• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Geographic data in Sbuilderx

Country
spain
Hello. I have vectorial data obtained on a gubernamental source. After processing on Qgis, i exported layers (for example Rivers) as a ESRI Shp on Sbuilderx. But my question is its possible to make a complete selection of all the lines and assign the class, or i must to select every single line and assign one by one?
Thanks

Country
us-illinois
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/geographic-data-in-sbuilderx.446165/post-830623

Hello. I have vectorial data obtained on a gubernamental source. After processing on Qgis, i exported layers (for example Rivers) as a ESRI Shp on Sbuilderx. But my question is its possible to make a complete selection of all the lines and assign the class, or i must to select every single line and assign one by one?
Thanks

IIUC, you imported ESRI SHP files into SBuilderX, and wish to select them all, assign the same land class scenery type GUID to them as a group, then compile them all into a single BGL.

AFAIK, one must assign a land class scenery type GUID to them as each individual SHP file is imported into SBuilderX.

Perhaps you can merge all the ex: 'river' objects within QGIS prior to export as a single SHP file ? :scratchch

NOTE: All CVX vector objects must be segmented (aka "clipped") at LOD-9 / QMID-11 quad borders for use within the framework of the FS terrain grid; there are features in SBuilderX to assist with that process. :idea:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
spain
Hello Gary. Dont works. After merging in Qgis every river in one single object, when SbuilderX append the esri shape, automatically connect the last vertex of every line with the first of the next. Look at these pics:
1) This is the layer "rios" in Qgis, after every single river is merged just an only element

2) This is how is appended in Sbuilder X

Attachments

• Image 023.jpg
    Image 023.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 148
  • Image 024.jpg
    Image 024.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 151
Country
us-illinois
Hi again:

IIUC, you are using the IGN GIS Hydrographic data for Ceuta ? :scratchch

http://centrodedescargas.cnig.es/CentroDescargas/catalogo.do?Serie=CAANE#

http://centrodedescargas.cnig.es/CentroDescargas/catalogo.do?Serie=CAANE

DH-CEUTA.ZIPSHAPE0.17

LINEASCOSTA.ZIPSHAPE40.23

IIUC, objects in your screenshot from QGIS are derived from this source file: (Metadata in Global Mapper):

FILENAME=hi_subcuenca_s_ES150.shp ([path]\DH_Ceuta.zip)
DESCRIPTION=hi_subcuenca_s_ES150.shp
AREA COUNT=33
AREA VERTEX COUNT=11835
LINE COUNT=0
POINT COUNT=0
MESH COUNT=0
UPPER LEFT X=-5.3821990315
UPPER LEFT Y=35.9179803378
LOWER RIGHT X=-5.2782883764
LOWER RIGHT Y=35.8708160403
WEST LONGITUDE=5.38219903° W
NORTH LATITUDE=35.91798034° N
EAST LONGITUDE=5.27828838° W
SOUTH LATITUDE=35.87081604° N
UL CORNER LONGITUDE=5.38219903° W
UL CORNER LATITUDE=35.91798034° N
UR CORNER LONGITUDE=5.27828838° W
UR CORNER LATITUDE=35.91798034° N
LR CORNER LONGITUDE=5.27828838° W
LR CORNER LATITUDE=35.87081604° N
LL CORNER LONGITUDE=5.38219903° W
LL CORNER LATITUDE=35.87081604° N
PROJ_DESC=Geographic (Latitude/Longitude) / ETRS89 / arc degrees
PROJ_DATUM=ETRS89
PROJ_UNITS=arc degrees
EPSG_CODE=EPSG:4258
COVERED AREA=49.136 sq km
CODE_PAGE=1252 (ANSI)
LOAD TIME=0.02 s

IIUC, all 33 objects in hi_subcuenca_s_ES150.shp are Polygons, and must be converted to Lines by QGIS.

They can then be Appended to SBuilderX as ESRI SHP files, and the desired GUID assigned to them.

Please let me know if I correctly understood what you are doing and/or which source data you are using. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
spain
Hi Gary. Indeed, my data source is the IGN, but the file is as follows:
The file is BTN25 (National Topographic Base), sheet BCN0302L_RIO_line.shp

BCN0302L_RIO_line
C: \ Users \ Admin1 \ Downloads \ 28098 \ BCN0302L_RIO_line.shp
ESRI Shapefile

Name
BCN0302L_RIO_line
Route
Storage
ESRI Shapefile
Commentary

Coding
System
Geometry
Line (LineStringZ)
SRC
EPSG: 25830 - ETRS89 / UTM zone 30N - Projected
Extension
287421.9113434686441906,3970514.7997392229735851: 293438.5999766904860735,3976269.7001488539390266
Unity
meters
Number of objects

The "rivers" objects are not polygons, they are lines to which I want to assign the "streams" GUID in SBUILDERX. But it does not allow me to select all at once, but it has to be done individually.
Thanks

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Thanks
In SBuilderX, make the Lines tool active. Use the Select tab, and select all lines (or use ctrl+right-mouse-button and make a selection box), Right-click to see ON MANY LINES, and choose properties. The Vector Lines Tab allows you to assign a new GUID for the type of line on all the selected lines.

When you first append a shape file, you can assign the GUID to the type of lines you want...

Country
us-illinois
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/geographic-data-in-sbuilderx.446165/post-830712

In SBuilderX, make the Lines tool active. Use the Select tab, and select all lines (or use ctrl+right-mouse-button and make a selection box), Right-click to see ON MANY LINES, and choose properties. The Vector Lines Tab allows you to assign a new GUID for the type of line on all the selected lines.

When you first append a shape file, you can assign the GUID to the type of lines you want...

Hi Dick:

Thanks for the reminder about availability of that helpful ON MANY LINES option in SBuilderX. :)

I had forgotten about that option, perhaps due to my initial lack of success finding "ON MANY LINES " anywhere via a Search within the SBuilderX Help file documentation, and due to my subsequent difficulty getting it to display in the SBuilderX work-space. :duck:

I do have a vague recollection of once seeing that option discussed somewhere years ago, but, in spite of the procedural guide you posted above, and as cited in these other older posts: :scratchch

http://www.ptsim.com/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&f=18&p=699

http://www.ptsim.com/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&f=18&p=3289&sid=4c353aad65c6095fb71523ec2d9bc2d9

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/error-when-compiling-road-traffic.19424/post-630815

..I was thus far unable to get that option to appear in the pop-up Right-click menu. :banghead:

FYI: It was when I followed your more explicitly detailed steps that I was able to successfully 'see' the "ON MANY LINES" option in the context menu ...as you described in this older thread: :pushpin:

rhumbaflappy said:
http://www.ptsim.com/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&f=22&p=6247

by rhumbaflappy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:24 am

I think you could start a new project with the lines, select the lines icon, and then hold the keyboard ctrl key and left-click to select the lines ( in a box ). After selection, (let) go of the ctrl key, then right-click on one of the lines, and it should popup as ON MANY LINES... from there you can select the properties, and give the lines a type.

You can also select all the lines by selecting the lines icon, Select menu All Lines, then right-click to get ON MANY LINES.

It would have been easier have separate SHP files for each different type of line, then append those ( selecting the type at that time ).

Dick

That procedure was finally successful for me; many thanks for having shared that prior explicitly-worded guide with us. :teacher:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/geographic-data-in-sbuilderx.446165/post-830700

Hi Gary:

Indeed, my data source is the IGN, but the file is as follows:
The file is BTN25 (National Topographic Base), sheet BCN0302L_RIO_line.shp

BCN0302L_RIO_line
ESRI Shapefile

Name
BCN0302L_RIO_line
Route
Storage
ESRI Shapefile
Commentary

Coding
System
Geometry
Line (LineStringZ)
SRC
EPSG: 25830 - ETRS89 / UTM zone 30N - Projected
Extension
287421.9113434686441906,3970514.7997392229735851: 293438.5999766904860735,3976269.7001488539390266
Unity
meters
Number of objects

The "rivers" objects are not polygons, they are lines to which I want to assign the "streams" GUID in SBuilderX. But it does not allow me to select all at once, but it has to be done individually.
Thanks

Thanks for the heads-up on availability of the Rivers data in that separate ESRI SHP file. ;)

I had thought the IGN Hydrographic data set would include Rivers based on this description:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://centrodedescargas.cnig.es/CentroDescargas/catalogo.do?Serie=CAANE&prev=search

"Hydrography

• Description: Hydrography elements (physical waters) both natural and artificial (rivers, canals, ditches, lakes, reservoirs, dams, points of hydrographic interest, etc.), and hydrographic network (nodes, sections), with national coverage."
[EDITED]

NOTE: Due to a lack of sufficient time when I wrote my original reply above, I did not also verify the alignment which resulted from converting the Hydrographic Polygons to Lines in the SHP file I used as cited above, by checking their positions over a imagery background; so I did not yet recognize that they would not be an acceptable data set for Rivers based on a quick glance at your screenshot in your second post above.

Sorry, but I had not anticipated the Ceuta Rivers would instead be packaged in this IGN data set: :scratchch

"MTN25 and MTN50 cartographic grids

• Description: official cartographic grids of MTN50 and MTN25.
  • SGR: ETRS89 or ED50 (depending on edition) in the Peninsula, Balearic Islands, Ceuta and Melilla, and REGCAN95 in the Canary Islands. Geographic coordinates longitude and latitude."
ign_ceuta_btn25_results-jpg.52075

I do now have the data set you specified above, and can confirm that Dick's SBuilderX work-flow above does quickly assign the GUID to all Appended and Selected *.SHP Lines.

However, I do also understand a possible related concern in the OP above, which is, IIUC, how to reduce the work-load of individually importing many *.SHP files into SBuilderX.

As I stated in my original reply above, although I do not personally use QGIS (I prefer to use Global Mapper), I am fairly certain that it does have a method which can be used to 'select' all desired River Line objects, then export them into a single "Line" type ESRI SHP file.

It is this procedure of exporting all selected objects from QGIS into a single *.SHP file which I was referring to- rather than a 'structural' merge of all individual objects- in my original reply above; my apologies for not having worded that more clearly. :oops:

If you can identify a way to select' all desired River Line objects, then export them into a single "Line" type ESRI SHP file, you will thereby reduce the work-load to the level of a (1) SHP file Append (-that would otherwise have involved individually Appending many *.SHP files 1-at-a-time) ...into SBuilderX.

As you may know, ESRI SHP files must be in EPSG:4326 GIS format if Appended by SBuilderX, so use QGIS to 're-project' the River objects to that GIS format before export into a single *.SHP file ...intended for SBuilderX use.

[END_EDIT]

FYI: If the vector objects contained in the *.SHP files Appended to SBuilderX are intended to all be assigned the same GUID such as a "textured Stream" ex:

[Texture.0]
Name=Stream_Lines_Perennial
Color=FF01A2FF
guid={2D3FC985-A72B-473D-B23B-D78E72E63B53}
LegacyId=1024
Textures=RiverSU.bmp
Layout=3_PLUS_1
StripWidthMeters=64
Size=4
FlattenMode=offset
FlattenOffsetMeters=-1
FlattenPriority=11000
LandClassRemapType=none
ExcludeAutogen=Yes
RenderToTexture=Yes
RenderPriority=51000
Water=No

...and if you intend to use all default land class and water class for terrain textures from BGLs compiled via SDK SHP2VEC, rather than a custom photo-real imagery land class BGL compiled via SDK Resample for your Ceuta scenery, then this WOULD certainly work for you.

Be aware, however, that if you do instead intend to use a custom photo-real imagery land class BGL for terrain textures in your Ceuta scenery, then this would NOT work for you, as the River objects (internally rendered on a lower scenery layer as ex: a "textured Stream") ...would be covered up by the custom photo-real imagery land class textures. :alert:

But, if you wanted to make the Rivers more visible within the custom photo-real imagery land class textures, you could use a Land-Water Mask to define a 'Hydro' attribute over the 'visible' River water areas ...when the other 'visible' source image of the photo-real imagery is compiled via SDK Resample. :idea:

Also, if you use a Blend Mask, you can allow the 'visible' River water areas within the photo-real imagery to show through ...when the other 'visible' source image of the photo-real imagery is compiled via SDK Resample.

Alternatively, if you use a Blend Mask, you can substitute an assigned Water Class texture color to a CVX vector polygon using the GUID chosen in SBuilderX so that it will be displayed for River water areas on top of the photo-real imagery ...when it is compiled via SDK Resample.

If you wish to learn more about how that is achieved, feel free to inquire further, and I can link you to some tutorials on those procedures. :)

GaryGB

Attachments

• IGN_Ceuta_BTN25_Results.jpg
    IGN_Ceuta_BTN25_Results.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 516
Last edited:
Country
spain
Thanks Rhumbaflappy and GaryGB, now its working perfectly. And Gary, my intention is not to make the scenery over photorreal, im just trying to change the default scenery for Ceuta (In FSX is really distorted about reality), to a new landclass, vectorial and autogen new data. I dont like so much the photorrealistic sceneries, and ever thought that a good landclass asignation (even with no change on original textures) is better.
Thanks again. See you!!!