• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Ade-gp 0.0.37

GHD

Country
england
Copy now works :D

But, I need a little help on texturing.

Never mind, I realised that the texture is stretched to fit the polygon. It is not possible to use the 'herring-bone' pattern unless the polygon has the same aspect ratio.

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
It is not possible to use the 'herring-bone' pattern unless the polygon has the same aspect ratio.
Yes. In an area such as you were trying to cover in the latest version of EFMA, you would probably want to use multiple long-narrow polys (parallelograms) with that pattern. The parking lines pattern, i.e., the one nearer the top, can however be distored within reason.

I gather (hope) the absence of other comments this morning is indicative that 0.37 is working to your satisfaction.

Don

Hi Don,

Not specifically applicable to 00.37 but how do you rotate a polygon? The options to rotate are not active and I cannot find anything back on the subject in the manual.

Roby

PS Unless I am the dumbest I ever met:), maybe more people may wonder?

GHD

Country
england
I have already asked Jon if he could provide rotate facilities for helpers, aprons and polygons.

Yes, I read it, but would it not be possible to rotate the texture instead of the polygon in the editor? Why the rotate options if you do not know how to make them become active? And what do they rotate? Or is it not implemented yet?
I do not even have the faintest why it is shown in a certain direction (definitely not north). Maybe from where you start drawing of the polygon?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

The editing of a polygon texture in the GP Texture Editor seems to work fine now, thanks. I was having a problem with textures at the bottom being lost when adding new ones to the list, but that seems to have been fixed now. :)

Since polygon textures seem to be working well, I started on adding a line texture. All I did was rotate renamed copies of your Patterned_Lines_40F texture to the right by 90 degrees. I then added it via the GP Editor, which appeared to go OK. However, it would be helpful to include in the PDF file to press Enter after entering the line style, to activate the rest of the text entry boxes.

However, when I quit the GP Editor and then started it again, my line style had changed from Horizontal to Vertical, and the GP Editor assumed they were vertical stripes.

Changing the U in the Lines_Def file to V manually, then the GP Editor behaves oddly. Rather than place the line's vertices into a horizontal alignment at my start location (red dotted line, pixel 508, width 13), it only places two connected vertices well below the bottom of the texture.

When instead I just copied and pasted your Patterned_Lines_40F textures, renamed them, and entered them into the Texture Editor (to get vertically oriented lines), when I restarted the Texture Editor it showed that this is Horizontal, rather than the Vertical that I entered originally (i.e. looks like the assignments are flipped). Trying to switch that back in the Texture Editor does not activate the Update Definition Files button, so I can't try to change that. In fact, no changes in the Line Style Definition section activate that button. I have to change something in the Texture Definition section to activate it (this is during the initial entry of the texture via the editor).

After editing the Lines_Def file manually to change that entry from V to U, it uses my entries properly to give me a red dotted line.

Then I tried to add another line definition to my existing copy of your lines file, and while I can add a new definition and enter the data, now nothing in the Texture Editor can activate the Update Definition Files button, so I have to abandon my changes. After this the texture seems permanently cursed, and nothing I do will activate the button. Even the supplied 40F texture seems to have this behavior.

So it appears that vertical lines are working OK (once I get the proper entry in the Lines_Def file), but horizontal lines are not. Also, changes in the Line Style Definition section do not activate the Update Definition Files button, and line textures cannot be edited at all.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

GHD

Country
england
I gather (hope) the absence of other comments this morning is indicative that 0.37 is working to your satisfaction.

I'm afraid not Don. My main problem is that poly-line vertices and polygons themselves are not positioned in FSX as they are in ADE. I have pretty much ruled out an ADE problem so it must be the GP-Editor.

More to follow.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

To rotate a helper, drag the little yellow circle next to the helper, once it is selected.

To get the rotate to work in the GP Editor, you must select all the desired vertices first. Then press the Rotate button.

Hope this helps,

GHD

Country
england
Hi,

To rotate a helper, drag the little yellow circle next to the helper, once it is selected.

Hope this helps,

I'm afraid it doesn't help. I need to set the rotation to and exact value which is impossible to do with the handle.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I don't understand the herringbone texture problem on polygons with different aspect ratios? It should just tile itself across the polygon, no matter the shape?

Here is a polygon that is clearly not the same proportions as the square texture, and it works fine.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Some things to watch out for:
1. Make sure you don't move any vertices separate from the others - any rotate, resize, or move operation MUST be with ALL vertices selected.
2. To make the stripes a different size, select all the vertices and use the resize buttons to change that. While you will be changing the apparent size of the object, you are actually changing how large the texture will be on the object, which doesn't change size in ADE.

Hope this helps,

Attachments

• ade_gp_crosshatch_ade.jpg
    ade_gp_crosshatch_ade.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 559
  • ade_gp_crosshatch.jpg
    ade_gp_crosshatch.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 690
Hi Tom,

Yes, it worked? 90º that is. Do not know yet about per degree.
Thanks,

Roby

PS the rotate options did not show up as being activated so I had to find out whether it worked or not by loading FSX.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Yes, I read it, but would it not be possible to rotate the texture instead of the polygon in the editor? Why the rotate options if you do not know how to make them become active? And what do they rotate? Or is it not implemented yet?
I do not even have the faintest why it is shown in a certain direction (definitely not north). Maybe from where you start drawing of the polygon?
Roby, it would seem your initial query was with regard to the GP editor.

The reason I don't rotate the texture is that this would effectively rotate all vertices relative to the texture. The user may not want this. Instead, the user selects the vertices he wishes to rotate (or whatever). This concept is discussed on page 4 of the user manual and is consistent with the Gmax material editor operation.

Don

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

I have a report about the size bars that appear in the GP Editor. While they are much improved, there may still be a size problem.

From the view in FS9 in the image above, the plane has a wingspan of 93 feet. Thus, the polygon seems to be about 245 feet wide.

However, in the GP Editor this is the display:

attachment.php

The polygon is listed as being about 120 feet wide, about a 2X error.

Hope this helps,,

Attachments

• ade_gp_editor size.jpg
    ade_gp_editor size.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 616

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I can accurately set the rotation angle of a helper to the nearest 0.1 degree. Is this not accurate enough for you?

1. Rotate the helper so you are within a half degree of your desired value (the tool tip displays the angle).

2. Zoom in so the yellow circle fills almost the entire screen.

3. Rotate the yellow circle so you get the exact angle desired.

Hope this helps,

Hi,

Now what do I do? I want it rotated 5º.

rotategptexture.jpg

It is just an example but it would be nice to have the explanation of "how to" in the manual as not everyone is as smart as we are:rolleyes:.

GHD

Country
england
A guy can hope, can't he? :(

Don

OK. Here is a demonstration of how the vertex positions in ADE don't match their positions in FSX.

In this pic, all coincident vertices have the same lat/long:

In FSX, the vertices are not the same and the position doesn't match that in ADE:

The positions of a polygon in FSX is different from the position in ADE:

I believe the polygon shift changes with the shape of the polygon.

In general, these anomalies are small but when one is working with photo-textures, they are significant.

I have added an opron to the project to show the problems and attach the project here.

Last edited:

GHD

Country
england
I can accurately set the rotation angle of a helper to the nearest 0.1 degree. Is this not accurate enough for you?

You are obviously much cleverer than I. I am lucky to get within 5 degrees.