• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX GE View 2: HttpX 2.0 and EarthProxy 1.2 FSX thru P3D v3

Country
thailand
Google asserts that Earth v.9 retains KML support. For EarthProxy app, that should be all we need. Even though there is no v.9 js API, one of these days we (meaning Rob) might play around with v.9 to see if we can position and aim the camera, but it's not a priority.

Country
italy
Hi Fabrizio,

Don't uncheck "Flight Simulator Tracker". That's the KML file created by EarthProxy that Google Earth opens.

This is what I use, together with a Fly-To speed of 4 to 4.5:

View attachment 34793

If you have other questions, why don't you send me a p.m. in this forum so we can do further troubleshooting offline.

Hope it works,

Bob
Really sorry for reply so late, all is working, the missing setting was the speed in GE.
Great addition for VFR flying.

Country
ca-quebec
Sorry if this is 'way Off-Topic, but are you aware of this GE View work-alike?

FsGoogleEarthView v3.0 http://planeman-fs.blogspot.ca/2017/

fsgoogleearthview30.zip on AVSIM.

Some videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/planeman98

It's been created by Korean developer Dongjin Shin in Seoul. It supposedly works with FS9, Prepar3D and XPlane as well as with FSX.

I bought the first version back in 2013. It's now freeware, with donations accepted.

It has camera control keys rather than using the hat switch. You can select slow or fast GE update rates.

Mr. Shin has created several other FSX utilities.

I'd be interested to know your thoughts about FsGoogleEarthView.

Country
thailand
Thanks Jeff,

I believe several people/groups are working on Google Earth scenery apps for FlightSim. Mr. Shin's looks interesting - I'll try to take a look, but I'm sure he has a nice product. The first thing I want to know is what version of Google Earth he uses.

I really enjoy Google Earth View as an occasional diversion in Flight Sim, but my principal interest is with HttpX 2.0. I want to write a tablet-based javascript gps/nav/comm for use with FSX and HttpX 2 is the linchpin for that effort. HttpX is a different approach than WebSimConnect, but if you've visited Marcin's website, you can see why I'm interested in this. Web applications open another degree of freedom in FlightSim gauge development.

Bob

Country
spain
Hi Bob,

First of all, thank you for the hard work and awesome developed tool.

I have P3D V3.4 working with the GE View 1 and everything worked fine.

Now I'm trying to install the new GE View 2 version with the 360 pan views functionality.

I don't know what is happening but I cannot make it run. I tried first together with XMLTools plugin and it didn't work, the GE VIEW windows appears black and Google Earth didn't show my plane position, I have checked the spelling in the panel.cfg lines and everything seems to be alright.

Also, I have tried with GE View 2 alone, without XMLTools, so I only have the HttpX.dll (v2.0) in modules folder, and the addon in dll.xml file, but It doesn't work either. I go back to HttpX.dll (v1.0) and works fine.

Have you got any suggestions of what may be happening?

Is this version compatible with the V3.4 of P3D?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Edu.

Country
thailand
the GE VIEW windows appears black and Google Earth didn't show my plane position, I have checked the spelling in the panel.cfg lines and everything seems to be alright.
The black window suggests that the sim cannot find the Compound_Rotation.xml gauge. Usually, the reason is a spelling error in panel.cfg (extra "spaces" are often the culprit) or Compound_Rotation.xml is in the wrong folder.

Please see responses #10 through #14 in this thread for a similar issue.

I hope you get it working in P3D v.3.4. I don't have that version, so cannot test.

Bob

Last edited:
Country
spain
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I have read that responses and checked the Compound_Rotation.xml spelling, but it seems to be alright. I will check and try again.

In any case, I have tried only with GE View 2, without XMLTools, in order to avoid the Compound_Rotation.xml spelling problem. As you indicate in the first post:

If XMLTools is not installed, GE View will still operate, but without pan view capability - the view will always be forward.

Is that correct? May it run if I only have installed HttpX.dll (v2.0)?

Edu.

Country
thailand
If you see a black window rather than the blue GE VIEW window, that means that Compound_Rotation.xml did not load. If it doesn't load, then GE View will not work.

Can we take troubleshooting offline? I'll send you a pm. Thanks, Bob

[EDIT] - Edu.,

We confirm that you've now got HttpX 2.0 and EarthProxy 1.2 working in P3D v.3.4. Good news! Thanks!

Last edited:
Country
colombia
Hi, I had V1 working perfectly and one day the google earth windows started to point somewhere in the middle of the ocean not related to my position. I just replaced everything with V2 and while all seems to work fine, even the GE VIEW display works, google earth will still point to the wrong place.
Any hints?

Carlos

Country
thailand
Let me think about it... then let's take the troubleshooting off-line. I will send you a pm in this forum. Bob

[EDIT]: IF GOOGLE EARTH OPENS BUT FLIES TO MIDDLE OF ATLANTIC OCEAN

This is an indication that Google Earth reads Latitude=0.00000°, Longitude=0.00000°. The problem could be that Windows Region setting is not “English” format and that decimal and number grouping symbols are not compatible with EarthProxy.

To set number format:

Control Panel > Clock, Language, and Region > Formats > Advanced settings > Numbers

Set decimal symbol to “.” (period) and digit grouping symbol to “,” (comma).

From Carlos (many thanks to Carlos for solving this issue):

"Solved!

It has to do with regional settings in windows. By checking the update.kml file I noticed it uses comma as a separator which for us in Colombia is a decimal separator. So google earth must had understood the values very wrongly.

Reverted back to english in windows (as I had it when I started using GE, where period is the decimal separator) and now it works fine.

I'm very happy of having found the solution and I hope this can help somebody else."

Last edited:
Country
newzealand
Hi Bob
Quick question is there a trick to getting fsx sounds to play when GEVIEW is in full screen

Rhys

Simply awesome! THANKS A LOT!
I'm currently debugging my setup and was able to automatically start GE and position it the same place Prepar3D is.
Now, I'll move to setup an airplane panel.

I have a question about: does it works also for model which have VC only?

Country
thailand
I have a question about: does it works also for model which have VC only?
I've never tried a VC-only aircraft. Suggest you try the Minipanel configuration for Compound_Rotation.xml. Bob

Country
thailand
Hi Bob
Quick question is there a trick to getting fsx sounds to play when GEVIEW is in full screen
Assume you mean single monitor system with Google Earth window maximized ... I would try re-sizing the flight sim window to make it very small and drag it into the lower right corner, covering the words, "Google Earth"

I've never tried a VC-only aircraft. Suggest you try the Minipanel configuration for Compound_Rotation.xml. Bob
I was too fast in posting.
I rephrase it.
Is there any chance to view GE through the aircraft panel on the same simulator window?
That means having in foreground the aircraft panel and in background (where you should see the simulator world/scenery) GE on the same simulator window.
Thanks.

Country
thailand
That means having in foreground the aircraft panel and in background (where you should see the simulator world/scenery) GE on the same simulator window.
That would be great, but, I'm sorry, it cannot be done. I have seen a YouTube vid where someone set up 2 windows with a flight sim window on bottom showing a portion of the cockpit panel and the Google Earth window on top showing outside scenery. I'll let you decide if it looks ok or not. Gauges can be made to be displayed in Google Earth - that's what Earth's internal flight simulator does. But we don't know how to superimpose a flight sim panel on top of the Google Earth window.

Nevertheless, when looking at Google Earth whilst flying, I still need to know some important flight parameters like airspeed, vertical speed, altitude and radar alt... that's the reason the blue GE VIEW window is included.

Again, the motivation for the GE VIEW thing is the HttpX module which facilitates gauge development in a browser, which is where my interest lies. The Google Earth application is a fun by-product of that effort, but we aren't putting a lot more work into it at this point.

Bob

That would be great, but, I'm sorry, it cannot be done. I have seen a YouTube vid where someone set up 2 windows with a flight sim window on bottom showing a portion of the cockpit panel and the Google Earth window on top showing outside scenery. I'll let you decide if it looks ok or not. Gauges can be made to be displayed in Google Earth - that's what Earth's internal flight simulator does. But we don't know how to superimpose a flight sim panel on top of the Google Earth window.

Nevertheless, when looking at Google Earth whilst flying, I still need to know some important flight parameters like airspeed, vertical speed, altitude and radar alt... that's the reason the blue GE VIEW window is included.

Again, the motivation for the GE VIEW thing is the HttpX module which facilitates gauge development in a browser, which is where my interest lies. The Google Earth application is a fun by-product of that effort, but we aren't putting a lot more work into it at this point.

Bob
Hi Bob,
when you are in FSX or P3D and you select panel view only, you see the panel and black colored area where the scenario should be.
If it would be posssible to substitute the black with a transparency, GE could be viewed underneath.
I don't know if I was able to describe and I have no idea on how it could be done.

Country
ca-quebec
@rpmc : Bob, with the latest version of Google Earth Pro (7.3.0.3832), HttpX 2.0 and EarthProxy 1.2 no longer work.

The gauge still works, but when you press Start, Google Earth flies to the FSX position, but the camera stays pointing downward, and it jumps continually up and down.

For what it's worth, that Korean application FSGoogleEarthView 3 suffers exactly the same way.

I hope you can find the time to figure out how to get Earth Proxy working again with the new Google Earth Pro.

Country
thailand
@rpmc : Bob, with the latest version of Google Earth Pro (7.3.0.3832), HttpX 2.0 and EarthProxy 1.2 no longer work.

The gauge still works, but when you press Start, Google Earth flies to the FSX position, but the camera stays pointing downward, and it jumps continually up and down.

For what it's worth, that Korean application FSGoogleEarthView 3 suffers exactly the same way.

I hope you can find the time to figure out how to get Earth Proxy working again with the new Google Earth Pro.

Hi Jeff,

Everything works fine for me with Earth Pro 7.3.0.3832. What happens if you change aircraft?

Bob

Last edited: