• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Aerofly 2 Released; Beta; Steam Games

Country
us-arizona
Hey all,

Well, I heard about this, checked it out, purchased it last night, and so glad I did.

Pictures say everything.

Its not finished yet, things are being finalized. Took some photos over Phoenix and Sedona (my part of the world). So nice to have photo real scenery.

If you like houses in 3d elements, you will not like this. You cannot add your own planes (yet?). I have yet to see a lot of the sim, I do not have 2 hours on it yet. Happy so far... (ecstatic...!)
3058t3059.JPG
305gj30wr5g.JPG
3509350hg.JPG
3598t359rg.JPG

Country
us-arizona
The second to the last photo above is Luke AFB. Its really like that. Photo scenery in Phoenix. No wonder they got it right.

Towards Deer Valley airport (my side of town, about 10 or 15 miles away, North Northeast, terrain became low resolution. Moved up to Sedona, terrain still in low resolution. I dont know if the sim reset the resolution or if my computer RAM was filled up.

I will take photo scenery over 3D buildings any time. Thats the way I fly I guess. If I am high up, it pretty much looks flat. Maybe if they had houses show up when you are close to the ground, that might work.

I also did get some jitters after flying 30 minutes. No rudder control on this plane. I did have rudder control last night on the Beechcraft Twin.

Impressed... Very impressed. Must yet to discover though.

Purchased on Steam; $50.00 USD; 31 Gig download, about 6.5 hours.

Country
us-arizona
Oh, that top photo above, the very top, that is the mountain range in FSX that is half bright green with a golf course on it. (In FSX, not this). Here, in that photo, is what the 'actual' mountains look like.

Country
us-arizona
Well I'll just leave these here, then. :)
Smoooo-o-oooth Aerofly airplane pron:

Thanks HF! I'll check those videos out tonight. Wanting to flying that 'four seven'.

I flew the Hornet in AeroFly1 through Switzerland quite a bit.

Country
us-arizona
More touring around... Just went to Colorado. Grim. Map at high altitude is fine, but in flight, its pixeled, not setup yet.
39t3059r.JPG

Country
us-arizona
4-0y-3etr.JPG
598t395r'.JPG
3095t90385rg.JPG
3598t93r8gh.JPG
Went to San Diego, couldnt believe it. Kinda felt like I was just there. All the famous spots are all there, lol. I guess this is what happens after dealing with FSX autogen scenery for years. Lost an hour flying from point to point. May Company shopping mall, Jack Murphy stadium (called something else now), our old house I grew up in, Montgomery field by our house, downtown city, Coronado Island, the bridge, going up the coast, the famous golf courses, Balboa park, the freeway through the canyon... Wild... Looks like all of California is here.

Dean, Arno, I'll bet they could use some help setting up airports with local scenery buildings.

Picture one shows Montgomery field and large anomaly ahead.
Picture two, bump mapping of wings; warping between wing rib cells. Brilliant model work.
Picture three, my old house
Picture four, more Montgomery.

Country
us-arizona
Its funny... This reminds me of FS2004, but how I thought it would evolve. FSX I thought was so totally 'non' like FS9. This reminds me of an ultimate, futuristic version of FS2004. Like, FS2016.

Country
us-arizona
I did a lot of looking around last night in AF2. Only California and Arizona are presently in the Beta package. 30 Gig download. High resolution scenery is only around the airports. As you go farther away from an airport, the resolution drops notches. I believe a total of 3 notches of resolution for farthest reaches, then a 4th rez that is totally blurry which means you are in a territory that does not presently come with the package. I also checked to see if Switzerland is in the package (like AF1) and it is not. I could find no other places active including the Eastern seaboard of the United States, Europe and England, etc. So, California and Arizona are presently all you have.

You can still fly some great flights from say Tucson to San Fran in the airliners. Airports go all the way up to the border of California and Oregon.

Country
unitedstates
Per user request, Aerofly will be releasing an update that fills all covered areas with the same resolution as found around the airports.

They are also looking into including Switzerland.

I think they should make some business relations with the VFR Poland guys and Megascenery.

Country
us-arizona
Per user request, Aerofly will be releasing an update that fills all covered areas with the same resolution as found around the airports.

They are also looking into including Switzerland.

Awesome.....! Thanks for the heads up, HF.

Ive been out exploring my own section of the world, Arizona. Sad that the only scenery presently is only 2 States in America, but on the bright side (for me), I live in one, lol...

305j0wr.JPG

Note the tarmac surface. The details on this sim are radically high.

583530ri5.JPG

This is out over the desert between Arizona and California. I was impressed with the way the sun shows up in the evenings with these ring effects.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
needles.jpg

http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php?/topic/754-have-you-got-a-light-boy/

This is by Mutley on the release of FSX SP2 with no altered effects. It can't be lens flare that is so exciting about a simulator that offers scenery coverage of two US states and does not appear to welcome 3rd party developers whatsoever, are you an investor?

So I did a little digging myself. There is 3rd party content and there is community created freeware, although I did not find any sign of 3rd party payware. I found a "free stuff" page and started checking links. The first was dead, not an encouraging sign, but the others clicked through. Most sites are in German and appear to be oriented around R/C flight. Most of the 3rd party models appear to be models of radio controlled airplanes and helicopters. I finally found a link with what appears to be tools for editing content.
Thinking back, I can remember a friend who knew of my simulator passion, that was into R/C modeled flight. He'd found some software that I believe was called Aerofly, that allowed him to simulate his R/C sessions, that he'd wanted to interest me in. He could even hook his controller into the computer. I remember thinking - well we probably shouldn't go there. It was hard for me to understand why you would want to simulate a glow plug Spitfire when you could simulate the Space Shuttle, but that was before Boeing bought Insitu and General Atomics made Predators.

I am going to observe and state that Aerofly started out as a way to specifically simulate R/C flight and has recently decided to focus on full scale flight simulation, not really revolutionizing the flight sim world as much as adding another choice.

Country
unitedstates
http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php?/topic/754-have-you-got-a-light-boy/

This is by Mutley on the release of FSX SP2 with no altered effects. It can't be lens flare that is so exciting about a simulator that offers scenery coverage of two US states and does not appear to welcome 3rd party developers whatsoever, are you an investor?

It seems that you're brand new to the Aerofly franchise, and I have some (hopefully) helpful additional information to add to your post. To start, Aerofly FS2 does in fact cover the entire world with photoscenery appropriate to planes flaying at typical altitudes, with higher resolution scenery reserved for specific coverage locations that includes 3 states: California, Nevada, and Arizona. The download tops out at approximately 30Gb, and for that reason high res coverage was limited to areas around airports to reduce the download size. At customers request (as was mentioned a few posts above) Ipacs will be releasing a service pack that extends high resolution to the entire California, Arizona, Nevada area. As also mentioned, they are contemplating including their previous Switzerland coverage.

An SDK is promised asap, and they are actively courting third party participation.

So I did a little digging myself. There is 3rd party content and there is community created freeware, although I did not find any sign of 3rd party payware. I found a "free stuff" page and started checking links. The first was dead, not an encouraging sign, but the others clicked through. Most sites are in German and appear to be oriented around R/C flight. Most of the 3rd party models appear to be models of radio controlled airplanes and helicopters. I finally found a link with what appears to be tools for editing content.

Thinking back, I can remember a friend who knew of my simulator passion, that was into R/C modeled flight. I am going to observe and state that Aerofly started out as a way to specifically simulate R/C flight and has recently decided to focus on full scale flight simulation, not really revolutionizing the flight sim world as much as adding another choice.

Aerofly did indeed begin with RC models, and you can find more information here: http://www.ipacs.de/about-us.html

Here is a freeware addon page. I am not certain if these will work with Aerofly FS2 but it should be interesting to try! http://www.aerofly-sim.de/download/download-aeroflyfs

Here is a list of payware addon aircraft for Aerofly FS1

Payware Add-On aircraft
  • Aermacchi MB-339
  • ASG 29 (glider with flaps)
  • Beechcraft Duchess
  • Piper Archer
  • Vought F4U Corsair (WWII)

Last edited:

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Awesome.....! Thanks for the heads up, HF.

Ive been out exploring my own section of the world, Arizona. Sad that the only scenery presently is only 2 States in America, but on the bright side (for me), I live in one, lol...

View attachment 28884

Note the tarmac surface. The details on this sim are radically high.

View attachment 28885

This is out over the desert between Arizona and California. I was impressed with the way the sun shows up in the evenings with these ring effects.
Thanks for the software review Bill, its been very interesting.
I don't understand the display of lens flare in any sim, that's not how we see the world. Can it be turned off?

Country
us-arizona

Do not forget that this was for App tablet based and has been updated for PC, that it is 'beta' and far from finished and its future has not been written in stone yet.

An SDK exists for AF1

Thinking back, I can remember a friend who knew of my simulator passion, that was into R/C modeled flight. He'd found some software that I believe was called Aerofly, that allowed him to simulate his R/C sessions, that he'd wanted to interest me in. He could even hook his controller into the computer. I remember thinking - well we probably shouldn't go there. It was hard for me to understand why you would want to simulate a glow plug Spitfire when you could simulate the Space Shuttle, but that was before Boeing bought Insitu and General Atomics made Predators.

I am going to observe and state that Aerofly started out as a way to specifically simulate R/C flight and has recently decided to focus on full scale flight simulation, not really revolutionizing the flight sim world as much as adding another choice.

They originally made software for RC pilots to help them learn to fly their planes before taking their hard work out to a field to fly them. The software is world reknown. It is for RC pilots, not sim pilots. You hook your radio up to the computer (adapter link) and you can use your actual radio handset to control the planes in the RC simulator. The RC simulator is quite popular and world reknown, the best you can get. RC people have no quams with dropping over $100.00 USD for it. If you have ever seen it, its photo real.

From there, they experimented with a full size 'flight simulator' which featured all of Switzerland.

They now are embarking on doing a 'world version'. This is in 'beta' form.

I hope that helps.

Country
us-illinois
If I'm not mistaken, Aerofly is a derivative of the "Fly!" franchise that got discontinued back in 2002. Looking back, that sim was ahead of its time (although there were some blatantly missing features.)