• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

I'm working on scenery... (2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
The idea of this thread is that you can use it to announce that you are working on a scenery. Just to let other developers know that an airport, city or region is in development. That way hopefully we won't work on the same addons without knowing it.

If you want to show the work in progress of your scenery, please create a separate thread in the showroom forum for it. Do not use this thread to post a lot of screenshots.

Please also consider to make a new hotspot for your scenery. That way it can be shown visually on the hotspots map which sceneries are being developed.

Country
france
Good Idea Arno :)
Beside the VTBS groundPoly and LFPO "exploration" (looking at which details, what's new, what's un under construction etc)

Im working on MSO (it was requested by someone on the AVsim forum where I first posted fot K57)

upload_2017-1-24_17-8-7.png

upload_2017-1-24_17-10-38.png

I know its very early and I do not expect the WIP thread before a long time :)

Country
us-california
I'm working on KPLK, a small GA airport near Branson Missouri in USA. This is my first detailed scenery so I wanted to work on a relatively simple airport and this one fits the bill. This will be a freeware for FSX. The work is around 50% complete and I hope to release it by March or April 2017. It's starting to look screenshot-worthy (as a work-in-progress) so I plan to start a thread soon.

By the way I don't live near Branson so I'm getting by with whatever photos I can find online plus YouTube screen grabs and Google Earth/Maps. If anyone is interested and can send photos of the airport, particularly showing details of buildings, signage, ground markings, fences, lighting etc it would be welcome and I'd try to incorporate the additional details.

Well, since the last three years I have been working on ESGG and it is still not finished. V3 will be coming in spring though and it is payware. It took so long because we (my Swedish partner and me and an eagle eyed beta tester) wanted it to work both in the P3D versions and in FSX. On top of that I was berieved of my development computer for the last 6 months and could only help out through Skype (thank you Skype for that).
And I have started on another freeware job (that is where my heart lies) on 9fl7 the Oasis Ranger Station in the Everglades that I thoought would be an easy job to do but found out that it would take a lot more than just putting in a photoreal, add some ADE made airport changes and ground poly's because the rest of the default landclass is what I would call unrealistic and does not reflect the real Everglades scenery. Hope my friend I send my unfinished scenery to, is working on it but have not heard of him (nor did I have time to get in touch with him.
And as a last remark, Arno, is this the thread from now on to tell people what you are working om or is this only some introductory one???

Cheers,

Roberto (for another 2 months)

PS: still figuring what the hotspots mean exactly. Put one in but will see where I can find it back as it shows my present location where I sent it from (?)

Update!!!
Thanks, Arno, found out you made a new caption called 'hotspots'. Found mine back plus a very unusual new airport in the middle of Leiden (NL) made or being made by you.
I did not know there was a new airport planned there or was it for drones only :D???
But your idea is a good one (I almost forgot to mention that).

Cheers,

Country
unitedkingdom
I'm beginning work on Gloucestershire (EGBJ), and Oxford (EGTK) - neither quite at screenshot level yet though, but Oxford isn't too far off!

Last edited:
Country
us-texas
We are doing the entire Northern Utah area (almost half the state) with an initially released 3 GA Airports included (just saw PacSim's SLC International, pretty good). Our aiports are Heber airport, Logan-Cache, and another TBA. Released hopefully no later than April of this year.

Luckily we were never working on KSLC (so no conflict with PacSim), just the GA's and the PhotoReal Tiles. This has been a VERY long side project for us, with lots of hard work, going just over 2-3 years now (depending on how you count "time"). After this, we are then moving to the NorthEast since the states are much smaller :)

If I had to do it over again, yes I would have taken on a smaller project. But it is what it is... We rendered many of the objects ourselves, and all the airport hangars, and we have some custom trees.

Do not ask how we color corrected such a large area, but the hint is that we had to write a lot of custom software to do it...

Here is a screen around HEBER CITY, UTAH
Repaint1.jpg

See showroom thread for more screenshots...

Attachments

• Utah3.jpg
    Utah3.jpg
    490.9 KB · Views: 482
  • Utah2.jpg
    Utah2.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 571
  • Heber1.jpg
    Heber1.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 534
Last edited:
Country
us-texas
This is a good idea, but I think it would be even better if there were some way people could add other peoples' airports to the list (I suppose we could, but it shows under our name). Hence, like if people could add upcoming Orbx and the big dev's, that way we'd have an overall map of what is actually being developed. I'm afraid most people aren't going to bother publishing the info themselves, but who knows...

Still, even the way it is, fairly handy.

Country
us-texas
Here is a list that's being updated all the time: http://www.airdailyx.net/adx-earth-airports/ It contains airport addons that are of a certain quality standard, freeware/payware. So not everything that is available on AVsim or Simmarket can be found here. But it's a good indication of which airports are missing.

Great, this gives us a good idea between the 2 lists. Now if we are to count FTX Global Freeware Airports, then there are a lot more done (several hundred), but then again those are semi-generic. Some are better than others.

Country
netherlands
I'm in charge of updating this list, but I got instructions by the D'Andre Newman (who runs AirDailyX) to only add airports that have payware quality, being it freeware or payware. I know this sounds a bit harsh to independent developers who don't have the funds, time or skills of the established companies. But otherwise it would be a complete mess. Besides, I can't add every small airport that can be found in the depths of the AVsim file library. I simply don't have the time to do that. I hope you guys understand :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Country
us-texas
I'm in charge of updating this list, but I got instructions by the D'Andre Newman (who runs AirDailyX) to only add airports that have payware quality, being it freeware or payware. I know this sounds a bit harsh to independent developers who don't have the funds, time or skills of the established companies. But otherwise it would be a complete mess. Besides, I can't add every small airport that can be found in the depths of the AVsim file library of course since I don't have the time to that. I hope you guys understand :rolleyes:

Yes, that is the best way to handle it. Our GA airports will be payware quality, but it will take a few revisions. I'll wait and submit them after everything is up-to-par. My focus is really at first more on the Photoreal...

We'll see what happens first, I release it or I lose my sanity :)

I think attempting half a state for the first payware release is insane, so I guess I was never very sane to begin with...

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Here is a screen around HEBER CITY, UTAH
Heber, eh? We used to go through there on trips out to visit family in SoCal. It's a convenient way of bypassing Salt Lake City... you end up in Provo, if memory serves.

On the subject of scenery and me, uh, I'm often half tempted to build a model of First Avenue, might that potentially count?

Actually, I've often also been half-tempted to learn this airport design madness/magic and build MSP - I'm still using Ron's and it's getting a bit old...

Last edited:
Country
us-texas
Somebody really good is doing MSP already so I would hold off on that, Erick.

But that doesn't mean you couldn't take something else that hasn't been done yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.