• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Blender2FSX/P3D (v0.9.5 onwards)

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
I'm having a heck of a time getting this add-on to work in a new installation of Blender 2.79 (64-bit). Every time I initialize either the FSX or P3D toolset, I get the following error:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\python\lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py", line 1478, in __init__
    from xml.parsers import expat
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\python\lib\xml\parsers\expat.py", line 4, in <module>
    from pyexpat import *
ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\python\lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py", line 1481, in __init__
    import pyexpat as expat
ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons\FSX_Toolset4FSX-P3D.py", line 215, in execute
    tree = etree.parse(bpy.context.scene.fsx_modeldefpath)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\python\lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py", line 1195, in parse
    tree.parse(source, parser)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\python\lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py", line 590, in parse
    parser = XMLParser()
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\python\lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py", line 1484, in __init__
    "No module named expat; use SimpleXMLTreeBuilder instead"
ImportError: No module named expat; use SimpleXMLTreeBuilder instead

The error seems to suggest that pyexpat on my machine isn't compatible with 64-bit Python. I've never had something like this happen before, and I'm not quite sure how to deal with it. Any Python heads have a suggestion? By the way, I'm running Blender on Windows 10 64-bit, updated to the most current patched version as of Feb 27, 2018.

EDIT: Never mind, I finally got it working. Had to uninstall Blender, manually wipe out all traces of it from my system, and reinstall. After that, all is good.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
I am using the latest Blender2FSXP3D(v0.9.4)-(ii).
I recently decided to upgrade a model that had been compiled into FSX with the old 0.8.8 toolset.
The upgrade and the compile, with the new tools into FSX went without a problem.
I am now in the process of doing the same thing with a model compiled into P3Dv4 with Ron Haertel’s “Blender2P3Dv4”
Using the new Blender2FSXP3D(v0.9.4)-(ii) all seemed to be going OK until I went to export into P3D and found that no animations are working.
Haven’t yet built a model from scratch with the new tools, maybe that’s what it takes to for things to work correctly, but I was hoping to get the job done without going back to the old set.
Any ideas?

RobR

Country
malaysia
I am using the latest Blender2FSXP3D(v0.9.4)-(ii).
I recently decided to upgrade a model that had been compiled into FSX with the old 0.8.8 toolset.
The upgrade and the compile, with the new tools into FSX went without a problem.
I am now in the process of doing the same thing with a model compiled into P3Dv4 with Ron Haertel’s “Blender2P3Dv4”
Using the new Blender2FSXP3D(v0.9.4)-(ii) all seemed to be going OK until I went to export into P3D and found that no animations are working.
Haven’t yet built a model from scratch with the new tools, maybe that’s what it takes to for things to work correctly, but I was hoping to get the job done without going back to the old set.
Any ideas?

RobR
Hi RobR,

I'm not really sure what are the differences in the codes between Ron's "Blender2P3Dv4-v0.8.8" and the latest toolset because I have never used that version before. I hope @ronh can sort out this. Lets see what he replies :)

Country
france
Hello, I receive this error message that I joined, when I want to export in mdl with blenderfsx 0.9.4 it's curious because the export in mdl passes very well with a cube but not with a cylinder or icosphere or other mesh

Attachments

• erreur.png
    erreur.png
    290.6 KB · Views: 665

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
@Raphael67600

According to the log,... within the picture,...there is something with the model or the filename (possibly, or the directory of) that XtoMdl doesn't like... its not the Blender2FSXP3D tool-set that is causing the problem, unless one of the values within the tool-set is passing wrong values (and I doubt that).

Country
malaysia
Hello, I receive this error message that I joined, when I want to export in mdl with blenderfsx 0.9.4 it's curious because the export in mdl passes very well with a cube but not with a cylinder or icosphere or other mesh
I have came across this before. Try to change the name of the file that to be saved. Do not use the similar file name when exporting different models. I hope @krispy1001 can explain what does this error exactly means?

krispy1001

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Hi Raphael67600!

When you get an error like that. That is basically telling you that you need to take a closer look at your Blender file. Because you have an error with your mesh that xToMDL.exe has found.

Here are some of the things to look for that might be wrong with your Blender file.

1. Mesh has animation tag but has no animation frames.
2. Mesh has a modifier applied but scale is not set to 1.1.1
3. Mesh does not have a material.
4. Check your friendly name
5. check your GUID.

Hope this helps, Kris

Thanks for this terrific tool Does this tool support exporting bone animations. I've been having some difficulty exporting animations that work in blender using armatures and haven't been able to find a procedural for exporting these type of animations It's not terribly clear if this needs to be a skinned mesh or not,

Hope you feel better Krispy. Enjoy your youtube videos.

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Dave,

Thanks for the clarification. Does Inverse kinematics work when exporting using the tool?

Inverse kinematics sadly don't work. You can create movements using it but you have to convert it into a keyframe animation using the "bake action" step

Ronald

Resource contributor
Hello Manochvarma, here's a little bit of feedback from me regarding your latest script
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Thank you very much for continuing to maintain the Blender2FSX script. As you can see, it works perfectly on my computer :)
(Window 7, 64-bits, Blender 2.79a, Microsoft FSX-"Gold", FSX ACC SDK)

Ronald

Resource contributor
After examining all newly implemented options of this Blender2FSX version:
4_new_settings.jpg
I wonder where can I learn more about:
- what these (new) features do to specific Blender aircrafts / scenery models?
- where can I apply what feature to which part of my Blender models?

So far I've read the FsDeveloper Blender2FSX toolset Wiki page:
- https://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Blender2FSX_Toolset_manual

I've watched Krispy1001 B2fsx videos tutorial series on Youtube:
- https://www.youtube.com/user/kpgamemods/videos?view=0&sort=da&flow=grid

Unfortunately the Blender Wiki has not been updated to this latest version and
Krispy's B2FSX videos where made with a previous version of Blender and the B2FSX scripts

So... I think there is some documentation missing on this new script.
- Am I correct about this?
- or have I overlooked something?

Hi .
I have a question for MANOCHVARMA RAMAN: Could you implement the option to create Empty Attach Point for Catapult/Arrestor Operations in Blender2FSX/P3D?
The points are:
attachpt_catapult_start_n,
attachpt_catapult_end_n,
attachpt_blast_shield_n,
attachpt_runway_start,
attachpt_runway_end,
attachpt_runway_edg,
attachpt_cable_n_1,
attachpt_cable_n_2.
I even created a separate topic "Catapult/Arrestor Operations", but the lack of response indicates that it is not possible in the current version of Blender2FSX/P3D.
Without these points, it is not possible to make a fully functioning aircraft carrier in Blender.
In the 3DS version it looks like this:
1528474991472-png.42449

Here is a description of the use of these points:
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Catapult/Arrestor_Operations_(FSXA)
Best regards.

Country
malaysia
After examining all newly implemented options of this Blender2FSX version:
View attachment 42186
I wonder where can I learn more about:
- what these (new) features do to specific Blender aircrafts / scenery models?
- where can I apply what feature to which part of my Blender models?

So far I've read the FsDeveloper Blender2FSX toolset Wiki page:
- https://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Blender2FSX_Toolset_manual

I've watched Krispy1001 B2fsx videos tutorial series on Youtube:
- https://www.youtube.com/user/kpgamemods/videos?view=0&sort=da&flow=grid
Hi Ronald,

Sorry for very late reply. I overlooked your message.

Can you please explain what does you mean the new features here?

Unfortunately the Blender Wiki has not been updated to this latest version and Krispy's B2FSX videos where made with a previous version of Blender and the B2FSX scripts.
I agree that the wiki is not updated. I just took over the work to update the toolset. I need more time apart from my personal life and work to learn python coding. Since the time I spend to learn is quite limited per day, it took very long for me to finish the learning process.

So... I think there is some documentation missing on this new script.
- Am I correct about this?
- or have I overlooked something?
The implementation of this toolset is basically from the SDK itself. Maybe the SDK is elaborated in a very long way but I'm very sure nothing can explain in detailed than the SDK. Maybe you can run through the SDK documentations when you have time and check all the parameters and function of each parameters stated in the toolset there. I understand that this will take a very long time rather than referring to something that is directly related to this toolset like the Wiki page. But once I understand the workflow of python and the toolset, I can update the wiki page. But I cant guarantee the time to make it work.

Country
malaysia
Hi .
I have a question for MANOCHVARMA RAMAN: Could you implement the option to create Empty Attach Point for Catapult/Arrestor Operations in Blender2FSX/P3D?
The points are:
attachpt_catapult_start_n,
attachpt_catapult_end_n,
attachpt_blast_shield_n,
attachpt_runway_start,
attachpt_runway_end,
attachpt_runway_edg,
attachpt_cable_n_1,
attachpt_cable_n_2.
I even created a separate topic "Catapult/Arrestor Operations", but the lack of response indicates that it is not possible in the current version of Blender2FSX/P3D.
Without these points, it is not possible to make a fully functioning aircraft carrier in Blender.
In the 3DS version it looks like this:
1528474991472-png.42449

Here is a description of the use of these points:
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Catapult/Arrestor_Operations_(FSXA)
Best regards.
Hi Kowal5376,

This can be implemented for sure. I will add this in my to do list.

I need more info about the attach points that was created using 3DS version into .x file so I can replicate that info. Hope you can share the .x file.

The current toolset is written in Python v2.x. I am currently planning to change all the coding to the latest version that is v3.x. Once it has been done, I will look into your suggestion. Thank you for the references linked attached.

Country
france
Hello MANOCHVARMA,

I have a small suggestion, it would be really nice if we could
save settings that are applied to the materials.

Copying and pasting a material setting is not the solution for
FSX / P3D settings in Blender.

For example in MCX, we create a template or we
save a setting:

ScreenShot006.jpg

Then just apply a saved setting:

ScreenShot007.jpg

I hope that it will be possible
Thank you very much for taking in hand this magic tool :)

Good luck,

Hi MANOCHVARMA RAMAN.
I have not used 3DS for a very long time.The picture that I put in the previous post comes from the SDK.I have .x, .mdl and .xanim files from the ModelConverterX program.
I hope that you will find them useful.
I am sending three sets of files - .x, .mdl and .xanim in mcx.zip :
-attachpoints only- contains only attachpoints and nothing more (no objects,materials or other).
-no attachpoints- is an example of an aircraft carrier model with no attachpoints.
-with attachpoints - this is an example of an aircraft carrier with attachpoints. I tested it in P3D v4 and everything works as it should.
And testcarrier.zip- directory with a set of files to be tested in P3D or FSX.
The aircraft carrier I send is a very simple model made by me in thirty minutes, so please do not laugh ... ;)

Best regards.

Attachments

• mcx.zip
    40.5 KB · Views: 384
  • testcarrier.zip
    7.9 KB · Views: 416