• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Updated sdk tutorials, the old way doesn't seem to work anymore. (Please help)

Country
us-delaware
I'm hoping someone can help. I used to be able to make scenery with great difficulty using the SDK for msfs2020. It appears that since the most recent update things have changed. File names and structures are different. It is no longer using shape files. I have followed a tutorial that was posted on Youtube by someone names "MyPhysical World" He explains everything very well and I followed the tutorial to the "T" I created the file structure as described, and edited the .XML files. The only difference was I called my project "w95-obx" The airport is W95 located in the Outer Banks. This is a small airport that is located on Ocracoke Island. I was trying to make it so the trees were smaller especially on the glide slopes. I was able to create a polygon and set the vegetation to a smaller scale and change the type used in the scenery. I save the scenery and am brought to a screen that ask to save the file for the polygon. I saved this as w95-poly and then moved on to adding objects. This is just like the tutorial so far and everything was going good. I go to save the scenery again with my object and it does nothing at all. According to the tutorial it should have asked for me to save a new object file name. I then try and build my scenery and then move it to my community folder. When I load the MSFS 2020 simulator and go to W95 nothing has changed. The trees are all the same and the small sailboats are not in the ocean.

Can someone please explain what I'm doing wrong? I will be glad to send my project as simple as it is for someone to look at. I know that when the SDK was first made we had to copy the sample projects folder and change the information. Is this still the case or can the SDK create the correct file structure simply by creating a new project in the SDK program?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

ms2020_w95_console.jpg
ms2020_w95_editor.jpg

Country
italy
Is this still the case or can the SDK create the correct file structure simply by creating a new project in the SDK program?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

This.

You can safely use the SDK wizards to create the needed files and directories structures
Here is a tutorial explaining how to

From that tutorial something is changed:you will be asked only once to save scenery files because now the "shape files" are integrated into the main placement.xml

The error you are getting is because you have created a materiallib that is likely empy

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk

Country
us-delaware
I appreiciate the help, but im honestly ready to throw in the towel on anything scenery or SDK related for MS2020. This SDK is the worst system I have ever seen when it comes to making scenery. We had better options back in FS98 and FSX days. I just don't get it at all. What I used to do worked prior to the updates. Now when I attempt to follow the video instructions above I don't even get an option to save my polygons and nothing is being written to the file directory I created. It will crash sometimes and lockup other times. There seems to be no playing nice with this SDK.

I found another video by MAMU about using the SDK to create the file structure and instead of an airport he uses the custom option. I have again tried to follow that tutorial step by step. The only difference is the location being W95 and all the file names would be different. He gets to a part where he is saving a file and has a folder that was created called BGL. I do not get this folder, the SDK does not create it. I also don't get SHP files when I save.

I can not find a STEP-by-STEP tutorial that deals with the most recent changes. It seems that Asobo changes the SDK just as fast as people figure it out. My past scenery no longer works and causes a CTD when in the community folder. If anyone can point me in the right direction on an updated way of creating/modifying scenery I would be beyond happy. If not then I'm just calling it because the amount of time I have wasted on the SDK and different renditions of airports is just not worth it. Is there a THRID PARTY APP that will work better then this SDK?

Thanks for the help

w95-folder-structure.jpg

Here is the directory structure that has been created, I have saved all my projects in a folder called MSFS Projects, this particular project is called wfs-w95-obx. I used the SDK to create the files and the structure tree you see. I'm not sure if this is correct or not but I do not see a BGL file being created as noted in the tutorial.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Bill:

AFAIK, ADE 2020 was intended to insulate us from MSFS' SDK DevMode GUI and/or "XML Hell" in a text editor.

But, sadly, I fear we may see ADE become abandon-ware ...as has happened with all past FS 'Airport' applications.

I feel your pain; MSFS SDK methods can be challenging to learn, especially when Asobo / MS keep changing core file / folder names / paths, while the option for custom folder structures and names leads to tutorials with a different workflow being used by each (well-intended) author.

I would personally prefer to use a classic FS "Top Folder with Scenery + Texture sub-folders" structure for both my Package Sources as well as my Package output, and to have the SDK packagetool / compiler write its own project code to suit the needs of its internal processing requirements, instead of putting me through "XML Hell" for freeware projects that will never be placed in the MS Store, and which I do not want profiled and data-mined 'up the wazoo'.

FYI: There is still a way via MSFS SDK DevMode GUI, to save ESRI SHP files of ones vector data for Polygons, without all such object code ending up saved within the "airport" AFD XML file used for a project:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/project-saving.454364/post-903037

BTW: I have only just begun studying mamu's generously shared and informative video tutorials, so I do not know what other topics he will be covering in his new planned YouTube series.

Thus far, I have enjoyed seeing him demonstrate SDK graphical blending functions with Terrain and Apron textured polygons via the DevMode GUI in his 2 recent tutorial releases, the first of which he linked to above.

Clearly he has many insights to be considered along with YouTube videos of BennyBoy444 and Flying Theston.

Hang in there; perhaps mamu and/or others here may be willing to offer some more help with your project.

But, as suggested when you first sought help with your W95 project, be prepared to attach your project here.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...elp-and-issues-encountered.453336/post-888352

PS: In the mean time, if you have not already done so, try the ADE 2020 Alpha 21, HotFix-5 build for this project.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/airport-design-editor-for-msfs-2020.160/

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/ade-2020-alpha-21-hotfix-4.454244/

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/ade-2020-alpha-21-hf5.455259/

Refer to the included PDF Help file(s) that accompany ADE 2020 Alpha 21 HF-4+5 for install and usage help.

Then:

ADE Menu > File > Create Project From MSFS Bgl > IDENT: w95 > click [Check] button > (fill in required fields) > [Go] > Browse / Select:

[MSFS 2020 Packages install path]\Official\OneStore\fs-base-genericairports\scenery\0302\APX27190.bgl

>
(fill in required fields) > check: 2-Way Edit checkbox > click: [Save] button

Afterwards, the project will by default, be stored within ADE's own internal folder structure ex:

[ADE2020_Alpha_21 install path]\F20\wfs-w95-obx

Once W95 is displayed in the ADE workspace, you can save a ZIP of all project source files and package files via:

ADE Menu > Project > Backup

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
italy
Thanks so much @GaryGB for your kind words!
I have planned to remake the wizard tutorial again (that will include the new polyogon stuff , that, by the way, in simple than the old shapefile structure) but I prefer to wait for SU10 because I know that the project editor will have some new changes, at least su10 beta!
(i have already an up to date wizard tutorial on my channel but is in Italian, automatic subtitles are there but I know you guys prefer my crappy English!)

@william516 , ADE is a very good alternative to the in sim project editor (aka the "SDK")
especially for those who are used to it (and everyone involved in scenery design in the latest 20 years should be!)

(And Of course the work @scruffyduck doing to keep it updated with all Asobo changes is outstanding! )

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Here is the directory structure that has been created, I have saved all my projects in a folder called MSFS Projects, this particular project is called wfs-w95-obx. I used the SDK to create the files and the structure tree you see. I'm not sure if this is correct or not but I do not see a BGL file being created as noted in the tutorial.
MSFS uses packages for addons, which are placed in the Community folder. Look inside your Packages directory, and you should see a named folder that you might recognize. That is your package that needs to be copied to the Community folder. (Inside that folder would be where the BGLs are stored)

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
But, sadly, I fear we may see ADE become abandon-ware

An interesting turn of phrase and apparent insight into my plans and in fact shows distain for the last 16 years of effort on my part and the past efforts of other developers of Airport Development tools. Perhaps you might consider taking over?

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Why would anyone spread a false rumor that ADE will become abandonware?

Country
us-illinois
AFAIK, ADE 2020 was intended to insulate us from MSFS' SDK DevMode GUI and/or "XML Hell" in a text editor.

But, sadly, I fear we may see ADE become abandon-ware ...as has happened with all past FS 'Airport' applications.

An interesting turn of phrase and apparent insight into my plans and in fact shows distain for the last 16 years of effort on my part and the past efforts of other developers of Airport Development tools. Perhaps you might consider taking over?

Hi Jon:

"I fear" means: I dread the possibility 'we may see ADE become abandon-ware'.

Please understand that I have no "disdain" for the last 16 years of effort on your part and the past efforts of other developers of Airport Development tools.

Rather, I have great appreciation for all you have done- and may now be doing- with ADE.

Please be assured that I do understand and respect all the hard work you have done since the inception of ADE, as well as for all your many other applications, utilities, and tutorials you have so generously shared with the FS Community for years.

I am concerned that any airport development tool 'may' ever become abandon-ware, and I hope ADE never does.

Until recently, I developed for all versions of FS since FS2000, and I was both disappointed and inconvenienced when all other FS airport applications (aside from ADE) ...eventually became abandon-ware; but I recognize some developers move on from FS.

As for "taking over", I have no such aspirations, and I endeavor to keep learning and helping others as best I can while still alive.

I have been worried that the recent rapid rate- and volume- of changes imposed by MS-Asobo on the MSFS SDK, has created a challenge that may exceed the practicality and cost-effectiveness of "keeping up" with such changes by (1) person (even with your extensive knowledge).

But, I still have hope that we may see future updates and new versions of ADE in the future.

Please accept my apologies for not being more clear in my original statement cited above in your quote. :oops:

Thanks again for all you have previously done- and may now be doing- for ADE.

GaryGB

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Jon:

"I fear" means: I dread the possibility 'we may see ADE become abandon-ware'.

Please understand that I have no "disdain" for the last 16 years of effort on your part and the past efforts of other developers of Airport Development tools.

Rather, I have great appreciation for all you have done- and may now be doing- with ADE.

Please be assured that I do understand and respect all the hard work you have done since the inception of ADE, as well as for all your many other applications, utilities, and tutorials you have so generously shared with the FS Community for years.

I am concerned that any airport development tool 'may' ever become abandon-ware, and I hope ADE never does.

Until recently, I developed for all versions of FS since FS2000, and I was both disappointed and inconvenienced when all other FS airport applications (aside from ADE) ...eventually became abandon-ware; but I recognize some developers move on from FS.

As for "taking over", I have no such aspirations, and I endeavor to keep learning and helping others as best I can while still alive.

I have been worried that the recent rapid rate- and volume- of changes imposed by MS-Asobo on the MSFS SDK has created a challenge that may exceed the practicality and cost-effectiveness of "keeping up" with such changes by (1) person (even with your extensive knowledge).

But, I still have hope that we may see future updates and new versions of ADE in the future.

Please accept my apologies for not being more clear in my original statement cited above in your quote. :oops:

Thanks again for all you have previously done- and may now be doing- for ADE.

GaryGB
Apology accepted Gary :)

Country
us-delaware
Ok so success finally after many many attempts I have managed to change the height of the surrounding trees and change the type of trees. Ontop of this I was also able to save new objects and have them show up. It seems that following the directions exactly are required. This means that you need to save when the VERY FIRST polygon is completed. If you create a bunch of polygons and then save the scenery it does not work and save them. Seems to be the same with objects. If you place ONE object only and save the scenery you are good to go and everything will work from then on. If you save the FIRST save and have MORE then one object (prior to saving the scenery) it fails to work.

So now I have run into a new problem. I have noticed that the type of aircraft and also the runway textures and sizes are off of the REAL world W95 airport. This can only be resolved by making the entire airport again. I guess starting with such a small airfield is great but can an AIRPORT be added to a scenery project. I know you get the option to create an airport in the objects but all the tutorials talk about creating an airport from the simple airport sample project. So would it be better to start a whole new project for JUST the airport, runway, taxiway, and parking. Then use BOTH scenery projects in the community folder to get the desired results or would this cause conflicting problems as one has the the same general properties and polygons?

The other question is about runway texturing and lettering. Can you create letters and numbers for an airport is the editor or does this require an entire new texture of the runway or independent letters?

I will post a few shots in another forum to show the progress, when I get a few extra minutes.

Thanks for all the help.

Country
italy
@william516 the behaviour about the saving stuff is weird, needs some investigation, but if it works for you, splendid!

I guess you keep on working with the msfs scenery editor (aka the SDK)

Yes, you can add an Airport within an existing project, the Airport is just an "object" that is listed in the scenery editor, there is no reason to start again from scratch: you will need to fill in some basic information in the airport object properties once added, like airport name, ICAO, and state.
You will likely have to add a new runway because you want to change the default one (and you because of the this, in the airport properties you will need to scroll down to the deletecommands and select deleteallrunway, and maybe deleteAllTaxiways so you can create your own parking/taxi network)

About the runway numbers, you can't change the size the default one. If you need a specific size, you will need to remove the runway numbers and add a textured polygon/apron with a texture created from you with the right appearence , the rights font can be downloaded from here

To add this texture you need to create a custom material for it, on the same YouTube channel linked above there is a tutorial on the topic

(You can also mimic the numbers with painted lines, but bit of a pain!)

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Bill:

You may find mamu's YouTube MSFS SDK Airport Tutorials here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=MSFS+SDK+Airport+TUTORIAL+Federico+Pinotti

Although the MSFS SDK Docs tutorials only present examples showing the option to either:

* Create new airport that does not already exist in MSFS

...or:

* Replace an airport that already exists in MSFS

...one can also modify the XML source code in one's project to "Exclude and Replace" parts of MSFS' default W95 airport objects.

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/ht...utorials/Creating_Or_Replacing_An_Airport.htm

You should not have to start over again, and can instead work on a copy of your existing project ...if you wish.

This may involve making a "stub" airport that provides the Exclude Rectangles and/or Polygons, and the replacement objects.

That process would IMHO, be easier to perform if one used ADE 2020 Alpha 21 HotFix-5, as it automatically will make a copy of the MSFS default W95, exclude the original, and allow one to edit the replacement airport objects with greater control / precision.

I used ADE in 2-way edit mode, to make a replacement copy of the W95 airport, saved, built, then copied that compiled package to the MSFS Packages Community folder chain.

I was then able to open the project in MSFS SDK DevMode GUI to edit it; this saved some "XML Hell". ;)

However, if you prefer only MSFS SDK DevMode GUI in a flight session of MSFS, it can be done there as well, via the "Replace an airport" feature option workflow.

GaryGB

Last edited: