• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

New install problem

Country
unitedstates
Recently bought a new Windows 10 computer given Win7 will not be supported anymore. Backed up the old one to an external drive and installed most everything to the new one to include FSX Steam Edition and ADE 175. I've got FSX running, but ADE has an issue I don't understand. See attachment.

Help would be appreciated.

IOS Win 10 x64

Attachments

• ade_problem.jpg
    ade_problem.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 165

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
go to the FSX folder inside the ADE main folder. find any file called thumbnail.idx and delete it. Try running ADE again

Country
unitedstates
go to the FSX folder inside the ADE main folder. find any file called thumbnail.idx and delete it. Try running ADE again

Ok Jon we're getting there. ADE is up and running. I can get my project in. But when I try to compile it won't because the
shp vec isn't found, which is a folders problem I suppose. I have the Lockheed prepar_v4SDK in place?

What else is wrong?

Attachments

• ade_folders.jpg
    ade_folders.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 139

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Well the first thing is that you seem to be using FSX:SE but are pointing ADE to the P3D v4 compiler. You need to match the SDK to the sim version you have, In this case there is no SDK shipped with FSX:SE so most people use the P3D v1.4 SDK which you can get from here: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/prepar3d-v1-sdk.227/

Install this and make sure you point ADE to the correct folders for BglComp and Shp2Vec

Country
unitedstates
Well the first thing is that you seem to be using FSX:SE but are pointing ADE to the P3D v4 compiler. You need to match the SDK to the sim version you have, In this case there is no SDK shipped with FSX:SE so most people use the P3D v1.4 SDK which you can get from here: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/prepar3d-v1-sdk.227/

Install this and make sure you point ADE to the correct folders for BglComp and Shp2Vec

Ok...back in business thank you! Another question though. I moved my airport .ad4 file to the new computer, opened it the editor and all my old
modifications were there. I was able to compile them but they don't appear in the sim? Do I have to start over? Also there is another airport nearby that I've flown into may times, never worked it in ADE, but buildings that were there aren't any more. Even the stock airport has some. All that shows now is the tower?

Any suggestions?

Country
unitedstates
Thanks for replying Tom. The bgl compiler is in the Lockheed Prepar 3D_SDK 2.4.4747 Enviroment kit and I would assume it would send the file to the proper place? But, being no expert at this, I'm a little hesitant about poking around to find it. Can you tell me where to look?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

The compiled files depend on the locations stated within the Options -> Project within ADE.

Option_Projects.png

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
The compile location for a specific project is shown on the compile dialog

1577257154047.png

Clicking Open Folder will actually show you where the compiled airport is (providing it did compile)

1577257213287.png

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Another way if you have 1.77/1.78. Load the project file then go to Help > Diagnostics > Project Setting File

1577261645159.png

Compile Location in my case for this project is 1. This means compile to the Addon Scenery\scenery folder

0 = compile with Project File
1 = compile to Addon Scenery\scenery folder
2 = compile to Custom Compile Folder. (if there is one then it is listed as CustomCompileFolder

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks for replying Tom. The bgl compiler is in the Lockheed Prepar 3D_SDK 2.4.4747 Enviroment kit and I would assume it would send the file to the proper place? But, being no expert at this, I'm a little hesitant about poking around to find it. Can you tell me where to look?

Is that a typo for the compiler? I assume you have installed the P3D v1.4 SDK for FSX? Using a FS mismatched compiler will cause all sorts of problems

Country
unitedstates
Another way if you have 1.77/1.78. Load the project file then go to Help > Diagnostics > Project Setting File

View attachment 53765
Compile Location in my case for this project is 1. This means compile to the Addon Scenery\scenery folder

0 = compile with Project File
1 = compile to Addon Scenery\scenery folder
2 = compile to Custom Compile Folder. (if there is one then it is listed as CustomCompileFolder

Thank you for your patience. We're inching closer.....

My compile options screen looks like Attachment (1). I'm thinking the Compile Folder box should look like Attachment (2)

But I can't point to it since there's no browse button, nor can I erase what's there to type it in?

And yes to your other question..... I have P3D v1.4 SDK for FSX installed.

Never mind I found "more options"...... sorry

Attachments

• compile_options.jpg
    compile_options.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 139
  • path.jpg
    path.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
The Open Folder button on the main dialog box will also allow you to change the folder ADE compiles this file to.

Country
unitedstates
The Open Folder button on the main dialog box will also allow you to change the folder ADE compiles this file to.

That helped Tom. But there's still something not working. I compiled my airport using the .ad4 file. In the sim the vectors for taxi paths that I had created show but no buildings, vegetation, vehicle objects, etc. More strange...I loaded the stock airport that has numerous buildings, etc. Compiled that and nothing shows in the sim except the terrain which is snow covered mountains?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Attach your project file to a post here so that we can check it. If you have v1.77/78 then please go to Help > Diagnostics > Project Settings File. Click the Copy button and past the result into a post.

The possibility also exists that you have several bgl files for this airport and one is cancelling your airport or scenery data. Make sure your project is loaded then Go to Tools > File Priority Analyzer. click the checkboxes as shown in the example below and then click Scan

1577370921682.png

Take a screenshot of the result and post it here

Country
unitedstates
Attach your project file to a post here so that we can check it. If you have v1.77/78 then please go to Help > Diagnostics > Project Settings File. Click the Copy button and past the result into a post.

The possibility also exists that you have several bgl files for this airport and one is cancelling your airport or scenery data. Make sure your project is loaded then Go to Tools > File Priority Analyzer. click the checkboxes as shown in the example below and then click Scan

View attachment 53772

Take a screenshot of the result and post it here

Attached are the project files. I'll have to get back to you re: File Priority Analyzer because it couldn't locate the scenery.cfg file which is most likely the problem.

Attachments

• KEKN_ADEX_ADE.ad4
    41.7 KB · Views: 124
  • KEKN_ADEX_ADE.bgl
    12.5 KB · Views: 124
  • KEKN_ADEX_ADE_CVX.bgl
    479 bytes · Views: 168

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
what is the problem.? At first it seemed you could not find where you compiled to. That looks fixed since you posted the bgl files. Are they in Addon Scenery \scenery? If so then the current problem appears to be that you do not see the changes you expected when you run the sim?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
If you are compiling to the Addon Scenery/scenery folder, make sure that the Addon Scenery layer in the Scenery Library is present and checked as active. It should be listed above all default scenery layers.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I dropped your two BGL files into the FSX/Addon Scenery/scenery folder. The result looks fine, so ADE is working OK:

ade_kekn.jpg

GHD

Country
england
Did you do a split comppile? If so, did you copy all files to an active area?