• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Editing an SBP File?

Country
us-arizona
Hey all,

I have moved my SBX folder from C: drive to another drive.

Tonight, I have learned that the folders for the files of a project are embedded into the saved scenery file, (SBP file type). Every time I tried to open a particular file, it said 'There was a problem with the Map, the Map is being deleted!' which freaked me out... each time it happened...

So I took a copy of the file to the Desktop, renamed it a TXT file, opened it, and sure enough, it has file locations to various maps still pointing towards their original locations which was C: drive. They are now on G: drive.

I tried changing the drive map target points to G: drive, saved, renamed the file back to SBP, tried opening it with SBuilderX and no-go. Statement appears 'This is not a pure SBuilderX file'. So something isnt saving correctly in Notepad.

Any advice? Perhaps I should just move the entire thing back to C: drive, finish things, then move it all back to G: drive again to store it all.... Would be nice though to get it modified so I didnt have to move things. C: drive is packed...

Country
us-illinois
Hi Bill:

I agree with George's suggested procedure above.

I would also recommend that you take these additional steps:

In SBuilderX version 3.15 launched from the old original hard drive location:

Create a blank new project, name it, and save it as a new *.SBP file on the new hard drive location.

Copy the entire folder chain of SBuilderX version 3.15 from the old original hard drive location to the new drive

In SBuilderX version 3.15 launched from the new hard drive location:

Open the existing *.SBP (SBuilder Project) file on the new hard drive location.

Append a copy of the new *.SBX (SBuilder EXchange) file which has the edited new file / folder paths as recommended by George above.

Immediately "Save" the *.SBP file to the new hard drive, allowing permission to over-write it if prompted.

Exit SBuilderX, then re-launch it from the new hard drive location

As most recently used folder / file paths are stored in the SBuilderX.ini file, that info should be checked and edited as needed ...immediately after SBuilderX is re-launched, via:

SBuilderX Menu > Edit > Edit .INI file ...

Hope this helps a bit more. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
Thanks guys.

Solved. I just recopied everything back to C: drive, working fine.

I had changed all data (folder locations) in the INI before I started redoing files. The issue is in each scenery file, not SBX per say. The scenery file saves its locations of files in it. Its a self contained module of data locations. So opening it up in a strange new location and its home locations gone, it triggers the 'self-map destruct' and turns off SBX, causing a spike in adrennalin of said developer, and instantaneous eyebrow growth and graying of eyebrows of said developer... instantly..

If only there was an editor that could open these and edit them without issue. Thats what I needed. :)

All fixed though. Back on C: drive. When the project is done, I'll backup to its secondary vacation cabin drive.

old Bill...

Country
us-illinois
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/editing-an-sbp-file.445423/#post-822693

The issue is in each scenery file, not SBX per se. The scenery file saves its locations of files in it. Its a self contained module of data locations. So opening it up in a strange new location and its home locations gone, it triggers the 'self-map destruct' and turns off SBX, causing a spike in adrennalin of said developer, and instantaneous eyebrow growth and graying of eyebrows of said developer... instantly..

If only there was an editor that could open these and edit them without issue. Thats what I needed. :)

Hi Bill:

AFAIK, the "MAP" is a virtual object 'work set' within the SBuilder work-space based on configuration parameters of:

* 'Photo [ # # ].BMP' filename of the merged selected imagery tile mosaic output by Add > Map > From > Background

* 'Photo [ # # ].INF' parameter values for source data file / folder paths and source data filenames

By default SBuilderX writes into- and reads from- ONLY:

[SBuilderX install path]\Tools\Work

...all derived Seasonal / Night variations / Masks defined in the *.INF file for that "MAP" work set.

The SBuilderX default *.INF output for each "MAP" requires that all the above files must be within that same sub-folder.

If we remove source files from the above default 'Work' sub-folder into another sub-folder chain ex: to separate components for project area coverage extents, we must manually edit the paths within the pertinent *.INF file for those removed source files which comprise the data set for that "MAP" ...in order for the SBuilderX sub-system to operate as intended. :pushpin:

It would indeed be helpful if further enhancements were made available for SBuilderX end users, such as a work set path browse feature to swap out sub-sets of source data for projects with larger geographic coverage extents from folder chains outside the SBuilderX folder chain, and to semi-automatically update path info written into "MAP" *.INF files. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
You wrote;
It would indeed be helpful if further enhancements were made available for SBuilderX end users, such as a work set path browse feature to swap out sub-sets of source data for projects with larger geographic coverage extents from folder chains outside the SBuilderX folder chain, and to semi-automatically update path info written into "MAP" *.INF files. :)

GaryGB

I agree..