to cut on the side of the fuselage) You place your circle-shapes (all attached, of course) on the right side of the fuselage, then do the shape merge, only to find the cuts appeared on the LEFT side of the fuselage. (which is okay, because you were going to do that anyway). Now you hit the mirror button, which "flips" the window-shapes, repeat the shape merge and the new windows are on the right side of the fuselage ... all without maniplulating the objects themselves.

The mirror button may not get much use, but it does have it's moments. Plus, by being there, it is also a testament to the modeller's strenght of will to resist temptation and use it when modelling "for real".

You know, adding mirror to the stack is so second nature to me, that I keep doing it after making the switch over to max. AND....I've often wondered if max mirror button would work. We know the effort to create Gmax from Max 4.0 clearly broke some things.

So, is it proven that Max's mirror button causes the same result as the Gmax's mirror button?

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
So, is it proven that Max's mirror button causes the same result as the Gmax's mirror button?

Yes it does, because as I wrote in another thread, the two operators have different functions and in how their use affects the scene.

1. Mirror Tool: mirrors both the surface mesh/polys and the normals
  2. Mirror Modifier: mirrors only the surface mesh/polys