• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Parking Radius and Aircraft Wingspan.

Country
germany
I am making some gates for the A340-600 which has a wingspan of apprx. 64 meters. In my ADE settings/Units all these are set to meters.
I set the parking radius at 32 meters and the aircraft wingspan at 64 meters which would seem to be logical. However in ADE the wingspan is far far to large and I must reduce this to 21.5 meters to bring it to the parking radius. This is no problem but is there an explanation to this.

The wingspan in the aircraft.cfg is Feet not Meters.

The A340-600 is 208.11 ft converted to meters is 63.431928 divided by 2 = 31.715964 rounded up to the whole number becomes 32 Meter.

The correct parking spot size for the A340-600 is 32 Meter.

Country
germany
Yes I have the parking radius at 32 meters but in Settings/Set Aircraft Wingspan I must set this to 21.5 meters so that the aircraft symbol wingspan agrees with the parking spot diameter of 64 meters, what has the aircraft.cfg file got to do with this aircraft symbol wingspan ?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
you are referring to Setting the aircraft symbol wingspan in ADE? I suspect there might be a unit conversion bug. If you confirm that is the issue then I will add it to the job list

Country
unitedkingdom
you are referring to Setting the aircraft symbol wingspan in ADE? I suspect there might be a unit conversion bug. If you confirm that is the issue then I will add it to the job list
I can confirm that this seems a bit odd. I have a parking spot radius set at 50.0 metres in ADE. When I 'connect' to FSX to see the "aircraft" symbol, I have to change the radius of the symbol to approx. 33.0 metres to make it the same as the parking spot.
I have to say that I have never given this any thought previously? Adding a 100 metre guideline confirms that the parking spot is showing as 100 metre diameter.

RayM

snip-------------------

what has the aircraft.cfg file got to do with this aircraft symbol wingspan ?

Nothing--------- I mis-read your post.

In answer to your question now that I understand what you are asking, the ADE Aircraft crosshair symbol has never had any relationship to the actual aircraft wingspan. The Meter value that you are setting in ADE for the Settings/Set Aircraft Wingspan is the diameter of the red circle.

The 32 meter parking spot (as you pointed out) is actually 64 meter in size when ADE displays the parking spot on the canvas. If you set the ADE aircraft symbol to 64 Meters then the circle (not the crosshairs) will be the same size as the ADE parking spot.

The red ring represents the wingspan rather than the ends of the aircraft symbol.

This allows for a very informative display when ADE is lock to FSX. Setting the circle to the actual wingspan for the ADE display gives a good visual. If the outer ends of the wing lines represented the wingspan it would be too small to see at many levels of zoom.

In FS9 we deal with the invisible circle as a model radius around the plane and then used a circle for parking spot spec.

In FSX we still have to visualize the radius circle around the planes model.mdl due to spacing of the aicraft when in line on a taxiway. Over a period of time ADE changed the terms from radius to wingspan which is more appropriate for FSX.

Last edited:
Country
germany
OK jvile, now I understand. I had been using the crosshairs as the aircraft wingspan not the circle. Many thanks to you all for the help.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Perhaps we need to make that a bit clearer in the documentation

GHD

Country
england
I never even consider the user aircraft symbol apart from its centre.