• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Textures missing in simulator (SOLVED)

Country
us-arizona
Hello all,

Quick thank you to all the people out there helping make all this possible for so many of us, really is appreciated and will be paid forward.

My problem is this, I'm able to get my asset into the sim but can't get textures to show. I've researched and looked all around and haven't found anything showing me to do different than what I'm doing. Albedo is the only texture, I have 4 objects all with separate mats and textures. The texture folder is populated with textures after export from Blender but they're still .png's so not sure if that's my problem. I'm able to build project and place the object in to the sim but no textures show and it has some weird shading issues.

Yohan_Missing_Textures.jpg

Last edited:
Country
italy
I've the same problem! I tryed many methods to solve this but nothing!
Have you even this error into the consolle?
Code:
Failed to convert texture: J:\MSFS SDK\My Project\LGXscenery-TOCTM-ClubUltraleggeriCanavese\PackageSources\modelLib\TEXTURE\TEXTEST.PNG
PackageBuilder | Output path does not exist: J:\MSFS SDK\My Project\LGXscenery-TOCTM-ClubUltraleggeriCanavese\Packages\lgxscenery-itoctm\scenery\global\scenery\TEXTURE\TEXTEST.PNG.DDS
PackageBuilder | Output path does not exist: J:\MSFS SDK\My Project\LGXscenery-TOCTM-ClubUltraleggeriCanavese\Packages\lgxscenery-itoctm\scenery\global\scenery\TEXTURE\TEXTEST.PNG.DDS.json

Country
us-arizona
Figured out the problem I was having and now getting textures to show up. For some reason I had the glTF export settings set to ../texture instead of just "texture" (no quotes) as moving the texture folder into the modelLib folder solved all my issues.

This was done using Blender for baking out the ColorID / Normal / Curvature / AO then plugging all that into Quixel Mixer then exporting with all the channels packed according to sdk. Quick dirty test to get textures in the sim, now it's time to fine tune and learn how to make things look how I want em to look. All source textures are 16bit .png and export settings are shown in the image below.
plane_test_QMixer.jpg plane_test_MSFS2020.jpg

Last edited:
Country
england
Hi there i am having the same problems. I did what you just suggested and it finally compiled a .DDS file.
But now i get a new error.
I dont even know were so start this this one.

testbox is an object i have created in blender to try and import an object into the sim.

1598988529397.png

Country
spain
Im able to see my textures on 3d models, but im unable to create a new material/texture and use it on an apron or polygon, i have been struggling for a week and still with no results.
Im using 8 bits map for albedo and comp (Rougnhess, AO and Metallic in the correct channel) and 16bit map for normal map.

Country
us-arizona
Hi there i am having the same problems. I did what you just suggested and it finally compiled a .DDS file.
But now i get a new error.
I dont even know were so start this this one.

testbox is an object i have created in blender to try and import an object into the sim.

View attachment 61449

Thinking you should start with the .xml file and make sure it's correct. Post the contents of your .xml here so we can take a look.

Im able to see my textures on 3d models, but im unable to create a new material/texture and use it on an apron or polygon, i have been struggling for a week and still with no results.
Im using 8 bits map for albedo and comp (Rougnhess, AO and Metallic in the correct channel) and 16bit map for normal map.
Not sure on this one haven't got that far yet, I'm thinking that you should be able to add a ground poly like any other mesh, just give it the correct attributes in the material settings.

Country
norway
I've the same problem! I tryed many methods to solve this but nothing!
Have you even this error into the consolle?
Code:
Failed to convert texture: J:\MSFS SDK\My Project\LGXscenery-TOCTM-ClubUltraleggeriCanavese\PackageSources\modelLib\TEXTURE\TEXTEST.PNG
PackageBuilder | Output path does not exist: J:\MSFS SDK\My Project\LGXscenery-TOCTM-ClubUltraleggeriCanavese\Packages\lgxscenery-itoctm\scenery\global\scenery\TEXTURE\TEXTEST.PNG.DDS
PackageBuilder | Output path does not exist: J:\MSFS SDK\My Project\LGXscenery-TOCTM-ClubUltraleggeriCanavese\Packages\lgxscenery-itoctm\scenery\global\scenery\TEXTURE\TEXTEST.PNG.DDS.json

Did you figure out this one? I'm having the exact same problem. Just trying to make two simple "runway ahead" signs to put on the ground, but it's failing to convert every time. Been trying to figure this one out for days - but no success...

Country
us-arizona
Did you figure out this one? I'm having the exact same problem. Just trying to make two simple "runway ahead" signs to put on the ground, but it's failing to convert every time. Been trying to figure this one out for days - but no success...
Looks like your texture may not be in the right place, during export from 3ds Max / Blender, where are you telling the textures to be saved to? The default location in Blender export tools is blank and needs a folder location. Assuming you have the textures going into a generic folder and saving .GlTF directly to modelib all you need in the location is "texture" (without quotes) and when exporting it'll put texture files here: YOURPROJECT\PackageSources\modelLib\texture. More than likely you have a problem with the location of the texture folder.
blender2msfsExportSettings.jpg

Country
norway
Looks like your texture may not be in the right place, during export from 3ds Max / Blender, where are you telling the textures to be saved to? The default location in Blender export tools is blank and needs a folder location. Assuming you have the textures going into a generic folder and saving .GlTF directly to modelib all you need in the location is "texture" (without quotes) and when exporting it'll put texture files here: YOURPROJECT\PackageSources\modelLib\texture. More than likely you have a problem with the location of the texture folder.
View attachment 62213
I've tried with both ..\texture and just texture

Folder structure is like this:

PackageSources\modelLib\runway
PackageSources\modelLib\rwy
PackageSources\modelLib\texture
PackageSources\scene

(runway and rwy are two different signs/gitf)

I'm suspecting there might be some issues on how I attached the texture to the Plain in Blender before exporting, but I just can't figure it out.

Attachments

• ENXX.zip
    223.8 KB · Views: 237
Your structure looks similar to what works for me, except that I only use one object folder for all my models.

Country
us-arizona
I've tried with both ..\texture and just texture

Folder structure is like this:

PackageSources\modelLib\runway
PackageSources\modelLib\rwy
PackageSources\modelLib\texture
PackageSources\scene

(runway and rwy are two different signs/gitf)

I'm suspecting there might be some issues on how I attached the texture to the Plain in Blender before exporting, but I just can't figure it out.
All files being exported need to be the same name as the .gltf, I noticed you have the .xml different than the .gltf and .bin files in both examples. Simply change the name of your .xml to match that of the .gltf and .bin and all should work. Let me know if that does it for you.

Last edited:
Country
norway
I tried putting both objects in the same folder, and saved with same names for all files - but still no success.

I'm not sure if anything has to be added in the Texture maps in Blender, but I added the same image in the Normal just to be sure.

Code:
PackageBuilder | Reading C:\Users\frank\Desktop\Project\ENXX\ENXX.xml...
PackageBuilder | Preparing asset groups...
PackageBuilder | Done, 4 asset groups registered.
PackageBuilder | Generating commands for package enxx...
PackageBuilder | Preparing commands for asset group ContentInfo...
PackageBuilder | Preparing commands for asset group myscene...
PackageBuilder | Preparing commands for asset group mymodellib...
tinygltf: "nodes" object not found in .gltf
glTFLister | Failed to load model: 'C:\Users\frank\Desktop\Project\ENXX\PackageSources\modelLib\runway\runway.gltf'.
ModelLibLister | Failed to spawn the gltfLister for input file C:\Users\frank\Desktop\Project\ENXX\PackageSources\modelLib\
PackageBuilder | Failed to spawn lister for asset group mymodellib (type ArtProj)
PackageBuilder | Ready, 1 commands added.
PackageBuilder | Starting the build...
PackageBuilder | Building assets for the package enxx...
PackageBuilder | Reloading assets for the package enxx...
PackageBuilder | Finished, 1 skipped, 0 done and 1 failed, took 0s010ms.
? false returned by Command=BuildPackages Comment=Rebuild the packages whose name correspond to the given filter, and for the given project (default fs-project.xml) NbParam=2 Line=BuildPackages enxx * "C:\Users\frank\Desktop\Project\ENXX\ENXX.xml" "C:\Users\frank\Desktop\Project\ENXX" 1
PackageBuilder | Done, 4 asset groups registered.
Failed to find asset group where the given path is located
Failed to find asset group where the given path is located
PackageBuilder | Partial build : nothing to do

Attachments

• ENXX.zip
    677.5 KB · Views: 196
Country
us-arizona
Currently at work and can't test in sim, not sure why it's not working now. Thinking there might be something wrong with your folder structure or the contents of it. Will try to take a closer look when I get home in about 6 hrs.

Country
us-arizona
The problem is the texture and I'm kicking myself for the time I've spent, a total brain-fart on my part. Make your texture for the Albedo RGB only (no alpha unless transparent texture) for opaque and in divisions of 2. All textures need to follow a format similar to these examples: 512x512 / 1024x1024 / 512 x 1024 / 2048x2048 / 4096x4096 etc... your texture is 500x125 and that will throw those errors every time :p

Try this at 512x128 enxx_runway_ahead.png

Last edited:
Country
norway
The problem is the texture and I'm kicking myself for the time I've spent, a total brain-fart on my part. Make your texture for the Albedo RGB only (no alpha unless transparent texture) for opaque and in divisions of 2. All textures need to follow a format similar to these examples: 512x512 / 1024x1024 / 512 x 1024 / 2048x2048 / 4096x4096 etc... your texture is 500x125 and that will throw those errors every time :p

Try this at 512x128 View attachment 62256

You saved my week... Thank you so much. You've no idea how much hair I've lost because of this :D

I owe you one...

Microsoft Flight Simulator 19.09.2020 19.09.46.png

Country
ca-ontario
Bump this topic because it is relevant for SDK 17 and 18. Move texture folder inside a model folder