• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA New way to make light splash.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I am glad you like it. It is easy to make. But in P3D you need a new set of darker texture. It is always too bright in P3D, even it looks perfect in FSX.

Country
us-texas
Question, does anyone know why these 3D lights don't display the "splash" on the ground in P3D V3?

I load them and only the top portion of the light shows (the bloom), but no splash on the ground. If I load Instant Scenery 3 and open the bgl library that has the lights then the splash shows up correctly.

Interesting enough, when an object is loaded on Instant Scenery, all fog/shadow/crash/complexity settings are ignored for the rest of the session (I guess to make item selection easier), and textured transparencies become 100% specular.

Has anyone figured it out? And yes, my apron ground polys are ADEx :(
FSX and P3D V2 work great BTW.
David

Last edited:
Country
us-texas
I am glad you like it. It is easy to make. But in P3D you need a new set of darker texture. It is always too bright in P3D, even it looks perfect in FSX.

Tic, yes Indeed! I had to adjust the textures as you said once I saw them on V3 the first time!

Country
macedonia
My lights is flickering to the ground, i set the position of the light plane to 0.1 again its same, gp is 0.00 height, also i tryed with LODs and it looks good to 20000 feets approx..Above 20000 is flickering, any solution ? I saw in Belgrade X scenery from 40000 feets is good and above .. Thanks !!

Country
malaysia
Hello there :)

I think I have found a convenient way to solve all the bugs with light splash.

First of all, here are a few screens of the result:

As you can see, no "see-through" clouds:
Lq57JMc.jpg

ZhYbDAh.jpg

Working fine with foggy weather:

4dWSEHO.jpg

zO1DRQi.jpg

It switches off during the day:

QJMM246.jpg

You first need to create an effect with FSXeditor. I'll save you the work and give you the effect parameters I used in this example.

I created the effect from the default white nav. Then I modified the settings and created a new .bmp file for the effect:

vPRTdfl.jpg

To get this
ORcG6vc.jpg

I modified the .FX settings in order to get the effect to turn on the user's position.

The above effect is just an example. You can do whatever you want of course. Be sure to read the SDK help about effects. It is quite simple to create an effect, the SDK is very helpful.

Then you can use Tic's solution to add a light splash on the ground (but only on the ground):

LAaMYnJ.jpg

I did not see any FPS drop when using effects for light splash (but I admit this was only tested on a small airport). I'm sure we can make the light splash look better than in my example.

Please see attached my effect settings. ;)

If needed I can create a new topic about this solution with more details.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,
Hi Thomas,

I am keen to learn the way of doing this. Could you create a simple video how you have done this? That will make me to follow the steps easier. I am using blender as my modelling software.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I know this is quite an old topic.
I still have problem with too bright light from one-one blend.
I was wondering if you need to adjust other material properties as well... such as light bloom or other things.

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
I think the main cause of this issue is P3Ds HDR.
The nice glow from One/One becomes a hard-edged solid color.

I found that using One/DestColor gives a very nice glow (as I pointed out in this thread), however, when HDR is disabled the light all but disappears. I had to resort to going back to the original method and making the halos smaller.
When HDR is off the glow looks as it should like in legacy sims.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Do any others properties help with that problem, Mousy?
Such as alow bloom, bloom floor... etc.

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
So here I am thinking that I had this all figured out, then I got reminded why a lot of big developers have moved on from FSX. :banghead:

terminal.gif

These are light splashes using the One/One method. Works perfectly in P3Dv4 but not in FSX. They disappear not just behind clouds, but behind anything that is not terrain or autogen.
The "ground polygon" is a fully native FSX object placed with SODE so that it can make use of bump and detail mapping. I've tried all the Source/Destination Blend combinations I can think of. I've even tried a regular DXT5 material with some transparency and "Set Default Transparent". Each time it disappears. Weird thing is, another halo with an identical material setting as part of another model, does not disappear on the ground poly object.
Anybody remembers how we used to make this work in FSX?

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I think it is the same in FSX. My ground poly is FS2002 style, so the light is visible above ground poly. I also use One-One method. I use it just only the taxi way lights.
I used that once in runway guarding light and I got the same problem, the light is invisible.
Then I set up my the light box behind it to be default opaque and the light became visible. https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...al-airport-for-fsx.430996/page-16#post-813369
I use it for the light on the pole as well but only a small one not a light splash down to the ground. So the problem of disappearing behind the cloud is limited (not goes away but difficult to be seen).

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
Is there anyway at all to get bump/detail mapping on a ground polygon/object in FSX without making halos disappear?

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
Is there anyway at all to get bump/detail mapping on a ground polygon/object in FSX without making halos disappear?

Because I'm stubborn and refuse to use effects, I just spent the last 3 days thinking about this and I finally cracked it!
I figured out how to get any One/One light/ground splash to appear over a native FSX material "ground polygon" in FSX with full bump and detail mapping included.
2019-2-17_2-58-22-307.png

The trick is to have your lights and your ground polygon as part of the same object.
Then place it using SODE as a simobject.

I found that when the lights were separate from everything else, they disappeared behind other objects. This happened even when the lights were separate simobjects themselves. But I discovered that if a simobject model had a One/One halo inside of itself, it did not disappear behind any other part of that same model.

So i joined my ground poly, taxilight models, and light halos into one sim object model for use in the night. Then created another model stripped of the halos and ground splashes for use in the day. Then I used the conditional visibility options of SODE to control when each one appears. Using this method you can also add a condition for low met visibility. And guess what! No annoying white models in fog either!

2019-2-17_2-58-42-497.png

No more choosing between working lights or working bump/detail mapped ground polys in FSX!:rotfl:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Because I'm stubborn and refuse to use effects, I just spent the last 3 days thinking about this and I finally cracked it!
I figured out how to get any One/One light/ground splash to appear over a native FSX material "ground polygon" in FSX with full bump and detail mapping included.
View attachment 47874
The trick is to have your lights and your ground polygon as part of the same object.
Then place it using SODE as a simobject.

I found that when the lights were separate from everything else, they disappeared behind other objects. This happened even when the lights were separate simobjects themselves. But I discovered that if a simobject model had a One/One halo inside of itself, it did not disappear behind any other part of that same model.

So i joined my ground poly, taxilight models, and light halos into one sim object model for use in the night. Then created another model stripped of the halos and ground splashes for use in the day. Then I used the conditional visibility options of SODE to control when each one appears. Using this method you can also add a condition for low met visibility. And guess what! No annoying white models in fog either!

View attachment 47875

No more choosing between working lights or working bump/detail mapped ground polys in FSX!:rotfl:
That is a very good news. I will try that. I think it is the best way to do. By the way, FSX does not support native ground poly like this, does it? Since there is no Z bias in FSX, only in P3Dv3 or above.

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
That is a very good news. I will try that. I think it is the best way to do. By the way, FSX does not support native ground poly like this, does it? Since there is no Z bias in FSX, only in P3Dv3 or above.
Not strictly as FSX Ground Polygon BGL, no; the detail/bump maps will be lost I think; but as a normal FSX MDL, yes.
So the method I use is to create a P3D BGL from the GP Wizard of MCX (which saves all the detail/bump maps and Z-bias in the BGL) and then use MCX to convert that BGL to a native FSX MDL to the SimObjects folder of SODE.
(You could just set the Z-bias yourself in the material editor instead of going through the GP wizard first, but I like using the wizard as it allows me to set the layers easily).
SODE allows you to place the native FSX object and shift if up a certain distance (example 1 foot) when the user aircraft passes a certain altitude (example 1000 feet). This avoids all flickering when viewed from above (Except in zoomed out top-down view with the aircraft still on the ground, but I don't mind that).