• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

resample mesh errors

Country
germany
Hi, I have a GIS Source free of spikes. But when I use resample i receive a lot of spikes.
Attached you see my source. And my output.
I used two methods:
1. with fracton bits --> I receive spikes at the source borders
2. withot fractionbits --> I receive a areas of negative values

I think the problem might be the source. How can I add the missing ocean (value=0) around the islands? I use QGIS and/or Global Mapper.
Or is it possible to make settings in the resample inf?

Thank you!!

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 313

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Linkable web storage of files is cheap or even free. I don't think anyone could help you without including a link to a zipped sourcefile and inf file. Then we can reproduce the error, and try to solve it.

Country
australia
Yes, please spill the beans on how you fixed it as I have the same issue with a mesh I am creating.

cheers

Braedon

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

I agree that it would be a good idea for those who participate in these forums to be aware that we all have goals of learning not only how to troubleshoot anomalies that occur, but also how to avoid having them occur in the first place.

There have been a number of threads such as this, where a person opens a thread, 'fixes' the anomaly themselves, and does not followup with an explanation, either because they do not realize they could potentially benefit the knowledge base for the FS development community as a whole, or apparently in some cases, they are compelled to be "secretive" about their methods ...and/or the fact they were ever 'baffled' to begin with.

Others may be busy working on projects and never check on threads they opened after troubleshooting is 'completed'.

I suspect Dick and I both have seen these anomalies before in various terrain mesh and/or CVX vector projects with adjacent CVX vector objects (such as flattens or Hydro polygons that have an assigned elevation attribute different than the underlying terrain mesh).

In my own experience, they often involve gaps between adjacent sets of polygon vertices which result in anomalous spikes and/or pits in terrain mesh, where, AFAIK, the FS run time terrain rendering engine cannot form a proper continuous surface that is consistent with nearby elevation data points. :scratchch

IMHO, preventing anomalous scenarios such as this may be one of the reasons why Luis Sa' provided a feature in SBuilderX to copy vector polygon vertices in order to create a "Hole".

If all vertices in such adjacent edges are copied and pasted to form another vector object, they are kept in the same exact Geographic location.

However, IIUC, the "winding direction" (aka clockwise versus counter-clockwise) must be reversed between the 2 overlapping sets of vertices. :alert:

Thus, with copying, pasting and reversing the sequence of vertices placed with sufficient "Bitness" of decimal place precision, one will be less likely to have tiny gaps in the areas between adjacent polygon vertex data sets in which the terrain rendering sub-system can get 'confused' about what to do within the short time frame that it is allowed input to the rendering engine loop for creating a surface on which to drape textures.

Thus, IIUC, when one uses precisely aligned vector data points with adjacent CVX vector objects (such as flattens or Hydro polygons that have an assigned elevation attribute different than the underlying terrain mesh), one may be less likely to see such anomalies of spikes and/or pits. :idea:

I hope these observations correlate with the experiences and ideas others also have on this troubleshooting subject. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
If all vertices in such adjacent edges are copied and pasted to form another vector object, they are kept in the same exact Geographic location.

However, IIUC, the "winding direction" (aka clockwise versus counter-clockwise) must be reversed between the 2 overlapping sets of vertices. :alert:

Thus, with copying, pasting and reversing the sequence of vertices placed with sufficient "Bitness" of decimal place precision,
This opinion about Luis Sa and SBuilderX appears to be based on a mistaken assumption. Please detail exactly how to copy vector polygons in order to make a hole, that would be great. Please explain and reference the meaning of the terms "bitness" and "winding direction," thanks. In order to help us be on the same topic as to why someone might think that "holes" relate to terrain mesh, I'll refer to the 2007 document by Luis Sa titled "Terrain Design for Flight Simulator X." Hopefully we've learned something new in the 10 years since this well quoted document was published.
https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxsd&DLID=141643

What Luis has to say about holes:
The entire Flight Simulator world is made up of land. There is only water where a Hydro Polygon has been drawn. If you view any ocean or sea in TMFViewer, you will see that it is made of thousands (perhaps much more!) of Hydro Polygons covering the underlying land. A Hydro Polygon will always cover land, and will prevent it from displaying.

So, how to make an island in the midst of water? A Hydro Polygon can have one, or multiple, holes that let the underlying land show through. It is easy to make a hole - all you need to do is draw a polygon within the water and declare it as a hole;
Please bear in mind that Luis used the term "draw a polygon," the only time the term "copy" appears in the quoted document is as a part of the larger word "copyrighted." Therefore, if there is no "copy," there would be no possibility of "all vertices in such adjacent edges are copied and pasted to form another vector object, they are kept in the same exact Geographic location." If there were, it would be a fantastic feature. If you could go into detail about it, how to perform it, etc, that would be phenomenal, but also; wouldn't I want the vertices that I had copied from a good geographic location, to not be kept at that location, but instead be placed at a geographic location for which there was only bad data?

What Luis has to say about terrain:
Flattens

Problem: My new Airport Flatten creates a hole in the terrain.
Reason: Airport Flattens must have an altitude assigned to them, or SBuilderX will give them a default height of 0 meters.
Solution: Assign the correct height to the Flatten.

The term "hole" in the terrain represents a visual anomaly and should probably not be confused with the data "gaps" in terrain mesh, based on this information alone.
Thanks, I look forward to learning a new technique.:teacher:

Country
us-illinois
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/resample-mesh-errors.441123/#post-782240

I suspect Dick and I both have seen these anomalies before in various terrain mesh and/or CVX vector projects with adjacent CVX vector objects (such as flattens or Hydro polygons that have an assigned elevation attribute different than the underlying terrain mesh).

In my own experience, they often involve gaps between adjacent sets of polygon vertices which result in anomalous spikes and/or pits in terrain mesh, where, AFAIK, the FS run time terrain rendering engine cannot form a proper continuous surface that is consistent with nearby elevation data points. :scratchch

IMHO, preventing anomalous scenarios such as this may be one of the reasons why Luis Sa' provided a feature in SBuilderX to copy vector polygon vertices in order to create a "Hole".

Thus, with copying, pasting and reversing the sequence of vertices placed with sufficient "Bitness" of decimal place precision, one will be less likely to have tiny gaps in the areas between adjacent polygon vertex data sets in which the terrain rendering sub-system can get 'confused' about what to do within the short time frame that it is allowed input to the rendering engine loop for creating a surface on which to drape textures.

Thus, IIUC, when one uses precisely aligned vector data points with adjacent CVX vector objects (such as flattens or Hydro polygons that have an assigned elevation attribute different than the underlying terrain mesh), one may be less likely to see such anomalies of spikes and/or pits. :idea:

I hope these observations correlate with the experiences and ideas others also have on this troubleshooting subject. :)

GaryGB

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/resample-mesh-errors.441123/#post-782255

This opinion about Luis Sa and SBuilderX appears to be based on a mistaken assumption. Please detail exactly how to copy vector polygons in order to make a hole, that would be great.

As I have previously stated to others seeking a more comprehensive understanding of the complexities of the SDK, and how to work with the SDK via a GUI provided by a utility such as SBuilderX, I believe it would be best that you first personally put in the time to work with SBuilderX, and read all of the built-in Help documentation in order to gain your own insights. :coffee:

FYI: I have valid reasons for my recommendations, and I do not always have time to explain them.

The basis for my reasons are ultimately self-evident to anyone who does not "Keep It Simple", and who instead puts in the time over years of self-study, and who also exercises "due diligence" by doing what IMHO 'proper' FS Development inevitably requires:

* Read the SDK documentation

* 'RTFM' for any 3rd party utilities

* Read any and all available pertinent info from FS-related web sites and online tutorials

* Learn how to use ex: Google to more efficiently search for pertinent learning / troubleshooting info.

But, despite anyone's past and present working knowledge base for FS development, there will IMHO, always be more to learn, and everyone may find new insights over time that reveal where we may have been mistaken, or where we may have not been 'thinking outside the box' to allow for new applications of SDK methods to further innovate or troubleshoot.

It is important to remember that most of those here who have gained significant insights as a result of a long course of self-study are already rather busy; and while they may enjoy helping others with genuine troubleshooting issues, it is IMHO, not appropriate that they be called upon routinely as a means for others to avoid their fair share of required self study. :pushpin:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/resample-mesh-errors.441123/#post-782255

Please explain and reference the meaning of the terms "bitness" and "winding direction," thanks.

Please read my reply immediately above, and further on ...within this post.

In order to help us be on the same topic as to why someone might think that "holes" relate to terrain mesh, I'll refer to the 2007 document by Luis Sa titled "Terrain Design for Flight Simulator X." Hopefully we've learned something new in the 10 years since this well quoted document was published.
https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxsd&DLID=141643

IMHO, "This opinion about Luis Sa and SBuilderX appears to be based on a mistaken assumption", as I believe your post above illustrates the "holes" in your assertion that there is a "2007 document by Luis Sa titled "Terrain Design for Flight Simulator X" which, as the author states: "explains the basic concepts in Flight Simulator X terrain, and how to change them using SBuilder for FS X." :p

In fact, Luis Sa' actually refers readers to that- and other- tutorials by Luis Feliz-Tirado ...here:

http://www.ptsim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1056&p=7507&sid=c0b121558d0f0558993381185f445e4c

"
sendfile.php
File Description:
Terrain Design for Flight Simulator X

This simple illustrated document explains the basic concepts in Flight Simulator X terrain, and how to change them using SBuilder for FS X. Make new water bodies, roads, vehicle traffic, airport flattens, remove autogen, add more detail - anybody can do it easily and quickly.
My most sincere apologies - I am unable, for lack of free time, to offer support of any kind. For questions or problems, please post in the Avsim scenery design forum.

Filename: terrain_design_for_flight_simulator_x.zip
License: Freeware
Added: 14th December 2009, 13:29:15
Downloads: 16670
Author: Luis Feliz-Tirado
Size: 3991kb"

BTW: Those who read the complete tutorial cited above will also see this explanation by the author:

"VERY IMPORTANT: All Hydro Polygons (and Airport Flattens) must have an altitude value that defines their height. Generally, you can determine the height of terrain by slewing in FS X and using Dick Ludowise's TCalc X, or simply by loading the relevant altitude mesh in TMFViewer, pointing to the desired area, and reading the altitude value in the Status Bar. The default mesh file is in the same scenery folder as the default terrain scenery (the "cvx" file) and is called "demxxxx.bgl", with xxxx being the name of that folder, in this case, "dem0303.bgl".

Once you have determined the height of the location of the Hydro Polygon, right-click on the edge of the polygon and select "Set altitude...
":

...and:

In the "Constant altitude" section, indicate the height in meters of the Hydro Polygon, click "OK", then click "Close". For sea-level water, the SBuilderX default value of 0 meters will be correct."

What Luis has to say about holes:

"The entire Flight Simulator world is made up of land. There is only water where a Hydro Polygon has been drawn. If you view any ocean or sea in TMFViewer, you will see that it is made of thousands (perhaps much more!) of Hydro Polygons covering the underlying land. A Hydro Polygon will always cover land, and will prevent it from displaying.

So, how to make an island in the midst of water? A Hydro Polygon can have one, or multiple, holes that let the underlying land show through. It is easy to make a hole - all you need to do is draw a polygon within the water and declare it as a hole;
"

Please bear in mind that Luis used the term "draw a polygon," the only time the term "copy" appears in the quoted document is as a part of the larger word "copyrighted." Therefore, if there is no "copy," there would be no possibility of "all vertices in such adjacent edges are copied and pasted to form another vector object, they are kept in the same exact Geographic location." If there were, it would be a fantastic feature. If you could go into detail about it, how to perform it, etc, that would be phenomenal, but also; wouldn't I want the vertices that I had copied from a good geographic location, to not be kept at that location, but instead be placed at a geographic location for which there was only bad data?

What Luis has to say about terrain:

"Flattens

Problem: My new Airport Flatten creates a hole in the terrain.
Reason: Airport Flattens must have an altitude assigned to them, or SBuilderX will give them a default height of 0 meters.
Solution: Assign the correct height to the Flatten.
"

The term "hole" in the terrain represents a visual anomaly and should probably not be confused with the data "gaps" in terrain mesh, based on this information alone.

Thanks, I look forward to learning a new technique.:teacher:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/resample-mesh-errors.441123/#post-782240

Bearing in mind what I actually stated in my quoted text above, my comments here are pertinent to what happens when there are "gaps between adjacent sets of polygon vertices" which result in anomalous spikes and/or pits in terrain mesh, where, AFAIK, the FS run time terrain rendering engine cannot form a proper continuous surface that is consistent with "nearby elevation data points".

This should be construed as referring to the elevation required by the FS SDK to be assigned to vertices of any surrounding adjacent CVX vector Hydro polygons having an 'impact' (or a 'lack of impact')- on display of the local terrain surface (whether textured as "Land" or "Water").

This may otherwise result from failure to properly process elevation data points of the replacement island terrain mesh at the outer edges of the island area, because the gaps between such adjacent CVX vector Hydro polygons:

* are not able to "flatten" the terrain mesh via the assigned Hydro poly altitude of 0-Meters MSL

...and:

* are so large they exceed the FS run time terrain rendering "snap-to" distance between elevation data points, and thereby disrupt the ability to form a coherent terrain surface between the terrain elevation data points for the island mesh ...and the nearby "3D" CVX vector Hydro polygon vertex coordinate values.

AFAIK, the OP is attempting to create a replacement for an island which already exists in the default FS scenery.

In keeping with the methods described by both Luis Sa', Luis Feliz-Tirado, Dick, and numerous others in the FS development community, the OP 'should', IMHO, "exclude" the default CVX vector polygons for land and water in that local QMID-11 quad, then create a "hole" in the appropriate replacement CVX vector polygon(s) through which the replacement terrain mesh is allowed to be displayed for the island.

SBuilderX internally performs the steps pertinent to vertex coordinate positioning and 2D Geographic N-E-S-W or N-W-S-E sequencing (aka "winding order") as needed when holes are created provided the "Parent" and "Child" parameter values are correctly assigned via context menu option.

http://www.ptsim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7126

https://www.google.com/search?q=SBu...10k1j0i131k1j0i13k1j0i7i10i30k1.0.8cQV1P7u94Y

The vertices for the "hole" in the CVX vector polygon may be copied and pasted back into the work-space to use for a CVX vector Land Class polygon to define a "Land" attribute on top of any otherwise underlying Water Class attribute.

The vertices for the "hole" in the CVX vector polygon may also be copied and pasted back into the work-space to use for a CVX vector shoreline (with- or without- shoreline-associated "wave" effects).

The vertices for the replacement CVX vector Hydro polygons that define the edges of the hole and water areas surrounding the island must be assigned a "global" (aka "constant") elevation of 0 Meters MSL, and when that is done, the resulting water polygon will function as a "water flatten", provided the OP did not purposely use a "Legacy_LandWaterMask_Water_NoFlatten" attribute (...enabled via the "Modified Terrain.Cfg" file):

// Legacy_LandWaterMask_Water_NoFlatten
[Texture.381]
Name=Legacy_LandWaterMask_Water_NoFlatten
Color=FF638AC2
guid={5835459A-4B8B-41F2-ADC1-DEE721573B28}
Textures=OCEAN_SEA_LARGE_LAKE_0
FlattenMode=none
LandClassRemapType=none
ExcludeAutogen=Yes
RenderToTexture=Yes
RenderPriority=80000
Water=Yes

IIUC, this would eliminate the need to perform all the extra work in a GIS application which attempts to assign NO_DATA (aka "Missing_Data") attributes to certain points within the custom elevation source data intended for use with a properly configured INF submitted to SDK Resample ...to output a replacement terrain mesh BGL for that area.

[EDITED]

The GIS application work-flow to resolve such terrain mesh source anomalies has been alluded to by Holger Sandmann in this thread:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/fsx-mesh-help.3272/#post-20468

When instead working with CVX vector hydro polygons as a means for providing not only a Water Class texture color, but also to act as a "Water Flatten", AFAIK, other than instances where one is purposely using a "Legacy_LandWaterMask_Water_NoFlatten" attribute, the FS default CVX vector attribute for a Water Polygon (aka "Water Poly or "Hydro" Poly) requires an assigned altitude in Meters MSL.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707102.aspx#TheShp2VecTool

Thus, proper use of SBuilderX to create a "Hole" in replacement CVX vector polygon objects to allow the replacement terrain mesh to be displayed, would result in any terrain mesh elevation data points surrounding the island cited in the OP above, to be "flattened" by the "water flatten" attribute of "Hydro" polygons with vertices assigned global (aka "constant") elevations of 0-Meters MSL.

While it may require some searching to find more of the several other threads that I recall here at FSDeveloper.com which discuss these types of factors in the cause and prevention of such display anomalies, one of the most notable clarifications on this is the one that Dick (aka "rhumbaflappy" aka Richard Ludowise) has previously posted in a discussion thread ...here:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/terrain-mesh-problem.425302/page-2#post-635084

[END_EDIT]

However, we have not yet been provided with any additional information by the OP which might allow us to comment on the actual methods used, so my cited experience and observations should be regarded as what I originally intended it to be:

...well-intended information posted for Braedon (aka "Bungo") because he wanted to troubleshoot a scenario involving similar issues:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/resample-mesh-errors.441123/#post-782236

Yes, please spill the beans on how you fixed it as I have the same issue with a mesh I am creating.

cheers

Braedon

I believe Dick already understands all this better than most others in the FS Community, so at best, reading my comments here might be an un-necessary 'review', if not an expenditure of time he could have spent pursuing other interests for greater personal satisfaction. ;)

Perhaps the OP may also regard my cited experience and observations above as 'well-intended information' ...should he revisit this thread in the future ? :wave:

Again, I hope these observations correlate with the experiences and ideas others also have on this troubleshooting subject. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
germany
Ok, what I did:
The problem was that my source only offered data for the area of the island with it’s roughly coast. Resample was not able to handle that small rough area.
I merged my highres mesh with srtm data. Than I had a square area with data and resample was able to compile without spikes.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Ok, what I did:
The problem was that my source only offered data for the area of the island with it’s roughly coast. Resample was not able to handle that small rough area.
I merged my highres mesh with srtm data. Than I had a square area with data and resample was able to compile without spikes.
Great work. No doubt you performed the merge with Global Mapper. Can you say if you used the free version, or had to use the full version to accomplish this?

I believe it would be best that you first personally put in the time to work with SBuilderX, and read all of the built-in Help documentation in order to gain your own insights.
Thanks, but I didn't ask what you believe. This is a forum, you made a post, I commented on it. Please reply to the comment directly with out all the hubris.
FYI: I have valid reasons for my recommendations, and I do not always have time to explain them.
That is totally understandable, you are probably kind of like Einstein in that regard, he probably didn't have a lot of time to explain. This is a forum, it is where things are discussed and explained. The discussion and explanation are what substantiate a statement, to make it "real" or factual. If you just want to type things without explaining, substantiating or proving them, you should probably put that in your signature so that no one bothers to make sense of what you write, or just believes you unquestioningly like Ken - in my own opinion, of course.
The basis for my reasons are ultimately self-evident to anyone who does not "Keep It Simple", and who instead puts in the time over years of self-study, and who also exercises "due diligence" by doing what IMHO 'proper' FS Development inevitably requires:
I could not find any acronym that had the words "In My Hubritic Opinion," did I mis-transliterate?
But, despite anyone's past and present working knowledge base for FS development, there will IMHO,
There is is again. Very IMHOy, whatever it means.
It is important to remember that most of those here who have gained significant insights as a result of a long course of self-study are already rather busy; and while they may enjoy helping others with genuine troubleshooting issues, it is IMHO, not appropriate that they be called upon routinely as a means for others to avoid their fair share of required self study. :pushpin:
I thought the thumbtack was good contextually here, based on what I've already written about forums and discussions; more of the my hubritic opinion that you should not question what I write because you are not doing your fair share of self study:rotfl:

I hope you wrote this in the same light of humor it is being read, it is gold, sir. Kudo's to you.

Please explain and reference the meaning of the terms "bitness" and "winding direction," thanks.
Please read my reply immediately above, and further on ...within this post.
Please write a post that does not take an hour to decipher and is actually longer and more nuanced than the original work it has been quoted from.
BTW: Those who read the complete tutorial cited above will also see this explanation by the author:

"VERY IMPORTANT: All Hydro Polygons (and Airport Flattens) must have an altitude value that defines their height. Generally, you can determine the height of terrain by slewing in FS X and using Dick Ludowise's TCalc X, or simply by loading the relevant altitude mesh in TMFViewer, pointing to the desired area, and reading the altitude value in the Status Bar. The default mesh file is in the same scenery folder as the default terrain scenery (the "cvx" file) and is called "demxxxx.bgl", with xxxx being the name of that folder, in this case, "dem0303.bgl".

Once you have determined the height of the location of the Hydro Polygon, right-click on the edge of the polygon and select "Set altitude...
":

...and:

In the "Constant altitude" section, indicate the height in meters of the Hydro Polygon, click "OK", then click "Close". For sea-level water, the SBuilderX default value of 0 meters will be correct."
Finally we get to some meat! 10 paragraphs of opinion is really too much, Gary, this isn't an op ed, it's a forum where we discuss things. Ok, to what you wrote; superficially, it looks like you are comparing hydro polygons to scenery mesh. The sentence, "The default mesh file is in the same scenery folder as the default terrain scenery (the 'cvx' file) and is called 'demxxxx.bgl'" differentiates the two as distinct, demxxx.bgl and cvx.bgl.
Bearing in mind what I actually stated in my quoted text above, my comments here are pertinent to what happens when there are "gaps between adjacent sets of polygon vertices" which result in anomalous spikes and/or pits in terrain mesh, where, AFAIK, the FS run time terrain rendering engine cannot form a proper continuous surface that is consistent with "nearby elevation data points".
Ok, got it. You are declaring your comments to be pertinent to what happens when there are gaps between adjacent sets of polygon vertices, which would be for a cvx.bgl, a terrain or flatten polygon, but the OP's question clearly deals with mesh issues, which is a demxxx.bgl file.
Hi, I have a GIS Source free of spikes. But when I use resample i receive a lot of spikes.
Attached you see my source. And my output.
I used two methods:
1. with fracton bits --> I receive spikes at the source borders
2. withot fractionbits --> I receive a areas of negative values

I think the problem might be the source. How can I add the missing ocean (value=0) around the islands? I use QGIS and/or Global Mapper.
Or is it possible to make settings in the resample inf?
Thank you!!
It appears you are posting off topic. If the remainder of your post describes how to copy/paste polygon elements, that was not the question. The op was about mesh issues and if you have a valid technique to copy/paste mesh elements, I think it is important to share. It appears that there is confusion between ground polygons and terrain mesh;
my comments here are pertinent to what happens when there are "gaps between adjacent sets of polygon vertices" which result in anomalous spikes and/or pits in terrain mesh, where, AFAIK, the FS run time terrain rendering engine cannot form a proper continuous surface that is consistent with "nearby elevation data points".

This should be construed
There is no direct relationship between polygons and terrain mesh until they are rendered together, they are separate files, it is not possible for gaps in polygon vertices to create holes or spikes in terrain mesh. Also, you do not need to tell people what to construe, it means interpret. You are writing the post and you can do all the interpreting for them.
To be honest, I think you intended to write, "my comments here are pertinent to what happens when there are gaps between adjacent sets of polygon vertices which allow (or result in) anomalous spikes and/or pits in terrain mesh to show(ing) through. Now it suddenly makes sense, which adds credibility to the entire message and that misinterpretation is not on me. Finally we get to "winding direction" things start to fall into place, thanks for that link, btw. You are suggesting a polygon solution to scenery mesh problem, which is fine, but it wasn't the question and you did not word your post as an alternative. The question was specifically about mesh and how to correct it. Yes, reading back through your first post, I can (now) clearly see the divergence. I will tell you what; suspicions, opinions and ancillary data really confuse the issue. I have an opinion for you; eliminate those from your messages and you could literally "write the book" on definitive flightsim design.

However, we have not yet been provided with any additional information by the OP which might allow us to comment on the actual methods used, so my cited experience and observations should be regarded as what I originally intended it to be:

...well-intended information posted for Braedon (aka "Bungo") because he wanted to troubleshoot a scenario involving similar issues:
If the intention was to answer the OP's question instead of waiting for the OP to answer it, then it did indeed go well.
I believe Dick already understands all this better than most others in the FS Community, so at best, reading my comments here might be an un-necessary 'review', if not an expenditure of time he could have spent pursuing other interests for greater personal satisfaction.
I'm not so sure name dropping suits you well. The author of Instant Scenery 3 was very careful to NOT include his name in his personal information on the official support forum and you go blurting it around the internet, I don't know, maybe to imply you're best buds or something and we have yet to see how that plays out. Ultimately, if Dick reads things for personal satisfaction, I think this thread might provide some.;)

Country
australia
Great work. No doubt you performed the merge with Global Mapper. Can you say if you used the free version, or had to use the full version to accomplish this?

To export anything from Global Mapper you need the paid version. The free version has a limit on how many source files you can load as well (I think it's 4).

cheers

Braedon

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
If I remember, the software is very spendy. Glad you got it worked out, but if I am correct, it is still not a practical solution, unless you can capitalize on the investment.

Country
germany
Ok. I used the free version of Global Mapper. Yes there is a limit of layers you can load. If you request a 14day trial license you can work more. There is also a limit how often you can export.
But: Use different email adresses, a VPN, and a virtual machine to reset. You can request every 14 days a new trial license if you need much more to work. I only had this little project.
Because there was the request: attached my original INF files that gave me trouble.
After I edited my source I was able to use the version with fractonbits without problems.

Attached a screenshot of the source that produced problems by its contour, and the merged that was without errors because its a square data source.
I can not share the original source file for testing--> copyrights, sorry.

Attachments

• desertas2.inf.txt
    300 bytes · Views: 380
  • desertas.inf.txt
    323 bytes · Views: 299
  • result.jpg
    result.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I'm glad you got it sorted out.

I think the problem lies in resample when it encounters a null value. Sometimes that value is -9999 and I have seen -32768 as a null value. I think if your INF included the right null value definition, you might not have had the spikes (no guarantees until you try that).

Country
germany
I'm glad you got it sorted out.

I think the problem lies in resample when it encounters a null value. Sometimes that value is -9999 and I have seen -32768 as a null value. I think if your INF included the right null value definition, you might not have had the spikes (no guarantees until you try that).
Hi, tried it with nullvalue=0, still spikes.

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

The screenshot of TMFViewer status bar for the "Elevation_Data_Desertas.BGL" in the OP above, shows a value of -32767 for the "MISSING_DATA" (aka "NO_DATA") area of the terrain mesh elevation data values.

This is likely the "NO_DATA" value assigned within the elevation source data file output by Global Mapper, and can be confirmed by viewing the Metadata for the original DEM / DTM source data from within the Layer Control Center of the GlobalMapper work-space.

You may wish to try NullValue=-32767 in the INF with the GeoTIFF used for "Elevation_Data_Desertas.BGL" that was output by GlobalMapper from the original DEM / DTM elevation source data. :pushpin:

If you are successful, that is one way to reduce the resulting size of the BGL output by SDK Resample.

You may also wish to try MinValidValue=0 or MinValidValue=0.0001 in the INF with the GeoTIFF that was output by GlobalMapper from the original DEM / DTM elevation source data merged with the SRTM data to derive "0" Meter MSL data values surrounding the island elevation data that AFAIK, you had 'extracted' via generation of contours. ;)

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707102.aspx#SourceParameters

It is possible to derive from contour generation in GlobalMapper at ONLY 0 Meters MSL, the vector polygon to be exported and utilized in ex: SBuilderX to create a "hole" CVX vector polygon used for allowing display of terrain mesh through the overlying CVX vector hydro polygons in the area of the island.

One can then utilize the assigned elevation of "0" Meters MSL for the CVX vector hydro polygons to act as a "Water Flatten" over any elevation data in the terrain mesh surrounding the island elevation data.

However, that elevation data for the water areas will still be present within the terrain mesh BGL, and adds to its output size; so the above procedures using NullValue= -and- MinValidValue= *.INF parameter values to tell SDK Resample to "ignore" the un-wanted elevation data in the terrain mesh surrounding the island elevation data have the potential to reduce the size of the terrain mesh BGL ...which can be helpful when covering larger areas with detailed elevation data, thus reducing the download and on-disk scenery package size. :idea:

PS: I have edited my post above; you may be particularly interested in Holger's comments on use of source data containing "Void areas" (aka: "NO_DATA" or "MISSING_DATA" attributes) such as ex: -32767 with SDK Resample:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/resample-mesh-errors.441123/#post-782281

Thanks again for sharing this interesting worked example with us so we can expand the FS Developer knowledge base for working with GIS applications and SDK Resample to reduce terrain mesh output file size, without also incurring anomalies from data processing techniques. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Yes. The value I was thinking of was -32767. Good catch, Gary.