• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS [GUIDE] Converting Aircraft from FSX to MSFS

Country
russia
what about MSFS variables that missing in FSX, is some dynamic calculation will be applied in case of FSX2MSFS conversion? or they stay as is

Country
spain
what about MSFS variables that missing in FSX, is some dynamic calculation will be applied in case of FSX2MSFS conversion? or they stay as is
Yup, good question. I still need to understand the reason why some of these variables are in there. For example, you have the typical 150x tables relating CN1, CN2, FF, etc. Having all that data in these tables, why would you need variables like MAX_N2, MAX_N1, etc.?

In my case, I will leave them as they are but there has to be a lot more investigation on what they do and how they perform.

Country
australia
Hey, sorry for the delay coming back. I am working on the Asobo/ Legacy model converter and its taken most of my free time.

Attached please find an Excel file with all the correlations between Asobo's CFG file structure and the Legacy cfg/.air files. Each sheet corresponds to an Asobo .cfg file: in red you'll have variables that correspond to legacy "aircraft.cfg" file and in blue to variables corresponding to ".air" file. The aircraft.cfg variables maintain both Section and Key names (i.e. [AIRPLANE_GEOMETRY] section and "wing_area" key are the same , both in Asobo and Legacy cfg files).

Regarding the .Air file, I have included also an additional (Template AIR) sheet with the correlation between Asobo variables and .air variables.

Hope this helps everyone and, if you find any inconsistencies or mistakes (which I am sure you might), please let us all know.

In the next couple of days I should have the tool ready. It transforms Asobo files to Legacy ones, and viceversa.

Best!
Thanks Taz I'll use this to update the Google Sheet I shared earlier :) In case anyone missed it you can find it here:

Country
spain
Thanks Taz I'll use this to update the Google Sheet I shared earlier :) In case anyone missed it you can find it here:
Thanks Oz. Didn’t have the time to do so myself.

Country
unitedstates
Thanks for all this great info. I have one misunderstanding I think. Working on the airfile it says after all is done discard /remove airfile-For each TBLDB and REC in the AIR file, refer to the master list and the above process to update all of your records. Once you have completed this process, you can safely delete your AIR file (or move it somewhere safe outside of your package). I thought I did it correctly, any explanation would be great.
Thanks

Country
unitedstates
It's under Options - General - Flight Model

(Also, I didn't create any of the other .cfg files — only aircraft.cfg was created/updated, and I converted the textures via the ImageTools option in the Textures tab. Once the other .cfg files are created, that's when things get tricky...)
Where is this Options, ingame or a cfg?

Country
unitedstates
Where is this Options, ingame or a cfg?
Thanks, the 1st one I did got messed up as I forgot those ":" at the end and must have missed some as plane crashed and I deleted the whole thing. I've been using the Legacy importer and planes load but some engines want start or brakes are locked. Just working the aircraft.cfg would help this, worth a try??

Country
russia
Thanks, the 1st one I did got messed up as I forgot those ":" at the end and must have missed some as plane crashed and I deleted the whole thing. I've been using the Legacy importer and planes load but some engines want start or brakes are locked. Just working the aircraft.cfg would help this, worth a try??
when you don't split aircraft.cfg, plane will be treated as legacy (some built in functions will make it flyable in new environment) and in most cases you will not experience dramatic engines issues. once you split cfg - you have to go to the end - import AIR as well and enable/adjust all missing engine and flight model values, and most important - build FLT files. Problem that complicated importing process mixing with game bugs which makes final result not so exciting as you expect.

Last edited:
Country
us-georgia
So is it possible to convert a heli from fsx to msfs2020 yet?

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Country
unitedstates
Here is my next question. Been trying to convert a B-52 and all I get is a plane that comes in and loads in 2020 but can't see the plane. I read that if it has a MDL8MDLH in the mdl file it will not work.; of coarse every B-52 I check has the 8.
Does that mean it is a FS9 conversion?
Can that 8 be changed to X so it will work?
Thanks

Last edited:
Country
malaysia
Here is my next question. Been trying to convert a B-52 and all I get is a plane that comes in and loads in 2020 but can't see the plane. I read that if it has a MDL8MDLH in the mdl file it will not work.; of coarse every B-52 I check has the 8.
Thanks
Hi @jterr , you may refer this link http://www.calclassic.com/convert_tutorial/ for FS9 to FSX conversion, i managed to convert prop plane to FSX, and yes can be use in MSFS.

Country
malaysia
Yes, it will change from 8 to X, you can try simple conversion, just import fs9 aircraft model, and export out as fsx model (MDL), check the model with notepad it will show MDLXMDLH,

the guide in that link is to correct animation and texture to make sure it display correctly in FSX, else flap, propeller will not show or animate properly in FSX.

Country
unitedstates
Do I still need the FSX SDK installed or will Plane converter do it? I'm haveing all kind of trouble getting FSX in ths PC. I used the SDK before in FSX. So I did a install after hours of trying to get all fsx files out it took my key , but now it want install the Expansion pack. .Almost thinkin of reverting back to Windows 7

Country
malaysia
@jterr you may download P3D 1.4 SDK, compatible with FSX, once your model is native FSX then you can use legacy converter for FS2020

Country
unitedstates
OK I got most of this in my head, but the Texture is not working.I'm doing something wrong and just not sure what. Everytime I try messing with the textures the Sim crashes and have to start over and we all know what a BIA that is...o_O

Country
unitedstates
I'm trying to figure out how to fix the white wheels and parts on some of the conversions
Screen Shot 10-10-20 at 09.05 PM.JPG

Country
unitedstates
This is giving me another problem in the Plane converter. If I don't correct(I can't find info on how) it sends the flaps to front of wing. Can anyone explain how to ???

Attachments

• Screen Shot 10-16-20 at 09.55 AM.JPG
    Screen Shot 10-16-20 at 09.55 AM.JPG
    914.2 KB · Views: 180
  • Screen Shot 10-15-20 at 09.16 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 10-15-20 at 09.16 PM.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 173
Country
unitedstates
I'm trying to figure out how to fix the white wheels and parts on some of the conversions
White = a 'baked in' material encoded in the model OR an incompatible or missing texture file. In this case it certainly looks like a problem with the texture file. Make sure your layout.json is updated (if a texture is not included there the game will not find it), check from any texture fallbacks that aren't set up correctly, and make sure the texture file for those parts is the correct format (32 bit bmp or DDS DXT 5).

This is giving me another problem in the Plane converter. If I don't correct(I can't find info on how) it sends the flaps to front of wing. Can anyone explain how to ???
This is what happens when you convert an FS2004 model to FSX but don't reassign the animations properly - the parts collapse to 0,0. You will need to start from the FS2004 model again and reassign or fix any animations highlighted in red before exporting.