• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Blender2FSX error messages

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi everybody,

This came into my mind this morning: I might set up a thread about the error messages I've got in B2X, and others have got. I hope this helps other people in troubleshooting.

Felix: I used your comments like you gave them before. I'll try to collect some more messages and you guys are free to do so either :D

Case I:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\A.H.T. Kaasjager\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.72\scripts\addons\io_scene_fsx\__init__.py", line 138, in execute
  Exporter = export_fsx.FSXExporter(self, context)
  File "C:\Users\A.H.T. Kaasjager\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.72\scripts\addons\io_scene_fsx\export_fsx.py", line 162, in __init__
  AnimationGenerators = self.__GatherAnimationGenerators()
  File "C:\Users\A.H.T. Kaasjager\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.72\scripts\addons\io_scene_fsx\export_fsx.py", line 715, in __GatherAnimationGenerators
  None, Object, self.modeldefTree))
  File "C:\Users\A.H.T. Kaasjager\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.72\scripts\addons\io_scene_fsx\export_fsx.py", line 1839, in __init__
  self._GenerateBoneKeys()
  File "C:\Users\A.H.T. Kaasjager\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.72\scripts\addons\io_scene_fsx\export_fsx.py", line 1862, in _GenerateBoneKeys
  framerange = int(animtag.attrib['length'])
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'attrib'

Solution/comment: The error is from line 1862 in export_fsx.py. Looking at the code in the vicinity of that line, you can tell that it comes from a bone with constraints and no animation tag applied. Bones with constraints move, so they need an animation tag.

Case II:

Code:
  File "C:\Users\A.H.T. Kaasjager\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.72\scripts\addons\io_scene_fsx\__init__.py", line 138, in execute
  File "C:\Users\A.H.T. Kaasjager\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.72\scripts\addons\io_scene_fsx\export_fsx.py", line 74, in __init__
    ob.Children.append(ExportMap[child])
KeyError: bpy.data.objects['Armature_TW']

Solution/comment: not yet resolved in version 8.1

Case III:

Code:
  File "C:\Users\A.H.T. Kaasjager\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.72\scripts\addons\io_scene_fsx\export_fsx.py", line 162, in __init__
    AnimationGenerators = self.__GatherAnimationGenerators()
  File "C:\Users\A.H.T. Kaasjager\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.72\scripts\addons\io_scene_fsx\export_fsx.py", line 718, in __GatherAnimationGenerators
    None, Object, self.modeldefTree))
  File "C:\Users\A.H.T. Kaasjager\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.72\scripts\addons\io_scene_fsx\export_fsx.py", line 1684, in __init__
    self._GenerateKeys()
  File "C:\Users\A.H.T. Kaasjager\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.72\scripts\addons\io_scene_fsx\export_fsx.py", line 1704, in _GenerateKeys
    FCurves = BlenderObject.animation_data.action.fcurves
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'fcurves'

Solution/comment: Some object has an animation tag, but is not animated. This is the case when you have an object with constraints. It isn't animated by itself, it follows a constraint which is not written into its animation_data.

Country
us-texas
I will bump this to ask a related question about error messages - where I can find them in blender? They appear on the screen very briefly and I would like more time to read the error message. They must be stored somewhere.

Country
ecuador
Hello everybody,

I never had any problems until a few weeks ago: under Windows 10 for months, everything was perfect ... And in recent weeks, I have a regular OSError at export! The solution is to reboot the PC ..., sometimes several times, before the export is done !! But this is not the solution! Have you experienced the same problem? How to solve the ...?

Hello.:wave:
I have a problem with the path to XtoMDL.
I just installed Windows 8.1 with all available patches and drivers,then FSX Acc,then the SDK,Blender 2.74 64 bit and Blender2FSX_0703.
Everything on the system partition "C" on the SSD drive.
When I try to export to MDL appears an error message:
error.PNG
When "Export MDL" is not selected-exports correctly to .x file.
Before I had Win 7 and the HDD drive,and everything worked well.
I ran Blender with administrator rights and administrator account, and did not help.
How can I fix this?

Hi,Chrismot.
I have bad news for you,Win 10 is still a work in progress,all the time there are new improvements to the system.:(
Probably our actions,Win 10 developers,had not yet discovered. According to me,the only option is to return to the previous system,or send messages to the Microsoft crew.
I had a similar incident when I first installed Win 8.0, I returned to win7 and waited for nuanced Win 8.1...and I still have unpleasant surprises :confused:

Last edited:
Hi.
Problem solved :
this error caused duplicated names of animation in the modeldef.xml.
Regards.
Rob.

Country
ecuador
... And in recent weeks, I have a regular OSError at export!

Hello Everybody,

The error cited is solved ...! Just increase the virtual memory used by Windows 10 :
PC > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Performance - Settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory > Change ...

Regards,

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
I am also getting this error (or it at least looks like I am). I am using Win7 with tons of memory.

Full disclosure:
I am very new at this. This is my first attempt to design a plane for FSX and I am still early on the Blender learning curve. My attempt to export was just to see how things looked in FSX. There are no animations, textures, or anything else other than the model itself. There is the empty root object and all the objects have been parented under it. The .x, .xanim, and .MDL files are created but the .MDL file is 0 bytes.

Your help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Blender2FSXError.jpg
    Blender2FSXError.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 618
Country
germany
I am also getting this error (or it at least looks like I am). I am using Win7 with tons of memory.

Full disclosure:
I am very new at this. This is my first attempt to design a plane for FSX and I am still early on the Blender learning curve. My attempt to export was just to see how things looked in FSX. There are no animations, textures, or anything else other than the model itself. There is the empty root object and all the objects have been parented under it. The .x, .xanim, and .MDL files are created but the .MDL file is 0 bytes.

I think this is a completely different error. Did you initialize the Toolset?

krispy1001

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates

Full disclosure:

Hi Chevelle!

You have to apply materials to your objects or they will not show up in fsx. Also you can use an object as an empty and then use that object as a pivot point for another object. But if you do not have a material on the object that is parented to that pivot point it will not show up. So you will have a 0byte size .xanim file.

So, just make a simple material, the material does not have to have a texture. And then apply the texture to your objects.

Thanks, Kris

Country
unitedstates
Still no joy but the model sure looks better. I've added materials. Kris, I created some materials that are used on more than one object. For example, I created an "AirFoil" material. That will be the fabric covering for all the airfoil surfaces. There is a "MetalBlack" material used for all the brackets and hardware. Is that OK?

Time to put this aside and work on the one downstairs.

Attachments

• Blender2FSXError2.jpg
    Blender2FSXError2.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 461
  • 2010-07-18_Hudson Flier RC 152a.JPG
    2010-07-18_Hudson Flier RC 152a.JPG
    345 KB · Views: 425

krispy1001

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Hi Chevelle!

Yes, there is no problem using multiple materials. If you are still getting .mdl, xanim files then you have a problem with your project. XToMDL file is finding an error in your project. Can you copy the error from the Blender console and post it?

Are you making sure to select all of the items that you want to export? If not you need to uncheck the "export selection" in the export window.

Thanks, Kris

Country
canada
What version of Blender2FSX are you using? I looked at the error message and it looks like you have blender 2.77 with a blender2FSX version that may not be compatible.

Look at the message about the file name.

Hudson_Flyer_FSK.blend.x.mdl. This seems to me as the issue with 2.65+ that broke the file naming.

Country
unitedstates
Blender is v0.8.4

I looked at the console. It says that the Vertex list has too many vertices (117295), max allowed 65535.

I saved a version that had all the complex objects deleted and the info at the top of Blender shows Verts: 30,520 Faces: 61,080 Tris: 61,080

(How do you save the console output?)

krispy1001

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Blender is v0.8.4

I looked at the console. It says that the Vertex list has too many vertices (117295), max allowed 65535.

I saved a version that had all the complex objects deleted and the info at the top of Blender shows Verts: 30,520 Faces: 61,080 Tris: 61,080

(How do you save the console output?)

Hi Chevelle!

The first thing that you need to do is download the most recent version of the Tool-set. The most recent version of Blender2FSX tool-set is v0.8.6 and you can download it from the below link.
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/blender2fsx-tool-set-after-blender-2-75a-crash.438017/

Next if you are getting an error that you have to many vertices. That error has to do with the max allowable vertices count for a material. To fix that problem, what you need to do is to create a duplicate material and to apply the new material to half of the original materials objects. So for example lets say the you have a material that is applied to 20 objects. Make a new material with the same settings but with a different name. Then apply the new material to 10 of the objects of the original material.

To copy the console click on the window tab then click on Toggle System Console. See image below!
upload_2016-9-21_0-54-2.png

Next right mouse click on the console and click on Select All. When all text is highlighted right click the console again and click Copy. Then past it into note pad.
upload_2016-9-21_0-56-57.png

Thanks, Kris

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Whoa. Now all sorts of different errors.

I updated to Blender2FSX 0.8.6. All listings in the add-ons show that rev so I think I'm good there. The tool initializes without errors.

I broke up the materials as recommended and used the simplified version of my model to keep the poly count low. (I did this by saving a copy of the complete model and then deleting stuff that I wanted to leave out. Is there a way to "turn off" objects so they are not compiled in the FSX model without having to delete them?)

Here is what the console shows. (I was right clicking to beat the band to get the edit menu but not in the window bar. ugh...)

Read new prefs: C:\Users\RJuncosa\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.77\config\userpref.blend
AL lib: (EE) UpdateDeviceParams: Failed to set 48000hz, got 44100hz instead found bundled python: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundatio\Blender 2.77\python fake_module: addon missing 'bl_info' gives bad performance!: 'C:\\Users\\RJuncosa\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\2.77\\scripts\\addons\\export_fsx.py'<!> event has invalid window
read blend: D:\My Documents\My Projects\RC\Hudson Flier\Husdon Flier - Full Scale\Hudson Flier-FDX\FSK Development\Hudson Flier FSK.blend
read blend: D:\My Documents\My Projects\RC\Hudson Flier\Husdon Flier - Full Scale\Hudson Flier-FDX\FSK Development\Hudson Flier FSK-simp.blend
Blender2FSX v.0.8.6 Copyright (C) 2014-16 Felix Owono-Ateba Updated by Ron Haertel for Prepar3D
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see source files for details.
Using modeldef from .... C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\bin\modeldef.xml
Gathering scene objects information...: [####################] 100% DONE
Write all children and parents...: [####################] 100% DONE
Writing RootExportList...: [####################] 100% DONE
Modeldef and XtoMDL root locations ..... C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\
XToMdl.exe (C) Microsoft
The following output is generated by the tool XToMdl.exe.
This tool is provided with your FSX SDK and is in no way related to Blender2FSX author(s), except by its use here.
OutputFile: D:\My Documents\My Projects\RC\Hudson Flier\Husdon Flier - Full Scale\Hudson Flier-FDX\FSK Development\MDL\Hudson Flier FSK-simp.MDL
Output file after modification: D:\My Documents\My Projects\RC\Hudson Flier\Husdon Flier - Full Scale\Hudson Flier-FDX\FSK Development\MDL\Hudson Flier FSK-simp.MDL
Creating output MDL file: D:\My Documents\My Projects\RC\Hudson Flier\Husdon Flier - Full Scale\Hudson Flier-FDX\FSK Development\MDL\Hudson Flier FSK-simp.MDL
CRASHTREE no granularity specified
(0): error : XToMdl.exe Unhandled Application Exception
(0): error : System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
(0): error : Parameter name: index
(0): error : at System.Collections.ArrayList.get_Item(Int32 index)
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.LODBuckets.GetHighestGranularityBucket()
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.ModelProcessingContext.BuildCrashTree()
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.ModelProcessingContext.Optimize()
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.XToXmlLib.<GetFileProcessor>d__0.MoveNext()
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.FileExporter.OutputModels(IEnumerable ProcessedModels)
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.XToXmlLib.OutputModels(IEnumerable`1 processedModels)
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.XToXmlLib.ProcessAllFiles()
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.XToXmlLib.Process(ModelFile[] InputFiles, Hashtable[] AnimationLinkage, String[] AnimationFileRef, XPartDict PartDictionary)
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.ProcessInputs()
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.RealMain(String[] args)
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.Main(String[] args)
(0): error :
(0): error : Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
(0): error : Parameter name: index
(0): error :
(0): error : Stack Trace:
(0): error : at System.Collections.ArrayList.get_Item(Int32 index)
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.LODBuckets.GetHighestGranularityBucket()
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.ModelProcessingContext.BuildCrashTree()
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.ModelProcessingContext.Optimize()
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.XToXmlLib.<GetFileProcessor>d__0.MoveNext()
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.FileExporter.OutputModels(IEnumerable ProcessedModels)
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.XToXmlLib.OutputModels(IEnumerable`1 processedModels)
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.XToXmlLib.ProcessAllFiles()
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.XToXmlLib.Process(ModelFile[] InputFiles, Hashtable[] AnimationLinkage, String[] AnimationFileRef, XPartDict PartDictionary)
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.ProcessInputs()
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.RealMain(String[] args)
(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.Main(String[] args)
File "C:\Users\RJuncosa\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.77\scripts\addons\io_scene_fsx\export_fsx.py", line 308, in Export
spawnv(P_WAIT, XToMdl, ['XToMdl.exe', '"%s"' % (Util.ReplaceFileNameExt(self.Config.filepath, '.x'))])
OSError: [Errno 0] Error

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "C:\Users\RJuncosa\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.77\scripts\addons\io_scene_fsx\__init__.py", line 257, in execute Exporter.Export()
File "C:\Users\RJuncosa\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.77\scripts\addons\io_scene_fsx\export_fsx.py", line 313, in Export
raise ExportError("Export to .MDL failed. XToMdl.exe returned an error.")io_scene_fsx.export_fsx.ExportError: Export to .MDL failed. XToMdl.exe returnedan error.

krispy1001

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Hi Chevelle!

The one error that I can see right off is that you have an issue with your LOD. Make sure that you name the LOD correctly: Example "friendly_name_LOD_400". For the other errors I can not make them out.

If you want send me your Blender file and I will look at it for you. If giving your project out to anyone is an issue, than just send me portion of your project. I will look at it and let you know what I find. I will then return your Blender file to you with corrections.

You can e-mail a zip file to me at krispy1001@kp-coolstuff.com

Thanks, Kris

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Well wadda ya know. Cleaning up to conform to the naming convention at least got the model to compile. I'll plug away from here.

Kris, I am perfectly OK sharing my files with you. If you feel it is best to help me along offline, I am OK with that.