• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Bell 407 V2.0

Country
mexico
Hello guys!

Still working on the 3D parts logic... a hiccup for me. This will have me pulling my hair for a while longer; but I think that all the time spent in this regard, it will be worth it. Meanwhile, another screenshot; this time with the Garmin GPS/Radio combo and the whiskey compass fully operational:
407_whiskey_working_01.jpg

I hope you like it.
Sergio.
;)

Country
us-california
Since I still don't have FS9, it is hard to get too excited about this update to the Kelly/Devins Bell 407, but she could not have had a more loving step-father than you Sergio. :)

She looks better than ever for sure buddy!
Sigh :confused:.... someday she will make it to FSX. :rotfl::duck::wave:

Country
mexico
She looks better than ever for sure buddy!
Sigh :confused:.... someday she will make it to FSX. :rotfl::duck::wave:
Hi Gary!

It's been a while, crocodile!
Guess who is gonna do the FSX versions :stirthepo:stirthepo:stirthepo:stirthepo

Hint:
He like Eagles... ;)

Also, we have a Phantom in the house already tweaking in the flight model... :mischievo:mischievo:mischievo:mischievo

As always, many of the finest people came to help!!!
A loud Hurraaaaaaaaaaaaaaay for all of them!

Cheers mate,
Sergio.
:wave:

Last edited:
Country
mexico
Someday, Sergio, I hope to see you doing work in FSX/P3D. :) I can help with what humble knowledge I have.

For some reason I am spellbound by FS9! I cannot get rid of it; none of any FSX versions has been so generous with me. Many talented designers have a gigantic legacy which is not easily forgotten... Although I am not a "flight simmer" per se anymore; I still enjoy flying from time to time my favorite aircraft (which not necessarily are the ones I worked on o_O). Call me a "romantic" if you will; but I think I will stay here a little bit longer...

Bill, thank you very much! You're too kind. As soon as I jump into those platforms; I'm sure I will ask a lot of questions. ;)

All the best,
Sergio.
:)

Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
Roger that. No problem.

I do not like FSX. Runs horrible. So buggy. I mean, if only they could finish it, it has so much potential. But when I flew in P3D V1, I was mesmerized. I couldnt believe it.. It ran great! Smooth. It had great ideas in it. I fell in love. I finally found a reason to let go of FS2004 and got into FSX developer technologies. It was sad to let it go, but with V1, it was so so far more better. FSX Steam Edition is nice also as they have updated it quite a bit so that new graphics cards and I think a newer version of DirectX also can run better now. So thats really nice. I am really enjoying V4. 64bit, finally... :) (D:Happy,bool) 100 *

Enjoy FS9. I know how you feel. I remember it well. It was so easy to make things for.

Country
mexico
Dear Bill

Through -literally years of trial an error- I think I nailed how to use the ULE system without any issues at all; now I am able to design FS9 choppers "on steroids" ;)

Thanks to the great team who developed the ULE System, to you (for teaching me how to use it the first time), Nater, and Mario Noriega!

Couldn't do it without all of you.
Sergio.
:cool:

Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
Manfred and Tom took the baton and went farther then I could have. I simply got help from Luka who was the first to figure out how to do it. He is the inventor of ULE. :) Amazing hack. Man, that brings back memories. I had totally forgotten. It was (my version) unstable. Sometimes it was fine, then suddenly it would stop. Never figured out why. I prayed and prayed for a way to do unlimited exports, and the Lord blessed 'us' with it. Thank You Jesus for helping us all to get the right pieces together and getting it working.

Country
mexico
Manfred and Tom took the baton and went farther then I could have. I simply got help from Luka who was the first to figure out how to do it. He is the inventor of ULE. :) Amazing hack. Man, that brings back memories. I had totally forgotten. It was (my version) unstable. Sometimes it was fine, then suddenly it would stop. Never figured out why. I prayed and prayed for a way to do unlimited exports, and the Lord blessed 'us' with it. Thank You Jesus for helping us all to get the right pieces together and getting it working.

Bill, I still don't fully understand it. However, what I've learned, roughly and without any proof, is this :

1.- To have LODs for the tail and main rotor (still, slow and blurred) in the first place, then the fuselage, the VC, central console and finally, all crew members.
2.- One scene in Gmax for every single LOD.
3.- As you can figure out by now, LODs may share the same material! So, all materials within different levels of detail must be perfect clones in each separate scene!.
4.- No repeated names! All parts must have different names in each LOD and therefore in every scene.

So far, those are my findings. At least, last basic steps have been entirely consistent with helicopters. I know you are now working with P3D, but if you (or someone else) is interested; please let me know. Of course, this is thanks to all knowledge left by the pioneers who successfully created and use it in the past.

I guess I was lucky to find out how to decipher the "recipe" and use it as well. TONS of help in the process! What about 3D parts and gauge coding? That's another lovely story!!!

Too many kind people has jumped in for me all the time!
All credits will be published here in the near future

Sergio
:coffee:

Country
us-arizona
Sadly, I hardly remember 'any' of the ULE system. :( Reading your post brought back bits of memory of that. I forgot about the LOD's. I think an LOD was a parts cluster up to 64K polygons or triangles. Cant remember. Then you start a new LOD, etc. Basically you make as many LOD's as you need according to your amount of parts, and then you have a outside and inside set as well. But again, I just really do not remember anything to be of any help. :(

Country
us-arizona
Sergio,

With all this brilliant model work, you should make bazels for your gauges to give them a very nice 3d effect. Put in some nice knobs and things for detail.

Country
mexico
Bill

You're right; that's another thing to consider while we actually make it fly more realistically. We still haven't crunched the right numbers :banghead:
Since I am not a pilot, I can barely read and sometimes for me 1 + 1 = 3, it's a little bit harder for me decipher what I am actually doing :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

For example, last issue solved was to print in a tooltip the symbol %. It only took me 3 days to do it (EduHir, Fr. Leaming, Tom Gibson and Bjoern... came to rescue me once more in this regard). So; the pace is in this project is far away to be good. Each and every fail in my end, involves at least ten minutes to test
the possible solution (this includes only the time needed to recompile the model with ULE). o_O

Good news, are that I am very stubborn and maniacally persistent. :laughing:

Last edited:
Country
mexico
Hello lads!

Please don't think this work has been stalled! This modeling work was made between XML coding sessions... Better this than get burned! ;)

To keep you interested, I will post some improvements to the sunlight:
Sunlight_new_gimbal_01.jpg

Sunlight_new_gimbal_02.jpg

Sunlight_new_gimbal_03.jpg

Oh no!!! I've spoted another issue... take a loot to one blade in the rotor head... I will need to redesign the alpha channel and fix its position :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
407_police1_01.jpg

This kind of things can only be seen in pictures like this... otherwise I'd never be aware of this little inconvenient. :confused:

Enjoy!
Sergio.

Last edited:

Cédrice

Resource contributor
Country
france
The details are impressive to believe that you have a Bell 407 at home :)
There is no specular map for Fs9?

Country
mexico
Hello Cédrice

Yes, with some slight differences as you know it in FSX and P3D. In a matter of fact, I am going to perform some tests in this regard. I never could simulate a good "chrome" material which entirely depends on the specular map. Although I managed to follow a nice tutorial by Fr. Leaming on how to have night textures, anything else about materials is unknown to me; I never dedicated enough time to test some values and register the results.

I think the time has come to learn more in this regard. This will be new in my learning curve. I guess I didn't tried before, because I had some models where the alpha channel was controlling specularity and transparency at the same time and I didn't like the results. Instead of having control on how the material was reflecting light, it actually was affecting the entire fuselage making it transparent. Sadly, it was a payware model... :ziplip:

I guess the team who developed the aircraft was in the same boat as I am... The big difference is that I will test everything before releasing the project.

Let's see what happens next.
Kindest regards,
Sergio.

Last edited: