• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Blender Can anyone recommend a good Blender (2.8 or 2.9) / Photoshop tutorial for texturing?

Country
unitedstates
I was doing REAL good with texturing and Blender 2.79, but now I'm attempting to (re-)learn Blender 2.9. I'm having a LOT of difficulty understanding how to texture our models and especially ones that have alpha maps so we can see through stuff like railings, support beams etc. I can successfully import my 2.79 models into 2.9, and I'm (sort of) getting the hang of texturing, but need a little direction. (Sheesh! I first built them in Gmax, then had to learn Blender 2.7x, now Blender 2.9. LOL!)

If anyone can recommend a good YouTube tutorial or website that can guide me through it then I'll test the theory that "you can't teach an old dog new tricks".

Thanks!

TB2

Country
australia
gday. it's a bit of a trick because tutors are still catching up
to 2.9.
you will find 2.8[3] similar to 2.9. look for things made within
the past year. these 2 videos will reorient you to the new
interface and help you realize your old understanding is good
though it needs to be updated.

with a bit of thinking you should be able to transfer
Bill Womack's great series to 2.9

the latest Blender2FSX works in 2.9.

Where everything is in Blender 2.8

Scene Texturing

Scenery Training Tutorials

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Thanks approxdec. I've been following "Blender Guru's" tutorials and done well with them, but when it comes to what we need for FSX / P3D / MSFS (which I haven't begun to explore yet) they all seem to lack the specific things I need to know. I'm hoping (still) that someone has done a video series which uses Blender 2.8 or 9 as it is SO much easier for me to replicate what they do and utilize or modify it for my needs. I also was following Bill Womack's excellent series, but he started them with 2.79. I asked him if he would re-do them for 2.9, but doubt he will. I still have 2.79 and 2.8 on my system, so I was attempting to follow his instruction side by side and did well with them comparing the two until I get to the texturing part. Some of the nomenclatures(?) or the names of the specific items in the steps have changed or been removed altogether and I cannot find it's equivalent. Texturing in 2.79 and below was so much easier, but I'll have to adapt.

I'll keep plugging away and seeing what I can do. Perhaps I'll be the one making the tutorial on how to do it. (LOL! Not likely!)

TB2

Country
senegal
Thanks approxdec. I've been following "Blender Guru's" tutorials and done well with them, but when it comes to what we need for FSX / P3D / MSFS (which I haven't begun to explore yet) they all seem to lack the specific things I need to know. I'm hoping (still) that someone has done a video series which uses Blender 2.8 or 9 as it is SO much easier for me to replicate what they do and utilize or modify it for my needs. I also was following Bill Womack's excellent series, but he started them with 2.79. I asked him if he would re-do them for 2.9, but doubt he will. I still have 2.79 and 2.8 on my system, so I was attempting to follow his instruction side by side and did well with them comparing the two until I get to the texturing part. Some of the nomenclatures(?) or the names of the specific items in the steps have changed or been removed altogether and I cannot find it's equivalent. Texturing in 2.79 and below was so much easier, but I'll have to adapt.

I'll keep plugging away and seeing what I can do. Perhaps I'll be the one making the tutorial on how to do it. (LOL! Not likely!)

TB2
Hello,
What kind of objects are you trying to make? I suggest using the keyboard shortcut list provided by Blender Guru to help you model things faster. Also there are a lot of addons that helps you get faster with modeling such as buildng tools and Magic UVs. I would do some tutorials step by step when I have some time but I'll probably be video tutorials. I myself just recently started using Blender but I have a decade of experience with 3ds max so it only took me a few days to get used to it.

Regards,

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Creating the models isn’t an issue. I’ve created many hangars, buildings and other items and fully understand Blender for that. I’m trying to learn the texturing aspect of the latest Blender.

I’ve corrected the title of this post to focus on the texturing need.

TB2

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello TB

I suggest looking at tutorials for v2.80+ on materials and uv unwrapping. That should get you going.

Country
unitedstates
Thanks Doug for the suggestion, I have looked and have been playing with models and things with YouTube tutorials, but is that enough for FSX / P3D / MSFS? Are there any unique or special texturing considerations for those simulators that are not addressed in (just any) texturing tutorial? Can all or any of those simulators handle all of the (new?) parameters of texturing offered by Blender? Example, if I change "Roughness" to have more or less reflection in my model, is that parameter transferred into my model when exported to the simulator? I think these are the types of questions that I have, (along with many others!). I am having a difficult time wrapping my head around the new way of doing things and I don't want to waste time, and "training" to find specific tricks have no function in any of the sims.

As always, thank you for what you do!

TB2

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello

When using the either of the toolkits, you will not be using any the parameters outside the toolset, only within toolset. The materials you will be using or applying though.

I wish there was a way to simplify it for you, but if you have any follow up questions, just ask.

Country
unitedstates
Thank you for the quick reply, and I don't want to be a pest, but if I understand you correctly, even if I go through the texturing as outlined in (some) tutorials where it gets real involved, and I can add all kinds of "layers" (for the lack of a better term) and tricks to make it look awesome it may not matter because if the toolset does not support it, it won't transfer over. Is this correct? If so, that is what I'm referring to when I say I don't want to invest a lot of time, talent and learning on something that isn't supported on the toolset. I would rather find a Blender texturing to flight sim tutorial but I understand one may not exist yet. But exactly what is supported by the toolset? Is that on a WIKI somewhere?

Thanks, and always, a great team, software and support! Couldn't do it without "ya'll".

TB2

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I assume you’re coming from a cgi background where you use the render engine in Blender to skin your models. MSFS doesn’t use Blender’s render settings for materials, it only uses materials as specified in the sdk, which in modern cgi terms is sooo last year, dude. There is support for PBR as well as the FSX-style diffuse, specular etc methods using texture maps, but you’ll need to read that up.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
I assume you’re coming from a cgi background where you use the render engine in Blender to skin your models. MSFS doesn’t use Blender’s render settings for materials, it only uses materials as specified in the sdk, which in modern cgi terms is sooo last year, dude. There is support for PBR as well as the FSX-style diffuse, specular etc methods using texture maps, but you’ll need to read that up.
That is not completely accurate. Rendering the models (using the parameters outside of Toolkit) can be useful when verifying textures and when baking the textures (such as the diffuse and others, even for FSX or FSX: SE). Textures can be placed within the UV map when using Blender (adjusting them through the parameters that are outside of the Toolkit). From there, you would bake them based on those parameters. Or, You can use the painting module within Blender (best, when a pressure tablet device is used). There isn't much of a difference between using Photoshop and GIMP or using Blender (except for the internal parameters within Blender to adjust them).

It being soo last year, well... that depends on someone's point of view (that's like saying FSX or FSX: SE isn't worth developing for anymore). If it gets the desire results then why not. :)

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Thank you for the quick reply, and I don't want to be a pest, but if I understand you correctly, even if I go through the texturing as outlined in (some) tutorials where it gets real involved, and I can add all kinds of "layers" (for the lack of a better term) and tricks to make it look awesome it may not matter because if the toolset does not support it, it won't transfer over. Is this correct? If so, that is what I'm referring to when I say I don't want to invest a lot of time, talent and learning on something that isn't supported on the toolset. I would rather find a Blender texturing to flight sim tutorial but I understand one may not exist yet. But exactly what is supported by the toolset? Is that on a WIKI somewhere?

Thanks, and always, a great team, software and support! Couldn't do it without "ya'll".

TB2
If you are strictly using Photoshop (or GIMP) in creating your textures then "yes.", that would be correct. If you are using the baking functions within Blender then the parameters outside the Toolset can be used. The wiki is a good place to start but by no means is the "end all; be all" or Bible. There are some tricks here and there that the wiki doesn't touch on. As for a tutorial ever being produced, there might be, but it still will not cover the game engine aspect of creating models for FS or any of the other Sims. The Tutorials that are currently out there only covers the many functions that Blender can do (such as the UV unwrapping and materials). With those, it still doesn't cover how to extract the UV layout to use in Photoshop (or GIMP). Which, by the way, is through the UV Editing tab and the UV tab.

Country
unitedstates
Yea, I knew it would be "as clear as mud" LOL! That's why I crave a video tut on how to do it. I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks. I need a step by step way to adding textures to my models and then exporting into flight sim. Doug, you're right on target and my frustration(?) comes from the myriad of videos on how to texture a model, but nothing (yet) specifically for FSX / P3D. I can already build them really good AND I have successfully exported them also into FSX / P3D4&5 using Blender 2.79, but again, I'm trying to learn Blender 2.8 / 2.9. The "devils" in the details "they" always say, and texturing is where the models come to life. Any chance to improve on that is a bonus!

As far as how I "used" to do it, was simply UV mapping onto the model in Blender then exporting it. I used to use Paint Shop Pro, now Photoshop. I have not "baked", (wasn't sure what that was until recently), nor have I done anything other than apply the texture to the model in UV Mapping then exporting. They always came out pretty good (in my opinion) and some of them are very detailed with struts for rafters (using alpha channels to show ONLY the rafters...) etc. I know the world is evolving, and I want to evolve with it. (Speaking of that, is there any advantage to PBR on buildings / hangars?)

I'll keep experimenting and learning. At my age, if I stop for awhile (several weeks) I tend to forget the simple stuff, so the complicated stuff is even more so. UV mapping was easy and straightforward once you get the hang of it. ALL of my models are unique and built from "scratch". I do not copy other buildings nor textures so I have a good understanding of Blender and Photoshop. Again, it's the new texturing techniques in Blender that have me stumped. I recently watched a "one minute to make rocks" tutorial. 2/3 of it was just the texturing!

TB2

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Yea, I knew it would be "as clear as mud" LOL! That's why I crave a video tut on how to do it. I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks. I need a step by step way to adding textures to my models and then exporting into flight sim. Doug, you're right on target and my frustration(?) comes from the myriad of videos on how to texture a model, but nothing (yet) specifically for FSX / P3D. I can already build them really good AND I have successfully exported them also into FSX / P3D4&5 using Blender 2.79, but again, I'm trying to learn Blender 2.8 / 2.9. The "devils" in the details "they" always say, and texturing is where the models come to life. Any chance to improve on that is a bonus!

If you have already exported, etc into FSX /P3D, then you have tackled that part. Improving the models along with texture creation is key for you at this time. The differences between the previous versions and the current version of Blender (besides the look of) is basically the location of certain functions. After a while, it can be 2nd nature. It took me a while to adjust to the changes as well.

As far as how I "used" to do it, was simply UV mapping onto the model in Blender then exporting it. I used to use Paint Shop Pro, now Photoshop. I have not "baked", (wasn't sure what that was until recently), nor have I done anything other than apply the texture to the model in UV Mapping then exporting. They always came out pretty good (in my opinion) and some of them are very detailed with struts for rafters (using alpha channels to show ONLY the rafters...) etc. I know the world is evolving, and I want to evolve with it. (Speaking of that, is there any advantage to PBR on buildings / hangars?)

Sounds like you are a lot farther along than you think, lol. To answer your question on the advantages of PBR, I can only suggest more reading for you. LOL. A lot of people have asked the very same question and to be honest, it really comes down to their meaning of "advantages of". For instance, "are PBRs easy to create?", "I don't understand them.", "I'm not sure they are necessary, so why should I bother?", or "should I use PBRs on simple buildings or hangars?". This really depends on what you, the developer wants. This is really like, "Should I use Normal/ Bumps maps or not?". There are advantages to each workflow, Specular, and PBR. If they are done correctly, there should not be any or very little difference between the 2 of them. Also, comes down to the shader used within the Sim, which one has been better designed or programmed within (I'm not speculating or suggesting which has been either. :) )

The tutorials/ articles that I have been giving people to read are:

"Theory of Physically Based Rendering" By Jeff Russell. Dry reading to some but explains what PBRs are.
"Physically-Based Rendering And You Can Too!" By Joe Wilson.
"PBR Texture Conversion" By Joe Wilson.

These tutorials/ articles go far beyond what FS or the Sim expects. They will use maps or textures that FS or the Sim developer may know by another name or don't use but explains the use of very well.

EDIT: PBRs can be done through a number of applications, such as Quixel (pay), Substance Painter (Pay), Materialize v1.78 (Free), and ArmorPaint (Pay)

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Thanks Doug. Thanks for the encouragement! I even forgot about bump maps! That would help I suppose on a building with corrugated sides or other protrusions. I'm more into building hangars now and was wondering if PBR makes them even more realistic. Guess I'll be spending time experimenting, (once I get the hang of it!).

Thanks again!