• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Best modeling program and newbie help/advice

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
How do you get a Cinema4D model into the sim? I’m always interested in what other workflows are used.

Country
sudan
3ds Max, no question; just not version 2013. The FSX and P3D sdks are designed to work with Max, although if you're using a recent version you'll need the P3D sdks only. Lucky you!

The paintkit is what the designer makes it: that's where a lot of developer time goes that the new modeller doesn't expect and it's down to him or her to make a useable paintkit. UV automatic unwrap used without thinking on the exterior mapping is what leads to jigsaw puzzles.

Which version is compatible with the games packs of FSX P3D

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
3ds Max 7, 8, 9 and 2008 work with the FSX sdk, but Max 7 won't even run under Windows 7, let alone Windows 8 or 10 and I don't know if Max 8 or 9 do either. I still use 2008, but with P3D v1.4 sdk.

Country
sudan
3ds Max 7, 8, 9 and 2008 work with the FSX sdk, but Max 7 won't even run under Windows 7, let alone Windows 8 or 10 and I don't know if Max 8 or 9 do either. I still use 2008, but with P3D v1.4 sdk.

Thanks for your reply, I'll look for it, can you provide me with a good text tutorials or manuals for designing in 3dsmax for FSX?, its hard for me to search all these resources.

Thanks and regards

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Milton Shupe's C162 tutorial is one of the best introductions I know, available in written form and also in videos. He's using Gmax, which is a subset of 3ds Max, but it's a good introduction.. You should also know it's for FS9, but the modelling methods are very similar - the main difference being FSX uses two models, one for the external view and the other for the VC, while FS9 uses just one

Country
sudan
Milton Shupe's C162 tutorial is one of the best introductions I know, available in written form and also in videos. He's using Gmax, which is a subset of 3ds Max, but it's a good introduction.. You should also know it's for FS9, but the modelling methods are very similar - the main difference being FSX uses two models, one for the external view and the other for the VC, while FS9 uses just one
Thanks, if you found something else that you think it'll help me please don't hesitate to contact me. Also i wonder is there any professional books made for fsx design specially for airplane designs? If so, can you provide me with some titles., thanks and regards.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
There are no published books specific to aircraft modeling as far as I've been able to find. I should think there simply isn't a very large market for such a niche product.

Country
sudan
There are no published books specific to aircraft modeling as far as I've been able to find. I should think there simply isn't a very large market for such a niche product.
Thanks for replying, I wonder how to get the full knowledge to be able to open my owen company for modeling, for FSX and P3D and so on, any idea?, i would be glad to find professional resources for FS development, as sometimes forums aren't organized and to be able to find a bit of information you have to spend over 50% of your time just looking up for it.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Well, not to throw a bucket of cold water, but I suspect you will have to learn the same way all of us here did; trial and error, with major emphasis on "error..." :duck:

We are here to provide guidance to specific questions, but honestly haven't the time for a complete treatise or book on the subject. :tongue-ti

Country
sudan
Well, not to throw a bucket of cold water, but I suspect you will have to learn the same way all of us here did; trial and error, with major emphasis on "error..." :duck:

We are here to provide guidance to specific questions, but honestly haven't the time for a complete treatise or book on the subject. :tongue-ti
Thank you, and regards.

Country
sudan
If anyone ever does write a book on the subject, they'll probably make a fortune!
Exactly, and it is strange that with all the forums out there and this vast community of simmers, no one thought of publishing a book about such important subject, someone has to think about it.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
How many of us do you think there are? I would guess less than 200. Not a big book market...

Country
sudan
How many of us do you think there are? I would guess less than 200. Not a big book market...
Where did you get this estimation from?!!!, the lack of resources can prevent the knowledge to spread, just look up how many questions are posted regarding modeling

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
If anyone ever does write a book on the subject, they'll probably make a fortune!

Ha! No! It's like any other book on a very specific subject. It usually costs a fortune, is only bought by a few lunatics with a budget and in an official positions and everybody else simply pirates it off the internet.

Country
england
My comment was mainly meant as tongue-in-cheek, sorry if it wasn't seen that way.