• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3Dv4 Dynamic Lighting

Country
unitedstates
As Arno said in the post below yours, you may have a bgl library - that means every object/model in this library is separate.

You can only apply effects on a model separate, not on libraries.

So a solution for your problem would be to place all the objects in one mdl file. Then you apply your effects and place it by using the placement tool in MCX.

I will certainly give this a try!

Country
hungary
Hi there!

I luckily found out by myself how to create dynamic lights for aprons for example, so I made a video to make it a bit more simple. IDK if I can share my YouTube link in this forum.

Really thanks for the video! It is very helpful!
I have two issues / questions:

Unfortunately from MCX the spotlight FX is not generated. It should be generated next to the mdl file, correct?

Why is it necessary to have the video_text.fx anyway? The spotlight alone would not be enough? What is the function of that effect?

Thanks a lot!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
The spotlight effect is only generated when you make a P3Dv4 mdl file, is that what you did?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Let me check, it might have made a mistake that it only does for v4 and not for v4.4.

Country
hungary
Let me check, it might have made a mistake that it only does for v4 and not for v4.4.
I have made a try with v4.2 and it is the same, the fx is not getting generated. I'm attaching the mdl.

Thank you!

Attachments

• LHBP_EF_lamp.MDL
    42.6 KB · Views: 315

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
4.2? MCX only had v4 MDL and v4.4 MDL as output options. So which one you used?

But I'll check tonight.

Country
hungary
4.2? MCX only had v4 MDL and v4.4 MDL as output options. So which one you used?

But I'll check tonight.
To be precise:
Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.2.21.24048
Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.4.16.27106

4.2 I used in MCX v4 BglComp and xtomdl slot.

Country
unitedkingdom
Really thanks for the video! It is very helpful!
I have two issues / questions:

Unfortunately from MCX the spotlight FX is not generated. It should be generated next to the mdl file, correct?

Why is it necessary to have the video_text.fx anyway? The spotlight alone would not be enough? What is the function of that effect?

Thanks a lot!

Hi!

The effect file from Visual FX alone won't work ( and same for the inverted way, so MCX spotlight only won't work either ).

Hope that will help you,

Norvin.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
As I thought there was indeed a bug that the effect was not written for the P3D v4.4 output. That will be fixed in the next development release.

Not sure why the v4 output did not work in your case, that should write the FX file.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I have to confirm that V4.4 does not have SpotLight generated after I save the model by MCX.
What can we do the work around before the next development release?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
If you use the latest development release now it should work, I have fixed that bug by now.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Still the same, Arno. I just download the latest development release. I attached the new effect to the light pole then I ->new-> SpotLight attached to the light pole model in MCX. After that I exported and I get MDL together with the new fx file. I compiled the mdl to get bgl and put bgl to the scenery and put the new fx file to Effect folder. No dynamic light there. I also attached the MDL file for you to check.

zbaaP3dv4_04NodynamicLight.jpg

Attachments

• LightPoleAppron01.mdl
    50.4 KB · Views: 354
Country
israel
Maybe you have a corrupted XtoMDL or BGL compiler try redownload the SDK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

In the MDL file I see nothing weird. But I'm currently traveling for work, so I can't test things in P3D at the moment.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I've got the dynamic light. I was looking on the wrong pole. The airport is so big and there are 3 types of light pole.
The method is simple. Just put spot light to the model in MCX, then adjust the angle and position to fit the model. Export it and get mdl together with the fx file. Put fx to effect folder and compile mdl to ge bgl and put to scenery folder. You are done!

Country
germany
Hi, is it already possible to make the taxiway lights as dynamic lights? So normally they should be reflected on PBR textures (like on the PMDG 747) while you taxi above it?

Thx for the answer :)