• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Amazing Procedural Planets (Also Starships and impressive acrobatic skills)

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Ah, Star Citizen. The biggest scam in gaming history. Always guaranteed to provide hilarity on one level or another.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Ah, Star Citizen. The biggest scam in gaming history. Always guaranteed to provide hilarity on one level or another.
So, no ILS, no weather, as in rain, no AI traffic, but still a legitimate flight sim then?

Country
us-arizona
Amazing, incredibly detailed game. I played the free week to check it out and was utterly amazed. Much better then that other massive franchise that is so huge and difficult to play.

I had issues with getting lost in the cities, not knowing where to go. The details and things were so dense that I found myself going in circles.

I couldnt believe the realism in flight around planets. One planet I went to, their world they are really advertising that is new, I remember flying out of the atmosphere in in one of my fave ships. It was dusk, the sun had just gone down, I was departing the main city. I tried to save while in my bunk asleep, auto pilot going. You are supposed to be able to do that, but it didnt work. I found several bugs in the game, and that seemed to be one of them, in that ship, at that planet, at what ever low orbit position I was at, etc, etc. But.... I was impressed.

Those guys get MASSIVE prices for ships... I should probably look into making some. My goodness... And they are awesome!

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
So, no ILS, no weather, as in rain, no AI traffic, but still a legitimate flight sim then?

"Flight" sim.

One common joke is that, due to the implementation of various crew member jobs, you can come home from your soul-crushing real world job as a janitor and keep right on working as a virtual janitor on a space ship.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
you can come home from your soul-crushing real world job as a janitor and keep right on working as a virtual janitor on a space ship.
You may want to reconsider your priorities in life.

Just how committed are you to the perpetually unfinished Star Citizen? Committed enough that you'd be willing to take out a loan? If so, you're in luck. Cloud Imperium has introduced a Legatus Pack that gives you 117 ships and 163 extras for $27,000 -- you need to have spent over $1,000 on game content before you can even see the product page.
https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/29/star-citizen-27000-ship-pack/

So you mean, after I finish earning my $27000 truck, for the day, I can earn my $27000 spaceship for the day? Or, let me guess, that job pays in "Tribble dollars," or some such, which I could probably use to buy a virtual version of the Cloud Imperium ships, that I can only use on monitors in a virtual version of the game, while playing the game.

At least it looks sweet enough to inspire a decent reverie, if nothing else.

dims

Country
argentina

I agree with the hilarity part, but... I mean, look at all the work they have done, all those resources expended in coding and making the game and not expended on drugs and booze? Worst scam EVER!

No ILS yet, just exclusion zones that kills you if you go near them
There is weather according to the biomes of every planet now; wind intensity and rain/snow too and temperature (But that only affect your pilot when is outside the ship; no icing effects on flight yet)
AI traffic is limited now (Just police scaning you and pirates that shoots you) but there are gonna be in the final release
So.... yeah, a Combat Space Flight Sim :p

The part about expensive ships... come on, they're just ways to fund the project, you don't need them. You can just buy the $50 or so base game/package and get those fancy ships with in-game money.

Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
The part about expensive ships... come on, they're just ways to fund the project, you don't need them.
You know, you say that, but then, instead of making a Lufthansa livery, or developing an airport, someone takes the time to make this, because where it is seen, it is incredibly relevant and more rewarding than developing content, or discussing development, they are yucking it up about everyone's tendency to "fund the project."

ln2y45qcqo941.jpg

So.... yeah, a Combat Space Flight Sim
Ok, but not a "landing sim," because in this video, they are joking about using runways, the same way the last guy joked about not buying ships.

Just seen someone else post about runway landings, here's my attempt from last year.

Many of the images I see are of sweeping vistas, or dramatic, iconographic ships. The fins, antenna, thrusters and weapons of these ships, to me, seem to be arranged to imbue an emotional response, as opposed to a sense of functionality. The flight sequences seem to contain just enough elements of my familiar world, trees and clouds, to supply a sense of reality, to what is otherwise, a fantastical experience that some become lost in. To me, this simulates the experience of coming of age.
Then, when you add things like "ship insurance," it becomes all too real.

ZGGAn7G0nocPtYtz0cOfihTSi_dBETGIoCjkD9-MyFA.jpg

Wow, that's waay too complex to wind down to after a day of paying off my truck.

Picture my game experience on a Cloud Imperium homeworld, holed up in a tiny corner office, plunking away at insurance policies and earning a profit from the currency deviations between planets and principals.

4a547e2a4d0d693247dfdcaa08bb3fa4.jpg

Last edited:
Country
argentina
You know, you say that, but then, instead of making a Lufthansa livery, or developing an airport, someone takes the time to make this, because where it is seen, it is incredibly relevant and more rewarding than developing content, or discussing development, they are yucking it up about everyone's tendency to "fund the project."

Because I'm not a software developer I can't say for certain if the way they are making the game or how they spend the money are right or wrong... I have the basic package and the smallest ship and I can play a lot of content with it...so there is that. I totally want to fly a Space Boeing 747 and carry passenger across Star Systems, but that is not in the game yet...maybe next year.

Ok, but not a "landing sim," because in this video, they are joking about using runways, the same way the last guy joked about not buying ships.

Just seen someone else post about runway landings, here's my attempt from last year.

Landing on capital ships (carriers and frigates) is on the roadmap, so some kind of landing system or space ils are gonna be necessary for the pilots

Many of the images I see are of sweeping vistas, or dramatic, iconographic ships. The fins, antenna, thrusters and weapons of these ships, to me, seem to be arranged to imbue an emotional response, as opposed to a sense of functionality.
Agree...the "rule of cool" are absolute in StarCitizen...form aesthetics over functionality

The flight sequences seem to contain just enough elements of my familiar world, trees and clouds, to supply a sense of reality, to what is otherwise, a fantastical experience that some become lost in. To me, this simulates the experience of coming of age.
Then, when you add things like "ship insurance," it becomes all too real.

Because "immersion" :p

Last edited:

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I agree with the hilarity part, but... I mean, look at all the work they have done, all those resources expended in coding and making the game and not expended on drugs and booze? Worst scam EVER!

Maybe the graphics engine switching is fueled by booze. It always throws them back another two years in the product development cycle.

There's a reason Microsoft wrested control from him when he was making Freelancer, as it would have turned into an early 2000s version of Star Citizen. The man seems to love outrageously grand schemes. I wonder how he got Wing Commander done and on the market in the first place.

But I respect Roberts' ability to sell. I mean he raked in like 200 million $ from idiots all over the planet without a finished product. He even got the project to the point where it's too big to fail and gathered something akin to religious sect around him. Kudos.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Dude, no, Wing Commander OWNED. Pretty sure I cried at the end of the last mission. Tell me those Klirathi didn’t evolve into Chewbacca, but I digress.
Because I'm not a software developer
Ok cool, but this is a developer website...

Country
argentina
Ok cool, but this is a developer website...

Well I considered myself a Modder, but that's very far from a developer... I think.

From idiots all over the planet

Thats offensive. People are funding the game they want. There is nothing wrong with that. I spend $5 on Star Citizen (I won a base package in a giveaway 5 years ago) but the majority of backers spent between 45 and 100 dollars...and there are 2 million of them. No, I think we're not a cult. A cult don't say at loud voice what things are wrong and CIG made A lot of mistakes in almost 7 years of development that they recognized and try to fix in every release. Open development is not a cult.
I have high expectation for this game, but right now I'm having a blast playing the small content avaible and I hope it continues to evolve and grow even more.
Star Citizen is The game we want, nothing more.

Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Well I considered myself a Modder, but that's very far from a developer... I think.
I have to apologize for being unclear, in that my observation about developing was not in regard to the validity of your perspective - and this is the General Chat forum, which should be very open, what I'd intended to express is, that a developer website should probably focus on developer related content, even if it's to say, "hey, MS just developed a new AI engine that completely generates an entire virtual session, based on what's trending on YouTube, so we're all out of a job.." So, while sellers stories like this seem enticing:

"One hundred and forty-six dollars soon arrived in my account, far more than we agreed upon, and nearing twice the original price of the ship. This was setting off all kinds of alarms."
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/exvaaa/i-sold-my-star-citizen-fleet-to-finance-a-new-car

It's a really good story, btw.

There is absolutely no opportunity to create content, without becoming an employee of this Roberts character, which makes it kind of a racket, imo, but I'm a free enterprise zealot. Anyway, this is all tongue in cheek and by all means carry on, but from a developers standpoint, it seems...uninviting.

1477603248823-star_citizen_wide.jpg

Country
argentina
I think this is not only about "the game" but the groundbreaking techology is being made from scratch for such an ambitious project... but again, even if this game never came to reality, think about OTHER games than can beneficie from an engine so powerfull. A Star Wars game with a REAL Death Star where you can fly inside? A Star treek game where all the interior of the Enterprise and it's crew is fully modeled and you can beam people to the surface of unknow, entire planets?
The Tech is awesome and is being funded by people across the globe... so... yeah, I hope for the best with this project.

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
"One hundred and forty-six dollars soon arrived in my account, far more than we agreed upon, and nearing twice the original price of the ship. This was setting off all kinds of alarms."
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/exvaaa/i-sold-my-star-citizen-fleet-to-finance-a-new-car
That was interesting. I was one of the first tranche of backers, simply to get Squadron 42. Nice to know there are unforeseen (good) consequences if I ever decide to boot up the main game.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I think this is not only about "the game" but the groundbreaking techology is being made from scratch for such an ambitious project... but again, even if this game never came to reality, think about OTHER games than can beneficie from an engine so powerfull. A Star Wars game with a REAL Death Star where you can fly inside? A Star treek game where all the interior of the Enterprise and it's crew is fully modeled and you can beam people to the surface of unknow, entire planets?
The Tech is awesome and is being funded by people across the globe... so... yeah, I hope for the best with this project.
Hope is great, but I think you're kind of putting the cart before the horse, backing this particular "technology." We are seeing only the beginning of true AI augmented games and the limits to that potential begin far beyond the domain of gaming. It will be possible for you to walk off the battle of Call of Duty, jump into your Forza Bugatti Chiron, drive over to the spaceport, select a perfect clone of a $27,000 space ship that does not cost $27,000 (why would any virtual object cost as much as a dime, when the AI can whip it up in a flash for, wait for it, virtual peanuts?) and blast off to simulations that are more unique and personal, than I dare to describe here.
So, you won't let me fly my "counterfeit" ship on Stadia? Ok, I'll just VPN myself over to Stadiaski, or wherever, maybe I'll just instruct my AI to simulate Stadia, until Stadia gets their priorities straight. I only choose Stadia as an example, because their advertising model implies seamless transition between gaming platforms.

Very quickly and imo oc, gaming is going to evolve into a contest between your AI and my AI, to provide the most engaging content and when that happens, I want my passions to play out on the highway, or battlefield, or old desert town, or Alpha Centauri, or wherever my addled brain sees it's own personal excellence and on that personal level, I don't want to be constrained to places that are exclusively unEarthlike, nor masterminded by Chris Roberts exclusively, is all I'm saying.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Dude, no, Wing Commander OWNED. Pretty sure I cried at the end of the last mission. Tell me those Klirathi didn’t evolve into Chewbacca, but I digress.

Got part 4 from GoG because I played it when I was young. The custcene movies are fine and dandy, but I just can't get into the mechanics and controls.

I do have to admit that without Wing Commander, there'd be no Freespace, which my favorite space combat sim of them all. Those first few missions in the nebula and the briefings still give me shivers. Too bad the BSG mod never got the amount of missions it deserved.

Thats offensive. People are funding the game they want. There is nothing wrong with that. I spend $5 on Star Citizen (I won a base package in a giveaway 5 years ago) but the majority of backers spent between 45 and 100 dollars...and there are 2 million of them. No, I think we're not a cult. A cult don't say at loud voice what things are wrong and CIG made A lot of mistakes in almost 7 years of development that they recognized and try to fix in every release. Open development is not a cult.
I have high expectation for this game, but right now I'm having a blast playing the small content avaible and I hope it continues to evolve and grow even more.
Star Citizen is The game we want, nothing more.

Some people spent (a good part) of their live savings on this game and ships that only exist as concept art. If that isn't idiocy (as in "very poor decision making"), I don't know what is.
By all means, go on and keep poking CIG when things go wrong. As I've said, the community and SC's development is a great source for a laugh.