• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Imagetool mistery!!! (SOLVED)

Country
mexico
Hello lads

I am trying to understand how on hearth can you resize an image after being converted into the special 8 bit format with alpha that only Imagetool can handle (AFAIK)?

I was studying the FS2004 SDK along with c1xx_dg gauge (by Jim Robinson) and he managed to resize a former 8 bit with alpha with a native 2^2 power size image into a 260 x 260 pixels with loosing the format!!!

I am doing an educated guess here; I am assuming the former images perhaps were designed in a 252 x 252 pixel "enviroment" (I really can say where he made them: in paint, corel or photoshop).

I am getting good results without using the drawing order suggested in the SDK (see the code below; wich is not included in order to get this result):
HTML:
          <!-- ======================= Altimeter Shadow ============================= -->
            <Element>
                <Position X="0" Y="0"/>
                <Image Name="429_altimeter_shadow_alpha.bmp" Alpha="Yes"/>
            </Element>
          <!--======================= Altimeter Highlight ============================= -->
            <Element>
                <Position X="0" Y="0"/>
                <Image Name="429_altimeter_highlight_alpha.bmp" Alpha="Yes"/>
            </Element>

First, the original front card including all mambo yambo with highlights:
429_altimeter.jpg

As you can see, I am not using
429_altimeter_highlight_alpha.bmp or 429_altimeter_shadow_alpha.bmp images (not shown)

Now, the result in the simulator:
Immagetool_mistery_01.jpg

Finally, Jim's gauge within the sim (fact: all images -including the shadow and highlights- are 260 x 260 pixels; I'm not kidding): :confused: :confused: :confused:
Immagetool_mistery_02.jpg

Any clues on how to resize the images?

In advance, thank you.
Sergio

Luka

Resource contributor
Country
serbia
Convert to 32 bit (Imagetool), resize (Photoshop), and convert back to 8 bit (Imagetool).

Country
unitedstates
I was studying the FS2004 SDK along with c1xx_dg gauge (by Jim Robinson) and he managed to resize a former 8 bit with alpha with a native 2^2 power size image into a 260 x 260 pixels with loosing the format!!!

Those "powers of two" rules don't apply to gauge .bmps and I didn't resize someone else's gauge .bmps, I made them myself in Photoshop from the ground up. No particular reason for the 260 x 260 px size, that's just what I happened to start with for that gauge.

Country
mexico
Hello Jim

When I said "he managed to resize a former..."; I really was pointing that you did something I can't do my friend; nothing else. All I said was taking in mind your hard work and furthermore, admiring it; I love very much this particular gauge of yours. I was not meant to offend you, sorry if I did. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I am sure this is a misunderstanding: Peace, brother!

Now, retaking the main point: How on earth you did it? I want to work and add an alpha channel to an image which dimensions are 750 x 750 pixels.
Imagetool and DXTBmp can only work with native image sizes (as far as I know). For example, if I open the highlight (a pure black image with an 8 bit alpha) for the altimeter, both programs resize it to the nearest "standard" size; let's say 512 x 512. This ruins my attempt to use it in my gauge.

Convert to 32 bit (Imagetool), resize (Photoshop), and convert back to 8 bit (Imagetool).
Hi Luka, that's the point; my images are not in any power of 2. I did what you kindly suggested and photoshop is not able to convert an 8 bit image with an embedded alpha channel. If there's a photoshop script to do this; I simply don't know it.

In any event, thank you all for your help.
All the best,
Sergio.
:)

Luka

Resource contributor
Country
serbia
Hi Luka, that's the point; my images are not in any power of 2. I did what you kindly suggested and photoshop is not able to convert an 8 bit image with an embedded alpha channel. If there's a photoshop script to do this; I simply don't know it.
Use Imagetool for 8 to 32bit conversion before editing and back to 8bit after editing (Menu: Image->Format->*-bit). Photoshop is only for edit/resize 32-bit image.

And, as @JRobinson says, don't worry about the ^2 rule. Gauge image may have any dimensions (e.g. 157x223).

Country
mexico
Hi Luka

I think I nailed it. I was under a misconception; the highlight image was resised because I used DXTbmp to import the alpha channel. That's why I didn't realized that Imagetool doesn't care about image sizes like DXTbmp! :D

I am playing a little bit with Imagetool and right now I still can find how to import an alpha channel like DXTbmp does. Nevertheless I "found" a workaround; for sure, it's not the best way to achieve this but here we go:

1.- In Photoshop I create a 1024 x 1024 pixel document, large enough to house my 750 x 750 pixel image:
Altimeter_ALPHA_preparations_01.jpg

2.- Since I am interested in the alpha channel itself; I pasted the highlights above a white background within the same document. Then, I moved the
highlight layer and aligned it perfectly in the top left corner. The following 24 bit image will be my alpha channel:
Altimeter_ALPHA_preparations_02.jpg

3.- Now, the Image 429_altimeter_highlight_alpha.bmp will be a pure black (RGB 0,0,0) saved as a 24 bit bitmap.
4.- Using DXTbmp, I open 429_altimeter_highlight_alpha.bmp and import the highlights in the image above and save it again. Now the image
429_altimeter_highlight_alpha.bmp has an alpha channel.
5.- Next step, is to open with photoshop the "new" version of the 429_altimeter_highlight_alpha.bmp (now is a 32 bit image) and crop the image to get
the size I want: 750 x 750 pixels.
6.- Finally; using Imagetool, I convert the 32 bit image to the 8 bit with alpha format and save.
7.- Voila! Now 429_altimeter_highlight_alpha.bmp has the 8 bit with alpha channel format with all desired dimensions.

Of course, I will experiment with alpha channels and opacity to get the result I need.

Jim and Luka, thank you very much!
Cheers,
Sergio.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Depending on which version of PS you're using you should just be able to export a 32 bit .bmp from PS any size with the alpha embedded. Then just open that in Imagetool and do the 8-bit conversion. In PS 7 and later you can manipulate the alpha pretty much like a layer, pull up the channels palette (Windows > Channels) then click on the Alpha1 channel and go for it. If there isn't an Alpha1 there's a button on the bottom to make a new alpha channel, it'll be black so fill it with white or just paste whatever you need onto it after copying from the RGB. It's been forever since I did that but IIRC the highlight's alpha has to be an exact copy of the RGB but then you invert the alpha with Imagetool before you save it as 8-bit. I only pulled my hair out for about a week before I got it to work, lol. No offense taken BTW.

Jim

Country
mexico
Hello Jim

If there isn't an Alpha1 there's a button on the bottom to make a new alpha channel
LOL, as I always manipulate alphas within photoshop as a 24 bit before any conversion; I guess is the first time I manipulate it as it really is: a channel!

Well, this is what I have right now. It's not as crisp and incredibly reflective as yours; but not that bad, uhh? :D :D :D

Result_with_alpha_01.jpg

Thanks a million brother.
Take care.
Sergio.

Country
unitedstates
That highlight/reflection BTW was just a screenshot of some virtual cockpit taken looking backwards from the panel. I think I grayscaled it and then copied it to the alpha channel, inverted the alpha, etc. Yours looks great :)

Jim