• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 P3D V4 Plexi 'Heavy Tint' issue

Country
us-arizona
Hey all,

How on Earth do you lower 'Opacity' on plexi in P3D V4 with textures/Alpha? I cannot seem to figure a way to do it.

Some of the people that have this plane have tinted side windows, (clear front plexi perspex). I cannot seem to make a Alpha or layer 'low' in visibility. I have a blackish tint (dark gray) and I have tried everything I know. I dug out the DC3 texture hoping to find a setting in there. Nada....

Anyone know of a way?

I also created a Plexi_Opacity texture which works in Max, white being full block and black is crystal clear. Nada in V4. Totally clear. That should have worked fine.

Have tried many settings in the texture settings. Anyone have one that is actually working in V4?

V4 is different then FSX. My Learjet usually works with back windows tinted, but in V4, it also shows clear. No tint visible.

I would be grateful for any advice or help.

Bill

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Bill, try using a standard P3DMaterial with One and SrcAlpha as the Framebuffer Blend mode:

CXvU1.png

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Bill, try using a standard P3DMaterial with One and SrcAlpha as the Framebuffer Blend mode:

You beat me to it Bill, - these are the settings I use for P3D and they work pretty well. It's also advisable to use a Fresnel Lens texture assigned to the material, so that P3D v4's dynamic reflections don't turn the canopy glass blue all the time.

Country
us-arizona
Many thanks guys.

Deano1973, I havent heard of the 'Fresnal Lens' texture. Where might that be located? Is it in a stock plane?

Country
us-arizona
Dang... That worked. Many thanks, Bill!

Now to figure out how to get reflections back.

Tried quite a few tricks. The sim really likes using the Alpha on Diffuse for reflections. I made a fake Fresnal_Ramp material, duplicating what Microsoft Aces used in the DC3, added Specular and Reflections assignments to that, but it didnt work. Still bland, as shown below. If I can just get that super nice reflection going.. I would have to jump up on the desk and do the Happy Dance!

Attachments

• prithosrif.JPG
    prithosrif.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 208
  • rgbfvdcs.JPG
    rgbfvdcs.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 227

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
The Fresnel Lens from my Northrop Reporter is attached. It governs how reflections appear based on line of sight - either face on as per a window, or down the length of a material which may appear matt face on, but peering down its length with give a mirror effect. To choose one way or the other, just flip the texture - simples :)

Not sure where your reflections have gone, but you seem to be doing everything right. MCX settings for my tinted camera windows in the Reporter in the image, Framebuffer Blend for those was Destination: Src Color and Source: InvSRC Color respectively. You might need to flip the Fresnel if the reflections don't look quite right though.

Attachments

• Fresnel_ramp.zip
    582 bytes · Views: 193
  • MCX Settings.jpg
    MCX Settings.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 193
Country
us-arizona
Thanks Deano. Will check this out. Thanks for the Fresnal. Where are they usually stored in FSX/P3D?

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I don't recall where it was originally, but probably in Global>Texture or similar. A lot of airplanes have their own version, renamed, and if you make your own with full colour variations instead of grey scale then you can get some really funky rainbow / iridium hues out of glass textures and other things too, depending on what angle you end up looking at them from. Handy for those gold-tinted canopies on some military recon' aircraft, designed to protect the crews from radiation.

Country
us-arizona
I don't recall where it was originally, but probably in Global>Texture or similar. A lot of airplanes have their own version, renamed, and if you make your own with full colour variations instead of grey scale then you can get some really funky rainbow / iridium hues out of glass textures and other things too, depending on what angle you end up looking at them from. Handy for those gold-tinted canopies on some military recon' aircraft, designed to protect the crews from radiation.

Dang...! That is good knowledge. A thousand thanks, Deano.

Country
us-arizona
Another day spent trying to get this to work. Went back to the original. I can live without my blackened side windows. :) Not a problem. MY GOODNESS!!! Nothing worked.

I am guessing it might be the new SDK since V2. Thats about when I lost opacity adjustment.

Thanks guys for your help. Wish it had worked.

Country
us-arizona
So yesterday evening, going through the FSX SDK Materials and their effects page, which continues to bongle my mind via its complexity, I happened at one point to pass my cursor over the above 'Chrome' material JPG, and.... it... lights up with green rectangles and 'notes' (yes... NOTES>>>>) on how each section of the Material operates in the sim.

sigh...

If only.. in the past 16 to 20 years, I had known that that was there.

I had accidentally adjusted my Chrome to be invisible (backwards polygons showing just by a glitch setting messed up in Chrome) and by studying the SDK, I found this neat feature for seeing how things work...

So... 'environment' means 'reflections'... I had begun to formulate that that was what 'environment' meant, 'reflections'... But wasnt rock solid on that till I found the help hover zones on the Chrome Material sample, and sure enough, environment is indeed reflections.

So much learned, so much still yet to learn. Sad so much time was lost.

I still think the materials are radically complicated. But at least we have some nice tools for tapping the surface of their capabilities.

Country
us-arizona
I noticed also that 'temperature' is added to the Materials slider settings, under reflections. This must be a PBR feature? But its in the standard P3D material section.

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
It does seem to me also that with flightsim development it's often two steps forward, one step back: glad that you solved the problem though. Not sure what temperature does in reflections, but I know I've encountered if before for some reason - something to do with intensity perhaps? Who knows... o_O

Country
us-arizona
It does seem to me also that with flightsim development it's often two steps forward, one step back: glad that you solved the problem though. Not sure what temperature does in reflections, but I know I've encountered if before for some reason - something to do with intensity perhaps? Who knows... o_O

I didnt get it working.. I was able to restore it back to where it was. Perhaps someday I'll get it working. For now, it went overbudget. Going to pass on this option.

Yep, I like that. Two steps forward, one step backwards. Sometimes, like the past many days, its like 2 steps forward and 4 steps back. The more I tried to fix this (get this new feature working), the worse it became... lolol..

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I noticed also that 'temperature' is added to the Materials slider settings, under reflections. This must be a PBR feature? But its in the standard P3D material section.
Nope! That is a standard P3D Material option.

The PBRMaterial options are much less complicated... :rotfl: