• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS How to create assets (objects) library

Country
unitedstates
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to create libraries in MSFS? I'd like to build a library with many of my small items to use across multiple sceneries that way the end user doesn't have to download multiple larger packages, but instead, just the scenery and a library directory.

Any help or point in the right direction on how to do this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Country
germany
Did you ever try it? Where was the issues you ran into?

I mean, basically we do this all day. ^^ At least ppl who use flightsim.to to download freeware sceneries.

Probably half of the sceneries there require the usage of libraries for thirdparty objects, that have to be downloaded alongside the scenery.
The only important part is that the package has to be in the community folder, thats it. Then you can reference to those objects from the editor. Someone who has the package in the community folder sees the models, the others not.

There are probably other ways but this one is proven and works for hundreds of sceneries. I would go to flightsim.to and download one of the sceneries who do this (like mine, for example). I use models from the peoples library there in my project. And then you look at how the library is made. That should bring you one step closer ^^

I use this in my airfield.

Just look at how this library is made. Maybe it helps ^^

Sorry, i didnt create a library myself yet but will soon. But it shouldnt be very complicated. You could create a project that has a modelLib with all your models. And this will be your library. All it needs is that this package is in community folder, like mentioned. Then you will see all those objects in the object brwoser in the MSFS Editor. Easy ^^

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Did you ever try it? Where was the issues you ran into?

I mean, basically we do this all day. ^^ At least ppl who use flightsim.to to download freeware sceneries.

Probably half of the sceneries there require the usage of libraries for thirdparty objects, that have to be downloaded alongside the scenery.
The only important part is that the package has to be in the community folder, thats it. Then you can reference to those objects from the editor. Someone who has the package in the community folder sees the models, the others not.

There are probably other ways but this one is proven and works for hundreds of sceneries. I would go to flightsim.to and download one of the sceneries who do this (like mine, for example). I use models from the peoples library there in my project. And then you look at how the library is made. That should bring you one step closer ^^

Here is my airfield.

And for the full thing one needs this library installed

Just look at how this library is made. Maybe it helps ^^

Sorry, i didnt create a library myself yet but will soon. But it shouldnt be very complicated. You could create a project that has a modelLib with all your models. And this will be your library. All it needs is that this package is in community folder, like mentioned. Then you will see all those objects in the object brwoser in the MSFS Editor. Easy ^^
That is a good idea, thank you!

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I do it like this (attached).

Attachments

• MSFS-Library.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 322
Country
unitedstates
I do it like this (attached).
Hi and thanks for the link, Dick.

A couple questions if you don't mind...

1. Do we place new models in the "models" folder?
2. How to we introduce the textures into the "texture" folder? Manually or via Blender as we do with regular objects?
3. Is the package compiled by opening the "rhumbaflappy-modelLib-001-Project.xml" in dev mode and the "BUILD PACKAGE"?

Many thanks in advance.

Country
italy
Libraries are Just a collection of models

All you projects already contains a library, infact, the ModelLib assest suggests It Is a ModelLibrary, isn't It?

So, to create a "library",
Just duplicate any of your projects, slam all your Custom objects in modelLib folder
And remove any unnecessary reference to other PackageSources (like scenery, placement and so on), the compiled files Will contain your library, placing in community Will give you the opportunity to use them

(Side *personal* note, i don't like user libraries at all, and avoid downloading any scenery using them. If i strongly Need an object in my scene i prefer designing it myself, or if i'm in an hurry to release i will do an update)

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
(Side *personal* note, i don't like user libraries at all, and avoid downloading any scenery using them. If i strongly Need an object in my scene i prefer designing it myself, or if i'm in an hurry to release i will do an update)
Agreed. Separate library packages complicate things. simmers will need to have both the library package and the actual scenery placement package. Why have 2 packages when one will do?

Country
unitedstates
Libraries are Just a collection of models

All you projects already contains a library, infact, the ModelLib assest suggests It Is a ModelLibrary, isn't It?

So, to create a "library",
Just duplicate any of your projects, slam all your Custom objects in modelLib folder
And remove any unnecessary reference to other PackageSources (like scenery, placement and so on), the compiled files Will contain your library, placing in community Will give you the opportunity to use them

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk
Agreed. Separate library packages complicate things. simmers will need to have both the library package and the actual scenery placement package. Why have 2 packages when one will do?

Thanks for your thoughts, Mamu.

I am 100% with you and exactly how I felt about them for many years, however, I now understand its benefits in certain situations.

For example, in my case I have hundreds of misc objects (common assets) that I instance across my scenery titles. Instead of having customers download multiple large packages (with duplicate models), they download multiple smaller scenery packs and then just one larger library.

@rhumbaflappy did you see my questions above?

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi and thanks for the link, Dick.

A couple questions if you don't mind...

1. Do we place new models in the "models" folder?
2. How to we introduce the textures into the "texture" folder? Manually or via Blender as we do with regular objects?
3. Is the package compiled by opening the "rhumbaflappy-modelLib-001-Project.xml" in dev mode and the "BUILD PACKAGE"?

Many thanks in advance.
1) Yes.
2) I do it manually.
3) You can compile it through the devmode, But it is probably easier to use the fspackagetool. I make a shortcut of the tool on the desktop, and drag'n'drop the package xml onto that shortcut icon.

Country
unitedstates
1) Yes.
2) I do it manually.
3) You can compile it through the devmode, But it is probably easier to use the fspackagetool. I make a shortcut of the tool on the desktop, and drag'n'drop the package xml onto that shortcut icon.
Thanks, Dick. I will test it out here in the coming days. I appreciate the insight. :)

Country
germany
Just to clarify what i meant. Of course its suboptimal to have thirdparty libraries and im also not downloading any of them. Thats why i only included people library in my project, that are optional.
But i think this is another case, as far i understand it. He doesnt want to use thirdparty libraries but create his own ones. And he woulndt be the only one doing this ^^ Look at Orbx, Uk2000 and others. Its not that big of sin, imo.

I mean, what would be the alternative? If you have the same objects in multiple projects, you have to include the very same thing many times, what causes install size increases and overall is a waste of SSD space.

Is that even allowed, lets say with simobjects. If you have 5 sceneries using the very same simobject, with the same name etc, wouldnt this cause issues? So that would mean renaming al the time, another step invloved, for the identical object. Imo a library would solve all those problems.

But sure, i agree on thirdparty library content. Anyway, just my 2 cents ^^

Country
unitedstates
Just to clarify what i meant. Of course its suboptimal to have thirdparty libraries and im also not downloading any of them. Thats why i only included people library in my project, that are optional.
But i think this is another case, as far i understand it. He doesnt want to use thirdparty libraries but create his own ones. And he woulndt be the only one doing this ^^ Look at Orbx, Uk2000 and others. Its not that big of sin, imo.

But sure, i agree on thirdparty library contnt.
Correct, I'm looking to build my own consisting of hundreds of my own common assets (such as vegetation, people, vehicles, etc) and instance them across all my titles. For my recurring customers, it means smaller base scenery packages and no duplicates of same objects (had I included the objects in EACH download).

The customer wouldn't even need to download or separately install the library as the option to install it would be in the core installer.

Yes, certainly not a sin and in fact, quite efficient in a lot cases.