• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

SDK SDK help, not able to save more than 1 polygon

Country
us-delaware
I had posted this before but it was deleted because I accidentally posted it twice.

I am trying to figure out the sdk and create modifications to an simple airport. The airport is W95 on Ocracoke island. The steps I have taken are not working as for some reason the polygon files for smaller trees etc do NOT show up.

I have opened MS2020 and chose the W95 airport as departure. I have enabled the developer tools. Once the sim loads up I go and pause the simulation and go to developer camera.
I go to Devtools > new project > I point the project to the following folder I created
Fs2020 airport updates > w95-airport-update >
It ask to add a new package. I named the package w95-airport-update.
I then save the project.

This creates the following folders inside
_Packageint
PackageDefinitions
PackageSources
w95-airport-update (xml)

Back in the sim and sdk
I click on the letters BGL in green in the project editor window. Then click on load in editor button in the inspector window.
This opens up the scenery editor. In the objects window I chose polygon and draw my polygon around the airport bounds. I chose 0 vegetation etc and name the polygon w95-airport-exc-poly.

Back in the scenery editor window it updates to show the polygon. I click save scenery.
(This next part is where I get lost as it seems to differ based on the type of project)
I save my polygon shape file to the following folder and give it the same name w95-airport-exp-poly.

Folder location
w95-airport-update > PackageSources > William-airport-w95-ocracoke > sceneries

I then create several more polygons to change the height of trees on the glide slope.

These files are named
w95-small-trees-north-poly
W95-small-trees-south-poly

You can see that the polygons are different names and not the same as the airport polygon. When I click on save scenery it simply goes green. I never get asked for another location or name.

When I check the folder these polygons are NEVER created and I can not find them in any other folder.

I am hoping someone can help with this problem. I stop at this point as I simply will waste more and more time building the airport and losing it all.

Anyone have similar problems or a solution to this.
I also noticed that under my project tab I can no longer click SAVE it is greyed out completely.

I'm not sure if the new polygons will ONLY show when the project is built or not. I do know that if I close the project and open it again those polygons will be missing.

Thank you for any help.
Bill

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Ok well, my ground polygons do not show up, until I first build my package and then click "load this asset group" in the scenery editor. Now I will accept that the build operation, possibly, is only necessary to get my model objects to render, but I don't think we can create ground polygons by simply defining their dimensions and then saving the project. When you "save," you are saving object placements, changes in your asset group definitions, things like this, that are essentially information. All other software that creates polygons, that I know of, MCX and ADE, must compile them, which, to my understanding, is analogous to the build operation.

So it sounds like you are defining your polygons, but never building them, is that correct and if so, has this worked? Can you complete even the one single poly you mention, place that into the community folder and see it's effect in sim?

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I would use Google Drive or OneDrive to link to an example project. Pretty hard to understand your problem if we can't test it.

Country
italy
I chose 0 vegetation etc and name the polygon w95-airport-exc-poly.
I save my polygon shape file to the following folder and give it the same name w95-airport-exp-poly.

Folder location
w95-airport-update > PackageSources > William-airport-w95-ocracoke > sceneries

I then create several more polygons to change the height of trees on the glide slope.

These files are named
W95-small-trees-south-poly

You can see that the polygons are different names and not the same as the airport polygon. When I click on save scenery it simply goes green. I never get asked for another location or name.

Thank you for any help.
Bill

Hi Bill, i tried to answer to you question here

Again, you Will not get different files for every polygon!

Your words

"These files are named
W95-small-trees-south-poly"

Are basically not correct, you are naming the polygons object, not the files

All you polygons, clicking save, are saved INTO One shape file (the first one you have created)

w95-airport-exp-poly

Hope that helps!

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
This close to the next update tells me you should show a bit of patience. Asobo is going to fix some of the issues we've been having.

I do note the DBF files produced by the sim are version 0.3.0 The older version, which still works, is 0.2.5 The XML files have also changed, to match the DBF.

I'm finding the newer version that is currently compiled cannot change the material of the polys. Also biomes are now defined as text, rather than a number as the old version had.'

We should re-visit this topic after the next update (in a few days).

Country
us-delaware
Hi Bill, i tried to answer to you question here

Again, you Will not get different files for every polygon!

Your words

"These files are named
W95-small-trees-south-poly"

Are basically not correct, you are naming the polygons object, not the files

All you polygons, clicking save, are saved INTO One shape file (the first one you have created)

w95-airport-exp-poly

Hope that helps!

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk
Ok so I did not know that is how polygons were delt with.
If I understand this correctly the polygon shape file will contain ALL the polygons that are in a specific bgl.
So the only time I will see or be able to edit the polygons is when I am working on the project?
What I seem to find is that after creating my polygons for north and south small trees I never see them again if I close the editor.

If I go back into the project after closing it the tree polygons are no longer shown in the project window under polygons.

Do I need to build the project and export then open it again to see the polygons created or is it simply gone the second I close the editor.

I have yet to try and build the package and move it into my community folder because i had assumed that each polygon would have a separate file.

Thanks

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I have found we can no longer use a material with a polygon if we have vegetation or biome properties in the same polygon. In other words, a material surface polygon needs to be by itself. You can copy it, and take out the surface and then add vegetation or biome changes, and the two will then show. I'm not sure if terraforming is a problem with materials or vegetation... or if exclusions are a problem when mixed with materials or vegetation.

Old project polygons made with the 0.2.5 version will be strange in the DevMode and may not compile as designed, so those should be deleted and newer poly(s) made.

Country
italy
If I understand this correctly the polygon shape file will contain ALL the polygons that are in a specific bgl.
CORRECT!

So the only time I will see or be able to edit the polygons is when I am working on the project?
CORRECT!

What I seem to find is that after creating my polygons for north and south small trees I never see them again if I close the editor.
as per the answer above, CORRECT!

If I go back into the project after closing it the tree polygons are no longer shown in the project window under polygons.
houston we have a problem! did you hit Save scenery button before closing your project??
You mean the scenery editor window? Do you actually click the load in editor for your sceneries (BGL) asset?

Do I need to build the project and export then open it again to see the polygons created or is it simply gone the second I close the editor.

Steps:
Load your project (Project -> Open Project)
click on sceneries BGL
click on the inspector (or View/Inspector) and click load in editor

click on the "scenery editor" window, your polygons will show up

I have yet to try and build the package and move it into my community folder
build that, won't hurt ;)

because i had assumed that each polygon would have a separate file.
nope, just one file to rule them all

One thing i have noticed, it is useless to give a specific name to the polygons, I will not be saved (at least on my side)

As per Dick suggestion, if you want to share your project we can take a look at it looking for issues!