• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v3 localizer alignment guidance

I think it would be useful to have ade display runway centerline extension on both sides (say when localizer is selected) to aid with correct placement of localizer when it is far off the runway end. At present it is done by hand drawing of guide lines which is not that accurate and frequently requires trial in the sim to perfect it.

A similar would be handy for custom runways (where many times afcad and photo runways don't perfectly coincide) if ade could extend aircraft indicator longitudinal line, then one can slew in the sim to align at centerline of the photo runway and place localizer in ade along the extended line at the required place.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
That would also help placement of markers, LOMs, and aligned VORs.

Country
unitedstates
At present it is done by hand drawing of guide lines which is not that accurate and frequently requires trial in the sim to perfect it.
Did you know that you can edit guidelines?

You can draw any random guideline, then highlight it and hit the Enter key.

This will open a dialog box where you can set the heading to exactly match the runway heading and the length to whatever length you need.

Then all you have to do is drag it where you want.

Until Jon automates this process it works pretty good for me and doesn't take all that long to do.

cheers,
Lane

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
While these methods are useful over short distances, I wonder about the effect of round-earth corrections over longer distances such as might be encountered with outer markers or aligned VORs/NDBs.

Don

Country
indonesia
The biggest problem with using guidelines to align localisers is the decimal limit on angle, i.e., n.n instead n.nnn

As #5 says the heading input isn't accurate enough for guidelines. A convenient feature would be for ade to have option similar to straightening of taxiway links, where ade could just snap (in lateral direction) a placed localizer to the extended centerline or the aircraft longitudinal line.

Not sure if this would be as useful for point navaids at large distances though as the entered real world coordinates should cause less to negligible misalignment when placed far away. I suppose they aren't meant for such precise navigation in the real world as well so I would prefer them to be at provided real world coordinates than tweaked to align with the runways etc.

Edit: It appears the guideline accepts heading to accuracy and align with the runway even though it shows only up to single decimal place. Entering the rwy coordinates it puts one end on the rwy center point though so need 180 added to heading when aligning localizer at other end. Still a localizer snap in function would save much time and work with this.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
In Raw Data View I see headings for guides out to 13 places to the right of the decimal, how accurate do they have to be?

Yes, the spinner is only showing tenths of a degree yet you can highlight that number and type in whatever you want and ADE seems to respect it.

Here are two 5900+ foot long guides with the exact same location (set manually) that are .001 degree different in heading...
Capture.JPG

I have done this several times to place Terminal Waypoints when adding new approaches and it has always worked.

At least the approaches are always very flyable.

I think people tend to lose sight of the fact that airport design, just like flying, is more of an art than it is a science and a TW that is a half mile off at six miles out is not anything to cause problems when flying in the sim.

Lord knows that there are many, many elements in FS that are in the wrong place and the sim is still very usable.

cheers,
Lane

Country
indonesia
Well, you learn something every day.
I'm now looking at years worth of airports and thinking, "Should I go through them all to tweak the localiser bearing?"