• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

About a new Pc... (SOLVED)

Country
mexico
Hello lads

Recently, I had problems with my desktop PC and I want to buy a new one. However, this is annoying: I don't want to use windows 10! :mad: :mad: :mad:

All AMD Ryzen and Intel I7 families, are intentionally designed to force users to "amicably upgrade" to windows 10. Again: I hate the idea.

Main reason: All my software (some bucks spended in this "department") runs under windows 7. So... I am lost in this regard.

I need "something" that holds 16 Gb in Ram, a Radeon RX 480 (8GB) or Nvidia GTX 1060 (6GB). I am not familiar with motherboards either...

Just as a side note, this is what I have now... o_O o_O o_O
http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/6899256

Any help please?
All the best,
Sergio.

Last edited:

Ronald

Resource contributor
However, this is annoying: I don't want to use windows 10!... All AMD Ryzen and Intel I7 families, are intentionally designed to force users to "amicably upgrade" to windows 10.
1. Not the entire world runs on "Windows".... although Microsoft and her preferred business partners are very busy to brainwash everyone into thinking it does :p
Depending on the type of software you are using for purpose X,Y,Z one can always choose a well-supported version of Linux, MacOs, Unix, QubesOs.

TIP: Be sure to check your computers-components-list against the OS's hardware compatibility list , to be sure it is fully supported by it

Main reason: All my software (some bucks spended in this "department") runs under windows 7. So... I am lost in this regard.
2. Most Linux flavors can be equipped with a Window OS emulator called "WINE"
- www.winhq.org

3. Which of your software must have Windows to run?
4. Are their any open-sourced, multi-platform that can replace its functionality on a different operating system?

Country
mexico
Hi Ronald

Well, most likely my 3d design programs.Although I must admit, a lot of PC based games such as... my flight simulator and all its addons (just to name a few).
I've tried to reach the link you kindly provided to me, but it seems not to be working at this time. Finally, I don't know nothing about Linux or other OS. I guess MS is having a good time forcing hardware companies to fall into its grasp; perhaps even taking over them.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
As mentioned recently, all remaining Win7 support from MS will end in January 2020. Perhaps a Windows 8.1 based machine instead? Moving to a Linux system for FS development could be complicated if you know nothing about Linux to begin with; a bit like moving to China for work without understanding Chinese. Win8 support will last until 2023, although I suggest learning to work with Win10; it’s quite a decent OS from my experience.

Country
mexico
As mentioned recently, all remaining Win7 support from MS will end in January 2020.
I remember this bitter experience from the past -the ol' XP days...- It was painful and expensive as well. Systems should meet our needs, not the opposite...

I am a bit scared and nailed to the wall due my paradigms, nevertheless I think I won't escape from MS "best commercial practices" (aka, another doomsday for the poor and unfortunate).

Thanks, Tom.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Why are you afraid of windows 10? I've had no problems when I upgraded, all programs still run fine. I'm quite happy with it.

Country
mexico
Hi Arno

Well, I guess because I've read a lot of articles regarding issues with compatibility and user admin rights. Second point is the most concerning.
And as I said, I would love to know wich processor families are supported by Windows 7. All reviews I've read, points everywhere but not this detail... :duck:

Thank you.

Last edited:

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Sergio, a new operating system is bound to have features you'll have to learn, but some people don't want to learn new features: these are often the ones complaining loudly about compatibility/user admin rights. I've read articles and posts about incredibly convoluted problems too, but noticed in many cases users with downright weird setups which they expect MS to understand immediately, or upgrade paths akin to swapping from Apollo moon rocket to Space Shuttle mid-launch and expecting a smooth transition. Ain't gonna happen!

If XP was still viable, we would still be using it, or Windows 95, or MS-DOS 3.3; but they aren't, so we're not. Neither are the customers which keep many people here busy. I recommend you prepare for a move to Win10 and buy another HD for the new OS so you can move all your existing work to it in manageable stages.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
And a friend of mine still has MS-DOS 6.2, but would you use either in today's connected environment?

GHD

Country
england
Currently the XP machine is connected to a W7 machine.

Hopefully, it will be connected to W10 next week.

I use XP for development, some of my tools will not even work on W7.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
How much of the tools you use are absolutely definitely Windows 10 incompatible?

And don't even think about Linux for anything related to MSFS and development. FSX runs like week old crap on WINE.

Country
us-california
I had seen some of the recent conversations about folks upgrading to Windows 10 having issues too, but thought the issues were part of the upgrade. If you are buying a new computer with Windows 10, there is no upgrade, no possible loss of paths, etc. As Tom said, it will just be a matter of transferring files in a thoughtful manner. It may also be that you can connect your old (XP?) computer to the new one with a crossover cable or something.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I am going to have a new computer too. I need to set up the whole new world for scenery development for P3DV4.1.
I feel the same way as antaris. I have another computer with Win7 64 bit and Sbuilder do not run on that machine no mater I have tried. So I keep my old machine running on Windows XP. I just discovered that something new like SODE Jetway is not visible on WinXp and FSX:AC, only on Win7 and FSX:SE or P3D.
We need to change, face the problems and try to solve them. If we cannot, we can run some old programs on the old one. Don't throw it away until you solve all the problems.

Country
mexico
How much of the tools you use are absolutely definitely Windows 10 incompatible?

Nothing that I know for sure; just as you may don't like some software, I don't like Windows 10. It's a matter of principles as well, they are pushing people -on purpose- to operate something which many don't want to use. Also, I am sure you are aware that MS and its minions (aka: hardware companies) are doing the same... one more time. I am not againts technology, I am against this kind of corporate deception... :twocents:

- Edit:
Just for the record and to highlight the main issue within this thread, I've found that systems below 7th processor generation and all related hardware, shouldn't have any problems working with Windows 7.

Last edited:
Country
us-california
It has been stolen, remember? :ziplip:
Duh.. Yeah I remember. Lo siento!
I guess I was speaking hypothetically.

I admit that I would not have even attempted to upgrade my older XP Pro computer to Windows 10, but the win 10 computer my son gave me was updated from a factory Win 8 to Win 10 with no issues and my son installed FSX-SE on it without incident. Everything I have installed has worked better than ever.

I like Windows 10, and I am still just learning its features, but it is not that different from XP.
If you are downloading various utilities and whatnot, keep in mind to download the proper version based on your computer's configuration 32 bit / 64 bit, it can have an impact on how they run.

Good luck bro.
Gary