• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MDL size 0 byte

Country
germany
Arno,

with the latest build (2009-01-25 21:56) all MDL files are created with 0 bytes when converting APIs. Any idea? The same APIs worked before.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Martin,

When you look in the event log, what are the messages that XtoMDL reports on compilation?

Country
germany
Hi Arno,

that is what it is saying:

Code:
00:34	XtoMDL	Information	OutputFile: ...\Output\BGACTR11.MDL
00:34	XtoMDL	Information	Output file after modification: ...\Output\BGACTR11.MDL
00:34	XtoMDL	Information	Creating output MDL file: ...\Output\BGACTR11.MDL
00:34	XtoMDL	Information	CRASHTREE no granularity specified
00:34	XtoMDL	Information	CRASHTREE completed in 00:00:00.0312500
00:34	XtoMDL	Information	Usage: XToMDL.exe /KEEP /NOGUI /BATCH /NOCRASH /BMP2DDS /XMLSAMPLE /XANIM /DICT:DictFileName /OUT:OutfileName Filename.X
00:34	MDLXWriter	Information	Finished writing of file ...\Output\BGACTR11.MDL

I have reduced the path so that it is better readable. The usage comment makes me wonder... But everything is information, not warning.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
It seems like XtoMDL is not called correctly (you get the usage information), what was the exact name you tried to export with? Did it maybe contain a space or so? I'll check if that can give trouble.

Country
germany
To be sure that this is not related to spaces and path issues I move everything to a folder directly above root. But it does not change a thing - all converted files end up with a 0 byte MDL. It has always worked before with the space in the path, anyway.

Attached is one x file if you want to have a look at it.

Any idea what else I might try, Arno?

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Martin,

Here that X file compiles fine. Did you try to manually compile it with XtoMDL? I am trying to figure out where the problem is.

Country
germany
Arno,

would that be:

XToMDL.exe /KEEP /NOGUI /BATCH /NOCRASH /BMP2DDS /XMLSAMPLE /XANIM /DICT:<path to the xml file> /OUT:<mdl file name> <x file name>.X

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Martin,

For a simple object I always use:

Code:
XtoMDL.exe myfile.x

It there is an animation I use:

Code:
XtoMDL.exe /xanim myfile.x

Country
germany
I copied above x-file (I start to wonder if there is more to that name) into the SDK folder where XToMDL.exe resides and tried to compile from the command prompt. Result: MDL file created with 0 bytes and the usage message like in your log. Should I reinstall the SDK?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Martin,

That is quite weird. Did you change anything to your PC recently that could affect XtoMDL?

As the X file compiles here fine, I think it must be something on your machine and not with the file. But now we have to figure out what is.

The message from XtoMDL does not really tell you much, so it does not provide a clue where things go wrong. Did you check already that the dot is your decimal character (just to be sure)?

Country
germany
Holy :banghead: - not again ....

Sure thing, it is the comma delimiter. I am positive that I did not change any of my regional settings recently. But maybe one of the last MS Hotfixes did reset the regional settings to their default? I am not even sure if I had defined the point as the delimiter in the first place. I only know that it was working about 10 days ago.

Can you implement something that the regional delimiter is honored, Arno? I know from the ADE developement that this will come back over and over again when you least expect it.

Thanks for bringing me back to work, Arno :)

Country
germany
Arno,

Although I am back in business after I have changed the decimal delimiter, I still see some MDL files with 0 bytes. In all cases they are accompanied by an XANIM file. In the error log I see "System.Xml.XmlException: Beim Analysieren von 'EntityName' ist ein Fehler aufgetreten" (all 14 cases).

Is there still something mis-configuered at my site? I have attached one of the affected APIs?

Attachments

• BGACTR11.zip
    6.7 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Martin,

Can you implement something that the regional delimiter is honored, Arno? I know from the ADE developement that this will come back over and over again when you least expect it.

Do you mean Jon added something special to ADE for this? Then I should have a chat with him :).

I looked at it before, but did not find a way to force from a tool that the decimal character is a dot. For the X file I generate I make sure no commas are written, even if you have that as your decimal character. But it is just that XtoMDL refuses to do its work when the dot is not the decimal character.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Martin,

Although I am back in business after I have changed the decimal delimiter, I still see some MDL files with 0 bytes. In all cases they are accompanied by an XANIM file. In the error log I see "System.Xml.XmlException: Beim Analysieren von 'EntityName' ist ein Fehler aufgetreten" (all 14 cases).

Is there still something mis-configuered at my site? I have attached one of the affected APIs?

I can export that API object here without trouble and I get a MDL that is bigger than 0 kB. I did notice that the XANIM file did not contain a name for the animation type in some cases. I fixed that bug now, so maybe you can try again with the last build tomorrow?

Country
germany
Hi Martin,

I can export that API object here without trouble and I get a MDL that is bigger than 0 kB. I did notice that the XANIM file did not contain a name for the animation type in some cases. I fixed that bug now, so maybe you can try again with the last build tomorrow?

Will do (the testing). And yes, have a chat with Jon about our very long decimal-delimiter-relationship, dating back to pre-FSX times :D
The error message about the EntityName exception tells you nothing, then?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Will do (the testing). And yes, have a chat with Jon about our very long decimal-delimiter-relationship, dating back to pre-FSX times :D
The error message about the EntityName exception tells you nothing, then?

No, EntityName does not ring a bell for me. I think it must be an internal MSXML error or so.

Those decimal-delimiters are also hunting me since I started making tools for other developers. They always give trouble, because usually you only test on the setting you run yourself and not on both. I will talk with Jon and see if he has some good suggestions.

Country
germany
I can export that API object here without trouble and I get a MDL that is bigger than 0 kB.

Just to make sure that you have the exact error message from the log file:

Code:
20:39	XtoMDL	Information	(0): error : System.Xml.XmlException: Beim Analysieren von 'EntityName' ist ein Fehler aufgetreten. Zeile 10200, Position 58.
20:39	XtoMDL	Information	(0): error :    bei System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
20:39	XtoMDL	Information	(0): error :    bei System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg)
20:39	XtoMDL	Information	(0): error :    bei System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseEntityName()
20:39	XtoMDL	Information	(0): error :    bei System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributeValueSlow(Int32 curPos, Char quoteChar, NodeData attr)
20:39	XtoMDL	Information	(0): error :    bei System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributes()
20:39	XtoMDL	Information	(0): error :    bei System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement()
20:39	XtoMDL	Information	(0): error :    bei System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
20:39	XtoMDL	Information	(0): error :    bei System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
20:39	XtoMDL	Information	(0): error :    bei System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
20:39	XtoMDL	Information	(0): error :    bei Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XmlToMdlLib.MDLProcessor.LoadFile(Stream InputStream, XPartDict PartDictionary)
20:39	XtoMDL	Information	(0): error :    bei Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XmlToMdlLib.XmlToMdlLib.Process(Guid& ModelGuid, Stream AnimationData)
20:39	XtoMDL	Information	(0): error :    bei Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.ProcessInputs()
20:39	XtoMDL	Information	(0): error :    bei Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.RealMain(String[] args)
20:39	XtoMDL	Information	(0): error :    bei Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.Main(String[] args)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Martin,

OK. I just put a new build on the server (same address as always). It fixes some bugs in the XANIM file. Maybe that will help you, although it is surprising that I can compile here without trouble. Let me know if it helps.