• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 PBR headache

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi,
I succed in the first step (3 ouput maps) in order to create an export preset for SP 2017 but I block on "For this to export correctly you also need to add Ambient Occlusion, Opacity and Glossiness (due to P3d using a Specular gloss instead of a Metallic roughness) to your texture set. ".
Do I have to add 3 different $mesh_$texture ... each with the appropriate information ?

Here my trial ...
View attachment 46952
A very good idea will be to export this preset and share this export preset, if some one has so time to spend ? or if you can give more informations about adding AO, Opacity and Glossiness in the export preset.

Thanks !
PS : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/spdoc/creating-export-presets-98959398.html

Hi

You only need 3 output maps Albedo, Metallic, Normal.

The texture set is in the main program where you bake your maps
texture_set_settings.png

Under channels press the + and add Ambient Occlusion, Opacity and Glossiness, you will get errors on export if these aren't in your texture set.

Stevo ;)

Last edited:

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
Thanks for your answer, I will try this as soon as possible ;)

EDIT:
Ok, if you open a new project and select Template => PBR - Metallic Toghtness (Allegorithmic) with Normal map format => DirectX ...
you obtain immediatly in the tab Texture Settings the result of your screenshot.

This step is for configure the program when you begin a new project. My "approach" was rather to configure after this first step a preset in order to obtain all texture files with the right naming pattern when you click on "File - Export textures".
The two steps are inseparable because it's impossible to save something which have not be well configured initially, of course :cool:

Well, I have to put this in application on my cockpit and see the result :rolleyes:
Thanks !

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks for your answer, I will try this as soon as possible ;)

EDIT:
Ok, if you open a new project and select Template => PBR - Metallic Toghtness (Allegorithmic) with Normal map format => DirectX ...
you obtain immediatly in the tab Texture Settings the result of your screenshot.

This step is for configure the program when you begin a new project. My "approach" was rather to configure after this first step a preset in order to obtain all texture files with the right naming pattern when you click on "File - Export textures".
The two steps are inseparable because it's impossible to save something which have not be well configured initially, of course :cool:

Well, I have to put this in application on my cockpit and see the result :rolleyes:
Thanks !

Hi,

That was not my screenshot it was a random picture from the internet to show you where the texture set needed to be added.

To export the textures from Substance painter and for them to be in the correct Prepar3d format (as in my instructions above, please know I'm no expert in this!), you MUST add Ambient Occlusion, Opacity and Glossiness to your Texture set list, and the same for each object in your texture set list. You don't have to use them (at least I don't think you do) but they must be present so when you do export, Substance Painter knows which texture sets you want and what to convert them to. If you don't have them Substance wont know what files you need, that is my assumption.

If I try to export without Opacity being in the texture set for example, Substance Painter automatically tells me it is missing from the texture set list.
Untitled-3.jpg

I can post my export settings here, but you would still need to add the three extra texture sets manually for it to work correctly.

Texture set settings for my object RollerShutter. (you can add and remove these 'channels' whenever you like and re bake)
Untitled-1.jpg

My export settings
Untitled-2.jpg

Like I say this is simply based on the Unity exporter so I don't know if its correct or incorrect but it seems to be working.

In the images below, the doors, down spouts and yellow bollards are PBR, the brick is not.

A.jpg
B.jpg

Regards

Stevo ;)

Last edited:
Country
france
Hey @stevo
just a quick question
so the process of making a PBR model is :
1 ) Model it in 3DsMax
2 ) make UVW coordinates
3 ) Texture it with substance
4 ) configurate a preset ( i'll use yours )
5 ) Back to P3D and load the 3 maps
6 ) export to P3D

question 1 was that correct ?
question 2 is substance painter hard to learn ? ( i'm already learning 3Ds )

Country
unitedkingdom
Hey @stevo
just a quick question
so the process of making a PBR model is :
1 ) Model it in 3DsMax
2 ) make UVW coordinates
3 ) Texture it with substance
4 ) configurate a preset ( i'll use yours )
5 ) Back to P3D and load the 3 maps
6 ) export to P3D

question 1 was that correct ?
question 2 is substance painter hard to learn ? ( i'm already learning 3Ds )

Hi,

Model and UV your object, Export
Import into Substance, bake your maps, and texture
Export from Substance with a preset that will give you the 3 required P3d textures
Convert the textures to DDS
Back in your 3d modelling program, Apply a Prepar3d PBD material to your model and apply the 3 DDS textures
Export your model
convert your export to P3d format and place the model and textures into the relevant P3d folders

Is Substance hard to learn? I don't know? I think that question is subjective to the person learning it? There is a learning curve with anything. When you learn it you will then be able to answer your own question.....;):)

Stevo ;)

Country
us-georgia
This is gonna sound like a stupid question so don't judge me too harshly. after substance painter, the materials that we export are not the UV maps, how are those implemented into P3Dv4?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

The UV's are preferably what you are importing into Substance... They are implemented by P3D since the model was UV mapped when creating it.

Country
us-georgia
I do import the uv's into substance, but I was wondering what happened to them after that because we only export the textures. thanks for the quick response.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Unfortunately.. I, personally, do not use Substance Painter. I'm going by what Stevo has said. Though, I know some of the quirks it has. Stevo's Hard drive decided to flake out. He should be back up, I would think in about 48 hours to 72 hours.

I can say this though... when creating the normal/bump maps, Substance Painter will place a transparent alpha channel prior to placing the Red Channel there. Also, the albedo map should be a DXT1 or DXT5 depending on the texture.

Edit: I haven't looked at Albedo maps with the Smoothness yet, but I would think it would be DXT5.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
If you have uv'd your model in modelling software, then export a version of that model for use in substance painter, that model then becomes a donor to create textures for. That model doesn't need to be used again. The textures exported from substance (once in the correct format) can be applied to the model in the modelling software.

Country
unitedkingdom
quick question, wich workflow do you use in substance painter for the best results in P3D?

In the tests I've done so far I've had to make some changes to a default metallic workflow, (look back through this thread) I don't know if it's the best way however....

Going to look into it again once I get my pc up and running....

Country
france
hi @all
can someone plz post ( and mention me plz so i can recive a notification ) a chart that explains the P3D PBR maps formats
i mean all the chanels to edit in substance
and all the DXT DDS format to convert and use in 3Ds
thnx in advance :)

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
@RED COOL

You can change how you are notified in a number of ways within: Preference under your name icon at the top... without someone having to "tag" you. But then again maybe you prefer to be tagged :):oops:...

Country
france
@RED COOL

You can change how you are notified in a number of ways within: Preference under your name icon at the top... without someone having to "tag" you. But then again maybe you prefer to be tagged :):oops:...
it has been a year i didn't visit fs developer settings XD

Country
france
hey
is it normal that i got some red and yellow maps as metalic maps after substance export ?
EDIT : i think yes cus i tested in 3Ds ( not yet in P3D ) but what DDS format should i use
i'm about to export but i still have DDS format problem

Attachments

• MeetMat_2_Cameras_01_Head_MetalicSmoothness.png
    MeetMat_2_Cameras_01_Head_MetalicSmoothness.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 270
  • MeetMat_2_Cameras_02_Body_MetalicSmoothness.png
    MeetMat_2_Cameras_02_Body_MetalicSmoothness.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 276
  • MeetMat_2_Cameras_03_Base_MetalicSmoothness.png
    MeetMat_2_Cameras_03_Base_MetalicSmoothness.png
    728.3 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Country
france
Hello
i read in a post that Albedo map must me a DXT1 and the metalic/normal must be DXT5
i did that but i got a diffrent result ( first picture i used the maps exported by substance without convert just png maps )
sec pic i converted using DXTBMP ? Any help PLZ !

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
hey
is it normal that i got some red and yellow maps as metalic maps after substance export ?
EDIT : i think yes cus i tested in 3Ds ( not yet in P3D ) but what DDS format should i use
i'm about to export but i still have DDS format problem

The Albedo Map (which can contain 1 or 2 textures - Base Color (RGB Channels) and/ or Smoothness (Alpha Channel)(Glossiness in Substance Painter) - Can be DXT1 - 1-bit Alpha (should be used for 'Masked' Render Mode - only Black and White alpha colors - no grayscale) or DXT5 (ARGB 8, 8, 8, 8 -- if 'Smoothness' or Glossiness is used within the 'Albedo' Map, also for 'Translucent' Render Mode used) - Both DXT1 or DXT5.
* Make sure if you add the Smoothness to the Albedo Map that the Alpha Channel starts out as White (not Black or transparent). This can be assured (Alpha Channel being White), if the Smoothness doesn't have an Alpha Channel to start with.

The Metallic Map (which can contain 2 or 3 textures - Metallic (Red Channel), Ambient Occlusion (AO) (Green Channel), and/ or Smoothness (Alpha Channel) - The Smoothness (Glossiness in Substance Painter) can be in the Albedo Map - one or the other; can not be in both): DXT5 (ARGB 8, 8, 8, 8) - can have Mipmaps.
* Make sure if you add the Smoothness to the Metallic Map that the Alpha Channel starts out as White (not Black or transparent). This can be assured (Alpha Channel being White), if the Smoothness doesn't have an Alpha Channel to start with.

The Blue Channel needs to be Black.

Hopefully, when Stevo gets back and running (his computer - not him :)), He can confirm this. If any of is not correct, I will make the corrections (so future people will see it). 1 question Stevo: Am I correct, when using PBR materials in P3D v4.4, none of the textures in question (or above) need to be vertically flipped?

The Keyword in both can have Mipmaps in either the Albedo Map or Metallic Map?

A Red and Yellow appearance within the Metallic Map could be correct... but since we don't know how you got to that - its hard to tell if it is correct in your case.

Last edited: