• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Animation issues

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Because of the large scale of the 3-D model. How do you import the file into Blender, via drag and drop, or via the Blender import menu?

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
FYI: I got my skinned mesh animation working fine, too.
The only thing worth noting is that the mesh object should not be the child of another object in the scene and make sure that "Apply Modifiers" is not checked when exporting the model - it'll apply the armature modifier and thus removing the animations.

Country
italy
So I tried, both with your model and another couple of models from around the web. The solution SEEMS to be different every time so I think it could be some issue with animation exporting. I'ma try with an old (2k17) 3DSMax, which I know nothing about, but let's see :stirthepo
Wish me the best :D :D :D

Because of the large scale of the 3-D model. How do you import the file into Blender, via drag and drop, or via the Blender import menu?
Import menu as always. Scale is a thing I don't really understand fully since scale is applied and Blender says the model is 1.63m and armature is too :D

The only thing worth noting is that the mesh object should not be the child of another object in the scene and make sure that "Apply Modifiers" is not checked when exporting the model - it'll apply the armature modifier and thus removing the animations.

Thanks! message wasn't loaded when I first answered!

I'ma check the hierarchies and see what happens, hoping for the best...

Last edited:

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Scale is a thing I don't really understand fully since scale is applied and Blender says the model is 1.63m and armature is too
This could be an indication that centimeters instead of meters is the default unit. Perhaps that is why the figure is depicted as an object 163 meters tall. Blender can possibly be switched from centimeters to meters? Maybe you try a value of Scale = 0.1

Country
peru
edit: disregard

I managed to get it working but the animation itself inside the simulator shows some bugs , when building the package I get a message saying that some nodes of the armature have a non uniform scale , yet in blender I have reset all object and armatures to 1.00 and the problem still shows

given the amount of hours I have spent on this Im starting to think this is a problem with the exporter itself

Last edited:
Country
germany
For me it was the other way round, my mesh was completely distorted by the animation in the sim although it worked fine within blender. What helped was making the whole group (armature, mesh, animation) a child of an empty like mikea.at suggested in his animated windsock thread. This led to the animation being exported correctly into MSFS.

Country
italy
Dude, if this works you're a life saver. You and mostly @Mikea.at! <3

Now, how did you guys got to it? Thinking about it now I saw that default ASOBO animations are exported separately as bones with a parented empty. Is that the right way to export animations? And how is that achieved with blender?

Country
germany
To be clear, up until now I only managed to export a scenery object with a looping animation, exporting a sim object with triggered animations is much more complicated and I failed several times. A simple animated scenery object doesn't need its animation to be exported separately, there is a good tutorial by Flying Theston on YouTube.

Country
italy
To be clear, up until now I only managed to export a scenery object with a looping animation, exporting a sim object with triggered animations is much more complicated and I failed several times. A simple animated scenery object doesn't need its animation to be exported separately, there is a good tutorial by Flying Theston on YouTube.
That tutorial is almost useless for Rigged objects. So no need to point that out, the issues explained here (mesh deformation, T-Posing deformtion and such) are something which is stricly rig-related :)

Country
germany
The basic export process and xml editing for the animation to show is largely the same, the only difference I'm aware of is the strict object hierarchy for rigged objects. Mesh child of armature, armature child of empty. I'll try again this evening and write back.

Country
canada
For me it was the other way round, my mesh was completely distorted by the animation in the sim although it worked fine within blender. What helped was making the whole group (armature, mesh, animation) a child of an empty like mikea.at suggested in his animated windsock thread. This led to the animation being exported correctly into MSFS.
Can you point me to this thread? I can't find it for some reason...

Country
germany
Can you point me to this thread? I can't find it for some reason...

See my questions to mikea.at below the tutorial, starts around post #10

Country
canada

See my questions to mikea.at below the tutorial, starts around post #10
Thanks. I tried parenting the whole thing to an empty, and it didn't' change anything at all :-(