• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

BMP header is corrupt

Country
australia
Hes that was another thing I read only a day or so ago (NULLVALUE=,,,,0). I read a bit about it but wasn't quite sure and was busy trying to get my masks working.

Thanks again

I will also redo my water mask reducing the colors (from 256) to 2 in an attempt to reduce BGL file size.

I will also look up entering particular values for LOD rather than using auto. Do you know anything about that?

I AM interested in reducing the BGL filesize as the one for my 'west coast' which includes not only the shallow water but also the golf course and some housing areas which comes from an extremely large satellite image of the area is currently 844Mb. It contains a large area of the original satellite imagery which is 'masked out' by the blend mask.

Here is the view from GIMP -

sechelt west coast blend mask smaller.jpg

I have started to put together a readme with the intention of releasing my scenery as freeware and will set it up (documenting) so that the user has the opportunity in not installing the photo realistic scenery in case they don't like the large filesizes (the FSX scenery in my airport file will work without the photo realistic scenery).

Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

AFAIK, aerial imagery downloaded via the tile-server feature in SBuilderX is for personal use only, and may not be distributed publicly in a freeware or payware package. :alert:

If you utilize aerial imagery which is in the public domain, or for which you have a license, that can be distributed publicly in a freeware or payware package. :pushpin:

With regard to your own personal use of the existing source data set, you can output different maximum LODs for aerial imagery of an area via the INF LOD=min,max parameter values:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707102.aspx#DestinationParameters

FYI: FS development discussions concluded that there is rarely a need to include any LODs below 6 for custom photo-real aerial imagery BGLs, and that LOD-13 is the 'lowest LOD' that can be used towards the 'highest end' of the LOD range, because otherwise, default land class textures would be displayed ...instead of custom aerial imagery textures.

So an example LOD directive parameter value might be ex: LOD=6,13 for lowest resolution custom aerial imagery.

Since 18 is the highest typically seen ZOOM level available via tile-servers, an example LOD directive parameter value might be ex: LOD=6,18 for highest resolution custom aerial imagery.

Depending on the total extent of the coverage area, and the size of the source data to be submitted to SDK Resample, these targeted-LOD sets of aerial imagery can either be output to separate BGLs, or with special INF procedures, they can be included within (1) BGL. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
australia
Thanks for the heads up which I can fully understand.

I wonder then how come I see quite a few 'photo realistic' scenaries available for (freewater) download. I am not questioning what you state but just wondering about all those other ones which have been freely available for a long time, long enough for someone to have them removed.

Is it more to do with the method used ie. using SBX?

I wonder about scenery obtained by 'screenshot' from Google Earth? Yes I realise that one would need to zoom in and take many screenshots and then stitch them together.

Where is the public domain scenery located?

That makes me wonder about the fact that I have AI aircraft in my scenery which I created using the stock FSX DHC2 Beaver. Would that too be copyright?
Maybe then I should use freeware floatplanes and ask the author can I use them to create AI aircraft files.

Thanks too for the information on LOD.

Added later. A quick SEARCH for photo realistic scenery in the FlightSim.com library revealed many files for download many referring the Goggle and Yahoo satellite imagery and created using ADE and SBX.
Where can I find out if it is restricted to personal use?

Regards

Last edited:
Country
australia
Well adding NULLVALUE=,,,,0 to each [source ] section of the ING file made a HUGE difference (to my large photo realistic scenery BGL file) and I mean HUGE.

BGL was 844Mb now 356Mb. What a saving.

And another decreased in size from 93.4Mb to 24.4Mb. Makes me wonder why this information was not made available to me before OR is there a downside doing this?

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

AFAIK, all aerial imagery available from various online sources all has licensing terms for use, which may range from totally unrestricted, free to use but requesting written credit as to source, fee-based etc..

The ArcGISImagery (originally called ESRI World Imagery) aerial imagery available via their web map viewer portal, their proprietary licensed ArcGIS software communications protocols, and via the SBuilderX tile down-loader plugin may also be subject to licensing terms.

However, you may recall from our communications here at FSDeveloper by thread in the forums, and by private message on September 5, 2017, I had provided you with links to the GIS data made freely available for your area of interest by a local local government entity.

It is always prudent to read and understand all information applicable to a license for use of GIS data (if necessary, with the involvement of an appropriately licensed member of the legal profession).

However, you will find that if you follow the links in the private message I sent you on September 5, 2017, you should read that the aerial imagery for your project area has a Open Data License Agreement "based on Version 2 of the Open Government License - British Columbia", and which states:

"TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE
OPEN GOVERNMENT LICENSE
YOU ARE FREE TO:

Copy, modify, publish, translate, adapt, distribute or otherwise use the Information in any medium, mode or format for any lawful purpose."

The aerial imagery source data licensed by that local government entity and made freely available to the public via that web portal appears to be essentially identical to what you have already used for your project to date.

While I am doubtful anyone would object to your use of the *.PNG-format aerial imagery tiles downloaded by SBuilderX directly from the ArcGISImagery tile servers, versus having otherwise used the Mr.Sid (JPEG2000-format) aerial imagery tiles downloaded from the local government entity GIS web portal for your project area, you are at liberty to inquire further to be certain that ESRI would have no objections.

It is not impossible that ESRI regards the aerial image degradation associated with Mr.Sid (JPEG2000) format as a part of the terms under which they made the imagery available, as distribution of "reduced resolution" imagery is sometimes a basis for "reduced licensing fees".

However, the Metadata for the source data cited above shows nearly identical "resolution":

PIXEL WIDTH=0.15 meters
PIXEL HEIGHT=0.15 meters

...versus

PIXEL WIDTH=0.1493 meters
PIXEL HEIGHT=0.1493 meters

I'm not certain image "visual quality" versus "Resolution" was a basis for Licensing terms / fees here.

On a practical basis, the above cited Mr.Sid (JPEG2000-format) aerial imagery tiles downloaded from the local government entity GIS web portal for your project area is among the best I've seen in that JPEG2000 file format (compressed, but not visibly degraded !), and is essentially indistinguishable from the ArcGISImagery aerial imagery available via their web map viewer portal.

So, apparently there is nothing to lose by using this imagery instead of imagery download via SBuilderX. :p

Thus, alternatively, you can just download and substitute the Mr.Sid (JPEG2000-format) aerial imagery tiles downloaded from the local government entity GIS web portal for your project.

After conversion to properly re-projected GeoTIFF files, they may be easily loaded into SBuilderX via:

SBuilderX Menu > File > Add Map > From Disk

The perceived image quality for the two sources cited above may effectively be no different when viewed in FSX at run time, as resolution and image metadata is essentially identical.

I also suspect you would not need to create / use different versions of your Blend and Water Masks.

So, IMHO, no need to be concerned about the option to distribute your scenery package when it is finished. :)

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/bmp-header-is-corrupt.441662/page-3#post-787930

Well adding NULLVALUE=,,,,0 to each [source ] section of the INF file made a HUGE difference (to my large photo realistic scenery BGL file) and I mean HUGE.

BGL was 844Mb now 356Mb. What a saving.

And another decreased in size from 93.4Mb to 24.4Mb. Makes me wonder why this information was not made available to me before OR is there a downside doing this?

The SDK doc shows the NullValue=,,,,0 parameter value used with Blend (not Water) Mask sources.

That parameter value may- or may not- otherwise provide a net benefit when used with "Layer=Imagery" sources. ;)

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707118.aspx

; This treats all pixels with a zero (data value) in the blend mask as if it were missing. (aka "MissingData")

; This can result in better compression ratios (i.e. smaller .BGL files) if much of the image
; is fully transparent.
NullValue = ,,,,0

NullValue=,,,,0 removes all pure Black (RGB 0,0,0) areas from the compiled BGL.

So if you use that parameter with Water Mask sources, you may have no water attribute areas in FS at run time ...when the extents of your aerial imagery BGL is displayed. :alert:

And if you use that parameter with "Layer=Imagery" sources, you may have white (or Red ?) 'void' areas within otherwise 'visible' water texture areas of your aerial imagery BGL. :alert:

IIUC, if you pre-process your aerial imagery in a graphics application and 'substitute' another color (ex: RGB 1,1,1) for all pure Black (RGB 0,0,0) areas, your resulting compiled BGL 'may' still have the same size ...so no net benefit when that "NullValue=,,,,0" parameter value is used for "Layer=Imagery" sources in the INF. :(

BTW: SDK docs are included with the SDK, and should be the first thing anyone reads before starting any FS development.

So that info was "made available" to you- just as it was to everyone else- when FSX was released in October of 2006. :pushpin:

PS
: If you are adamant about reducing the compiled BGL size for your scenery package, you may wish to convert your source aerial imagery into GeoTIFFs with (non-lossy) LZW compression applied.

This will result in longer SDK Resample compile times, but should not cause a perceptible delay in loading for display in FS at run time when FSX.Cfg parameter values are set to allow the FS rendering engine caching, Windows pre-fetch / super-fetch, and terrain data loader sub-system ...to all work optimally. :idea:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
australia
Thanks again Gary

I got tired eyes (oh that ain't what they used to be) about half way through reading your reply.

Just a few things I noted

The SDK doc shows the NullValue=,,,,0 parameter value used with Blend (not Water) Mask sources.
I am sure you have referred to the SDK docs in the past. After searching EVERY folder and subfolder in SDK (installed from FSX installation disk" and can find NO documentatiom.
I know there is documentation at the Microsoft website (eg https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707102.aspx) but I could NOT find anywhere about NOT using it for the Water/Land mask.

I used NullValue=,,,,0 in both water and blend masks as I found at least one tutorial online which has it in. I have not experienced any problems with FSX water in my scenery.
I am starting to wonder then about the worth of all these tutorials especially as I also could not get masks containing transparent areas to work (and all the tutorials only ever mention such masks) or is it just me?

However, you may recall from our communications here at FSDeveloper by thread in the forums, and by private message on September 5, 2017, I had provided you with links to the GIS data made freely available for your area of interest by a local local government entity.

YES I do remember that and that is the (tile server) data I HAVE used to create my photo realistic scenery. Do you mean that there is no (copyright) problem using satellite scenery downloaded using their (ArcGISImagery tile server? I have found that it gives me a superior image.

So, IMHO, no need to be concerned about the option to distribute your scenery package when it is finished.
No sure exactly what you mean by that statement ie being concerned about distributing my scenery package.

I have a lot to do (complete documentation and create relevant folders so that the user can install as much or little as they want eg AI aircraft, moving boats, photo scenery) before I would consider 'releasing' it and what would the best method to use? Just upload it to an FSX download site eg Flightsim.com or Simviation.com?

I had not mentioned previously that my scenery also has AI floatplanes departing and arriving probably more often than in real life but makes it more interesting, Also sailboats, fishing boat and passenger ferry boat either circling the island or going from one of the docks to the other.
Please also advise if I can distribute AI aircraft I have created using the default FSX DHC2 Beaver (I had to modify the flight characteristics to enable them to fly correctly as an AI aircraft). Maybe just an acknowledgement in my documentation. I am starting to think don't bother including AI aircraft.

I have only found AI floatplanes in ONE package (FS2004/FSX/P3D Scenery--Victoria International Airport by Don Grovestine) but it looks as if it was an FS2004 aircraft and so isn't as nicely detailed as the default FSX (flyable) DHC2.

Once I have the package built I will take it to my faithful old PC and install it there to ensure I have everything in which needs to be included - nothing worse than downloading FSX 'stuff' and then finding that it doesn't work because something is missing.
I might also ask your good self to read the documentation and make comments to ensure it is as good as possible. Maybe via a 'private' message? That won't be for a while.

Regards

John

Country
us-illinois
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/bmp-header-is-corrupt.441662/page-3#post-788006

I am sure you have referred to the SDK docs in the past. After searching EVERY folder and subfolder in SDK (installed from FSX installation disk" and can find NO documentation.

I know there is documentation at the Microsoft website (eg https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707102.aspx) but I could NOT find anywhere about NOT using it for the Water/Land mask.

I used NullValue=,,,,0 in both water and blend masks as I found at least one tutorial online which has it in. I have not experienced any problems with FSX water in my scenery.

Hi John:

MS-FSX ('out-of-the-box') SDK Docs are at:

[Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK install path]\SDK\fsxsdk.chm

MS-FSX / ESP SDK 'online' Docs are at:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526948.aspx

LM-P3D version 1.4x SDK Docs are at:

[Lockheed Martin Prepar3D SDK 1.4.4747.0 install path]\doc\sdk overview.html

IIUC, the "comments" I quoted from the above "Sample: millenniumimage_water_blend.inf"

...seem to suggest that the BGL would not contain data for any Black (RGB 0,0,0) Water Mask pixels.

Thus, I'd expect a "Hydro" attribute would not be displayed in Black (RGB 0,0,0) Water Mask areas.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/bmp-header-is-corrupt.441662/page-3#post-787965

That parameter value may- or may not- otherwise provide a net benefit when used with "Layer=Imagery" sources. ;)

; This treats all pixels with a zero (data value) in the blend mask as if it were missing. (aka "MissingData")

; This can result in better compression ratios (i.e. smaller .BGL files) if much of the image
; is fully transparent.
NullValue = ,,,,0

NullValue=,,,,0 removes all pure Black (RGB 0,0,0) areas from the compiled BGL.

So if you use that parameter with Water Mask sources, you may have no water attribute areas in FS at run time ...when the extents of your aerial imagery BGL is displayed. :alert:

So if you use that parameter value in Water Mask sources, and you do have a "Hydro" attribute in the Black (RGB 0,0,0) Water Mask areas in FS at run time ...I would say I am pleasantly surprised ! o_O

< Please attach a screenie in a reply, with a water (aka "Hydro") attribute showing ! :p >

If indeed you do see a "Hydro" attribute in the Black (RGB 0,0,0) Water Mask areas in FS at run time, perhaps rhumbaflappy or Holger might enlighten us as to how "NullValue= ,,,,0" actually works ? :scratchch

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/bmp-header-is-corrupt.441662/page-3#post-788006

YES I do remember that and that is the (tile server) data I HAVE used to create my photo realistic scenery. Do you mean that there is no (copyright) problem using satellite scenery downloaded using their (ArcGISImagery tile server? I have found that it gives me a superior image.

No sure exactly what you mean by that statement i.e. being concerned about distributing my scenery package.

I am referring to the tiles downloaded via the local government web portal as ZIP files containing Mr.SID (JPEG2000-format) aerial imagery, as the one that would unquestionably be 'free to use' subject to their local and BC governmental license with ESRI.

NOTE: That data set must be re-projected and converted to GeoTIFF ...prior to any attempted use via:

SBuilderX Menu > Add Map > From disk

FYI: You would otherwise have to check with ESRI to verify any applicable licensing terms if you wanted to utilize the *.PNG aerial imagery tiles downloaded from their tileserver via SBuilderX (...even though they are essentially identical with the ones downloadable from the local government web portal cited above).

PS: I shall have to reply to your other multiple questions above, sometime later. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
australia
Thanks again,

MS-FSX ('out-of-the-box') SDK Docs are at:

[Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK install path]\SDK\fsxsdk.chm
How would one expect to find the docs there and actually they are in a 'compiled HTML file' and I have never seen them used except from selecting HELP within a program.
Not your problem but I was looking for a folder named DOCS or similar, that's where I usually find documentation.

I am referring to the tiles downloaded via the local government web portal as ZIP files containing Mr.SID (JPEG2000-format) aerial imagery
I wasn't aware that such files existed I simply added the relevant files to enable downloading of tiles.
I assume then that I don't have to "re-projected and converted to GeoTIFF"?

I checked their web site and found it difficult to understand the Terms Of Use which did not appear to include downloading via tiles but I suspect it did.
All I could determine that it was NOT for commercial use.
Also "Assume every image you see online is copyrighted". I don't see satellite imagery displayed online I have downloaded data via a tile server.
It's hard to determine but I guess to be safe DON'T distribute anything which contains anything from someone without their consent authority.

That together with my AI variation of the stock FSX DHC2 makes me think that I should not release my airport even as freeware.
That's not going to hurt me as I wasn't after any notoriety.

Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

Apparently there may be some misunderstanding of what I meant by downloading the Mr.Sid (JPEG2000-format) aerial imagery packaged inside *.ZIP files from the local government entity GIS web portal for your project area. :oops:

You now know where to download all the Mr.Sid (JPEG2000-format) aerial imagery packaged inside *.ZIP files from the local government entity GIS web portal for your project area; go get them ! :D

Click on the link in my PM to you dated September 5, 2017 ...named: 'download-tiles' ;)

Un-ZIP, and re-project / convert them to GeoTIFFs with a GIS utility such as "GeoViewer":

https://www.lizardtech.com/geoviewer/free-download-thanks

Then, process them in SBuilderX via:

Once they are loaded, you will be prompted to "Calibrate".

Those GeoTIFFs are already Geo-referenced, so you will merely click "Calibrate" to approve them.

They will then appear in the SBuilderX work-space as a 'Background Map" (...like 'downloaded' tiles do).

You will then 'select' the desired image area, and submit it to "BGL compile" (but do NOT click to compile).

You will then have a ' basic' INF with source data info to use in your 'complex" multi-source INF inside:

[SBuilderX install path]\Tools\Work sub-folder.

That source data info can be used in your 'complex" multi-source INF to work with either BMPs or TIFFs.

We can go into that when you are ready; first you need to download the above ZIP files you wish to use. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
australia
Not sure if it was more of "why do I need to do that" (download ZIP files etc) when I have created my satellite imagery (BMP) files via SBX and the tile server.

Or have I misunderstood that to be sure I don't infringe copyright I should use the 'zip files' instead of downloading from the tile server?

Country
us-illinois
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/bmp-header-is-corrupt.441662/page-3#post-788015

Not sure if it was more of "why do I need to do that" (download ZIP files etc) when I have created my satellite imagery (BMP) files via SBX and the tile server.

Or have I misunderstood that to be sure I don't infringe copyright I should use the 'zip files' instead of downloading from the tile server?

Hi John:

Indeed, you "misunderstood that to be sure I don't infringe copyright, I should use the 'zip files' instead of downloading from the tile server". :oops:

Please download the ZIP files I linked you to above (...or you will NOT be sure you didn't infringe copyright). ;)

GaryGB

Country
australia
Thanks. Got it and started 'work' with it.

I DO remember it and must have accidentally deleted the email message, sorry.

IO have downloaded some relevant ZIP files, unzipped and opened the first one with GeoTiff and exported as a GeoTiff.
Do I then have to create satellite imagery BGL files for each area? Or can they somehow be 'stitched' together?

And what again am I trying to achieve? Is it because this data -

YOU ARE FREE TO:

Copy, modify, publish, translate, adapt, distribute or otherwise use the Information in any medium, mode or format for any lawful purpose.

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/bmp-header-is-corrupt.441662/page-3#post-788021

Thanks. Got it and started 'work' with it.

I DO remember it and must have accidentally deleted the email message, sorry.

I have downloaded some relevant ZIP files, unzipped and opened the first one with GeoViewer and exported as a GeoTiff.

Do I then have to create satellite imagery BGL files for each area? Or can they somehow be 'stitched' together?

Yes, and Yes.

As discussed recently in the context of this thread:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/photoreal-seasons.441653/page-2#post-787617

Once you have properly projected imagery source files as GeoTiffs, you could use one of Arno's CMD mode "Batch" files to create INF files: :wizard:

https://www.scenerydesign.org/2013/06/nantucket-photo-scenery/

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...ample-tool-with-numbers-changing-only.105540/

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...many-inf-files-creating-automatically.105541/

FYI: Not only does SDK Resample accept less complex INF files for GeoTiffs, it can internally and automatically determine source file Geographic extents and generate various required parameter values, then delete over-lapping imagery coverage areas to yield performance-efficient output BGLs. ;)

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/bmp-header-is-corrupt.441662/page-3#post-788021

And what again am I trying to achieve?

Is it because (with) this data - (unlike the data downloaded via SBX)

YOU ARE FREE TO:

Copy, modify, publish, translate, adapt, distribute or otherwise use the Information in any medium, mode or format for any lawful purpose.

Yes.

GaryGB

Country
australia
Hi Gary,

Firstly why am I doing this (using ZIP files of satellite imagery)?
How could anyone know that my photo realistic scenery was created from 'tiles' downloaded via ArcGisImagary tile server?

Anyway lets continue.

I have a problem and looking back at your replies I cannot find a solution to the following -

Then, process them in SBuilderX via:

Once they are loaded, you will be prompted to "Calibrate".

Those GeoTIFFs are already Geo-referenced, so you will merely click "Calibrate" to approve them.

I loaded my projeect and then added the map (GeoTiff) from disk and clicked on RECALIBRATE as you mentioned.

The 'map overlay' is FAR too large when compared to my vector lines etc.

Look at this

sechelt sbx and geotiff.jpg

The 'map' should be much smaller and positioned near the top to the left of center.

It seems I can't get anything right even following instructions.

Last edited:
Country
australia
Thanks Gary,

I find such things hard to understand these days.
Although I did understand that you might need to 'sign up' with them (maybe for a fee - didn't get that far) and that you would then have a 'cap' on how much you are allowed (if a cap applies).

Sounds all too complicated and as such I won't bother releasing my scenery as freeware.

I would pursue the use of tile downloads from SCRD if I could work out or find a video or written tutorial on how to successfully import and recalibrate the files created using GEOVIEWER. It is the recalibrate that is a problem for me not only the geo coordinates but also the pixel size (I think) as my image when 'loaded' into SBX is far too large. I tried changing the pixel size but SBX won't allow me to, or so it seems.

Having said that though I would then have to recreate my water and blend masks and also 'touchup' the satellite imagery (map) files (as I did spending a lot of time) using PSP to remove the shadows of the tall trees which overhand parts of the coast by cloning nearby scenery not in the shadow of trees (I am a bit of a perfectionist).

BTW you should be in bed zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Added later
Well I found something but it didn't help.
Have a look at http://ptsim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1995 where Luis (SBX author) states "You do not have to calibrate the image if it is a GeoTIFF, so do not do it.

Also, the "GeoTIFF" button in the calibration window only serves to create a GeoTIFF file from a non-GeoTIFF Map, so there as well, do not press that button.

Simply add your GeoTIFF to the SBuilderX workspace and it will automatically be in the right place, just cancel out of the calibration window.

Well I tried that and it still doesn't work correctly. Could it be that when I export to GeoTIF in GeoViewer either I need to input something?

Aha I think I have it.
In GeoViewer when you 'Add local layer) (File drop down menu) and select the SIF file to open I need to select

Aha I have the reason (I think)
In GeoViewer when opening the relevant SID file (Add Local Layer from the File drop down menu) I need to select WGS84 as the 'Choose Map projection'. I had been using the default (Native (NAD83).
Can't remember reading that before.

Now if I get the 'impulse' to start over again creating masks and 'massaging' the original satellite imagery file (output GeoTIFF from GeoViewer) to remove large shadows, does that mean I will have not infringed any copyright and can release my scenery including satellite imagery?

Regards

John

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

You are on the right track with the learning process. :D

The Geo-rectification / Geo-referencing / Calibration of the image will determine its size, proportions, and orientation, so apparently there were configuration settings in the GeoViewer that needed to be reviewed and set prior to export.

FYI: The GeoViewer manual is here:

https://www.lizardtech.com/support/geoviewer-pro

Also, when the resulting GeoTIFF is imported to SBuilderX via:

...once they are loaded, you will be prompted to "Calibrate".

IIUC, depending on whether the 'new' project MAP calibration is submitted in that dialog as a 'remembered' value drawn from the SBuilder INI file, or if you are adding the GeoTIFFs to an existing project that already has "Map" Calibration values in place, the Calibration coordinate values submitted in the Calibrate dialog may- or may not- be those from the "world" file of the actual GeoTIFF being imported via Add Map > From Disk. :alert:

Theoretically, those imported GeoTIFFs are already Geo-referenced, so AFAIK, you should only need to click "Calibrate" to approve them for use based on the Geo-referencing data read by SBuilder from within the GeoTIFF 'world' file. :confused:

But your initial results above showed that the GeoTIFF was not Calibrated / "Projected" correctly, so let me know if you are unable to resolve this by further verifying the GeoViewer configuration settings prior to export of each GeoTIFF file. :scratchch

After import, a GeoTIFF should appear in the SBuilderX work-space as a 'Background Map" (...like 'downloaded' tiles do).

You will then 'select' the desired image area, and submit it to "BGL compile" (but do NOT click to compile).

You will then have a 1-piece BMP and 'basic' INF with source data info to use in your 'complex" multi-source INF inside:

[SBuilderX install path]\Tools\Work sub-folder.

That source data info can be used in your 'complex" multi-source INF to work with either BMPs or TIFFs.

NOTE: In SBuilderX, even if the "size" and Geographic extend of coverage of the GeoTIFF imported is different (ex: larger) than the original downloaded tiles used as source files in your project, you can 'select' only the desired portion of the GeoTIFF "Background Image" within the SBuilderX work-space, then use just that portion to compile a BGL.

You can also use certain Parameter values in the [Destination] section of your multi-source INF file to tell SDK Resample to only utilize the specific Geographic coordinates that you originally used for the project ...rather than creating a BGL from the 'entire' coverage extents of the imported GeoTIFFs (which may actually be larger than you had otherwise downloaded via the SBuilderX ArcGISImagery tile-server access feature).

The Geographic coordinates from your source file imagery used in your original INF is where we would get that info. ;)

Again, we can go into that when you are ready. :)

GaryGB

Last edited: