• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Package Tool and Steam Version

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
It seems that the Package Tool shipped with the current SDK cannot find the Steam Installation properly and fails. If you have problems then Asobo are working on a fix

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Not getting any sense. Quite a few complaints about it. I guess you are still unable to download the SDK?

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I have the SDK, but the packagetool does not work, so only the in-sim process works. Slows everything down for testing.

Country
poland
Tell me about it (also steam version). The amount of time lost on loading the sim is extreme :| Hope they get the package tool working, that'll cut the waiting time by half pretty much.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Jon. Do you have entries in your windows Environment Variables that relate to MSFS?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I have the SDK, but the packagetool does not work, so only the in-sim process works. Slows everything down for testing.

In what way does it not work. I have it integrated into ADE and it works fine

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
The performance time of the package tool seems to be driven by the time it takes to get the sim into a place where it can accept the input, Having built in compilers is a performance overhead we could do without, Once it is awake then build is quick. I need to test whether the package tool works faster if FS2020 is actually running

Country
us-california
Do you have entries in your windows Environment Variables that relate to MSFS?
env.jpg

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I get this:

Code:
C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\Smiley02>D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\fspackagetool "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\Smiley02\SimpleAerialProject.xml" -outputdir "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\Smiley02" -tempdir "D:\Temp"
Error: Failed to Activate App Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App. hr = 0x80073cf1

It's a simple aerial package that compiles just fine within the sim.
Code:
D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\fspackagetool "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\Smiley02\SimpleAerialProject.xml" -outputdir "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\Smiley02" -tempdir "D:\Temp"

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Looks like it is trying to activate the MS App which I don't think you have with the steam edition. It should be activating the Steam app. Perhaps this is the issue with the SDK for steam users. Have you tried doing this with the in sim editors?

Country
peru
FYI: I have been trying to compile aircraft. I have the Steam release. I get the same error. I can launch the package tool from within the sim, by opening the project and selecting "compile". This adds the loading times into the dev process.

Country
australia
Looks like it is trying to activate the MS App which I don't think you have with the steam edition. It should be activating the Steam app. Perhaps this is the issue with the SDK for steam users. Have you tried doing this with the in sim editors?
One of the devs confirmed the other day that it is indeed opening the MSStore app and are hoping to change that.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
FYI: I have been trying to compile aircraft. I have the Steam release. I get the same error. I can launch the package tool from within the sim, by opening the project and selecting "compile". This adds the loading times into the dev process.

True - but the package tool can spend 30 seconds or so activating the app before it calls the compilers

Country
unitedkingdom
Can someone else test this and see if it works for them?

FlightSimulator.exe -I ";" BuildAssetPackages <path to XML> <temp path> <output path> Force Console

e.g.

FlightSimulator.exe -I ";" BuildAssetPackages "E:\msfs\SimpleAirport\AirportProject.xml" "E:\msfs\SimpleAirport\Tmp" "E:\msfs\SimpleAirport\Output" Force Console

It is not fast, and you will need to click the Steam warning about starting something with weird arguments. But it's still faster than launching the sim outright!

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I tried this after making the TMP and Output folders:

Code:
D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator -I ";" BuildAssetPackages "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\SimpleAerialt\SimpleAerialProject.xml" "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\SimpleAerial\Tmp" "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\SimpleAerial\Output" Force Console

It seems like it's working, and after a bit the program stops, but the TMP and Output folders are empty. Not working.

Country
unitedkingdom
@rhumbaflappy did the Steam alert come up and get clicked on? The spool up time is very slow on that occasionally (before it even launches FS...)

It created tmp and output folders for me... - it should also pop up a console window with the output...

ETA: Interesting... it also seems to not work from cmd, only from powershell -- so I think there's something hokey about the quoting semantics.

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I assume this is to get around the non working package tool?