• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Weird Letters (FSX)

Country
singapore
Something has gone wrong with my copy of FSX. The words in FSX appears to be very faint as compared to before and looks very weird.

fsxgg6.jpg

Does anybody know the cause? Is it a problem with FSX or my computer? Only FSX behaves like this; none of my other programs have this.

Thanks

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Did you recently change anything on your system? For example update the driver of your graphics card. To me it sounds most like something related to your graphics card and its drivers.

Country
unitedstates
I,too, have seen this type of thing with new video drivers. It is one of the reasons I had to go back to older drivers. That being said, my system is due for a reformat.

Bob

Country
singapore
Now that you guys mentioned it I remember me updating the driver of my graphics card but that is all I did to my system.

What should I do? Should I go tweak the setting of the driver (which I do not know how to)? Why is this a FSX-only problem - none of my other programs have this?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Country
scotland
Hi Folks

Tan -
Whilst a driver update may have caused your problem,
blurring/dithered fonts is one of the first symptoms of an overstressed PC.

That's either thermal, or sliders set too high for available resources.
Your blurry terrain confirms.

Can be a number of additional contributary factors -
- slewing around.
- too many background processes.
- too many open applications.
- previously open programmes leaving memory fragmented.

Try running FreeRAM XP Pro before launching FSX.
Ensure you also "Execute Global Memory Compression".

HTH
ATB
Paul

Last edited:
Country
singapore
Thank you BASys for your detailed analysis.

I was in a hiatus last month before coming back to use FSX. However during that period I did update my graphics card driver.

So when I go back to FSX now, I see this. My setting has not change before and after my hiatus. Everything was running fine before. I tried deleting the config files and let FSX reload a new one but to no avail.

The blurry terrain may be the fact that I open up FSX and immediately slew up and move forward so that I can get the above picture without waiting for FSX to load the terrain properly because that night I could take this blurry words anymore.:)

Regarding the issue of too many open applications and processes, I do not think this might be the problem. Because the plane I was flying to take this picture was the Ultralight and my only open program apart from FSX was Firefox. Before this problem I would open programs like Media Player, Google Earth with no issue at all.

Anyway I am running on a Core 2 Duo E4400, 3GB DDR II RAM and an ATI X1550 graphics card. Will this be fine? I really feel like getting a NVIDIA card when I have the $ - which one will you recommend.

Oh and can I use FreeRAM XP Pro for Vista?

Once again thank you all for the help:)

Last edited:
Country
australia
Wonky Text.

Something has gone wrong with my copy of FSX. The words in FSX appears to be very faint as compared to before and looks very weird.

fsxgg6.jpg

Does anybody know the cause? Is it a problem with FSX or my computer? Only FSX behaves like this; none of my other programs have this.

Thanks

Gday
I had a similar thing Happen to me When a Memory chip Failed.
Regards Frank

Country
australia
Oh man, how do I check if my memory chip has failed? Is there any software that can do the job?

I only found it was a Chip by Trial and Error swapping chips around.
even though run a Memory Burning Tester That didn't show any probs.(Name escapes this old brain at the moment)

Country
unitedstates
One simple way would be to take sticks out one at a time, fire it up and see what happens. I believe you could also use a free program called Memtest.

Bob

Country
singapore
Ok I have test my memory chip and do not think there is any problem.

By the way if a memory chip has failed will it even show up in the computer that I have a total of 3GB of RAM?

If it is the problem with my graphics card and the driver do you think I should give ATI an email?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
If it is the problem with my graphics card and the driver do you think I should give ATI an email?

I would first try if an older driver works better. The latest drivers do not always give the best results, especially if your card is not brand new.