• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX What do I Need to Open .AGN Type Files

I'm not sure if I'm in the correct forum but does anyone know what software is used to open .AGN type files in FSX? They're sometimes found in the Texture folder along with the .DDS files.

Ken.

Agn files are autogen only, you can't open them directly, but you can edit them in Annotator. If it's a photo scenery autogen, then you can open the BGL file from the corresponding scenery folder, and it will display the autogen from the Texture folder. See the SDK for details of how to use Annotator.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
And for landclass textures you open the matching texture in Annotator and it will show you the autogen on it.

Country
denmark
I don't think the Annotator.exe from the SDK is for opening these type files. I've tried it and it will not open them. Are you sure that's the correct program? If so, why does it not open these files?

Ken.
Sorry if my explanation was a bit lackluster!

Thank you to Toprob and Arno for providing the details. :)

Thanks guys for explaining things.

I think I have some better understanding of them now. I was wondering if the .agn files were autogen files and now I know. These files were located in my Texture folder of the KDFW or the Dallas Fort Worth airport scenery by fsdreamteam. Let me explain what I'm trying to do here but I guess I should do this in another thread that would be more appropriate. The thread will be under the name "Editing Ground Textures for Updated Airport Scenery," or something like that.

Ken.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Ken:

The thread you cited above is here: ;)

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/editing-ground-textures-for-updated-airport-scenery.441812/

PS: If you plan to publicly distribute your scenery modifications for use by anyone else, you should NOT edit default FS files, but instead learn how to "Exclude and Replace" default scenery content with custom content, as this would require end users to use your edited *.AGN files. :alert:

This can be done using "Exclude" BGLs, and custom photo-real aerial imagery land class BGLs that incorporate Blend Masks when compiled. :idea:

These BGLs can be placed in a "active" Area layer above the default or 3rd party BGLs to be 'modified' by your custom BGLs that modify- / substitute for- display of the default scenery. :pushpin:

If you only want to edit the Autogen for a default scenery land class area, you can "Exclude" the default Autogen with custom "Exclude Rectangles" that specifically target Autogen objects.

These "Exclude Rectangle" BGLs can be created and output to a BGLComp XML-type BGL via AFX or ADE etc..

Alternatively, a custom photo-real aerial imagery land class BGL can be used that incorporates a Blend Mask when compiled.

The Blend Mask can control where you will see:

* default land class textures with their associated default Autogen annotations

...and where you will instead see:

* custom photo-real aerial imagery with any associated custom Autogen annotations

...within the Geographic extent of coverage for your project BGL. ;)

NOTE
: Custom Autogen annotations that "Replace" the default 'Excluded' Autogen annotations will be placed onto the 'new' custom photo-real aerial imagery land class texture (which can either have a visible aerial image ...or be a purely 'transparent' surface layer with NO visible aerial image if desired). :wizard:

GaryGB

Last edited: