• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Issues while exporting from Blender to MCX 1.5

Country
france
Hi everyone,
I would need some help about converting a model from Blender to Model Converter X.

I migrated from the version 1.4 to 1.5, since this time, when I export my model (.obj) from blender to MCX, It doesn’t want to load my model or take like 10 minutes to do it. When the model succeed to load, there is numerous “Failed to find material (null)” error (Image below). I don’t understand where the problem come from because in version 1.4 the same model is loaded in like 30 seconds but with the same errors. Do you have any solutions?
unknown.png
Then, I tried to export the model in COLLADA (.dae) but MCX 1.5 doesn’t want to load my textures properly (It's the same in version 1.4). Here is what does the model looks in blender with all the textures assigned to the correct mesh. I unwrapped only the mesh that has the textures assigned to.
Capture pour forum 1.PNG
And here is how the model looks in Model Converter X 1.5.
Capture pour forum 2.PNG
I don’t understand why the entire model has a texture assigned whereas in blender the textures are assigned to the corret part of the model.
Do you have any solutions?
Thanks
Adrien

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Maybe both, and maybe the .blend if you saved it, and the textures.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
It looks from your description that the obj file blender made does not contain all materials and mappings. But without seeing the file that's hard to say for sure.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I'll send you my email via pm.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I'll have to use the profiler to see why loading takes that long.

For the warnings about the materials that are not found, the OBJ file calls a material named (null) but that does not exist in the mtl file. I think these are textures without a material in blender. They are just warnings that you can ignore any way. The rest of the object seems to have the right materials assigned.

Not sure what the issue is with the DAE file. It seems some parts of the model (like the piers on the edge of the model) don't have a texture mapping applied in the export.

Country
france
Not sure what the issue is with the DAE file. It seems some parts of the model (like the piers on the edge of the model) don't have a texture mapping applied in the export.
With the DAE I tried to export the entire model unwrapped and after that just the parts of the models needed to be unwrapped but the result is the same, the entire model is textured whereas I applied the texture only in a specific part of the model in blender.
PS : I'm in Blender 3.0

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I see why loading the obj file takes long, but I nees to look how I can change that.

For the other texture mapping issues I think that's more with exporting from blender.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
@Adrien

What export settings are being used when you are converting it to obj and/ or dae from Blender?

Country
france
I see why loading the obj file takes long, but I nees to look how I can change that.
Ok it's really cool thanks.

What export settings are being used when you are converting it to obj and/ or dae from Blender?
For the OBJ (underneath "Write Materials" everything is untick):

Capture.PNG

And for the DAE I only tick "Selection Only", I let the rest as it is originally.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hi...

The Transform section of exporting Obj is incorrect. Forward should be set to "Y Forward" and Up should be set to "Z Up". Also, try setting the Object as to "Obj Objects". When Exporting as a ".dae" file, make sure to turn off animations:

Export_dae-anim.png

Look at the Geom tab also:

Export_dae-geom.png

You can also try exporting as a ".fbx" file with these settings:

Export_FBX.png

As to the speed in MCX, you might want to use the Development Release of MCX (v1.6). In my tests, I didn't have any "slowdowns" whatsoever.

Country
france
Hi...

The Transform section of exporting Obj is incorrect. Forward should be set to "Y Forward" and Up should be set to "Z Up".
Hi,
I rectified it, the loading time is the same but I don't think that was suppose to change it. 😅

Also, try setting the Object as to "Obj Objects"

What do you mean?

When Exporting as a ".dae" file, make sure to turn off animations:

View attachment 84246

Look at the Geom tab also:

View attachment 84248

I followed your advices but the result is the same in MCX. The textures are apply to the entire model.

As to the speed in MCX, you might want to use the Development Release of MCX (v1.6). In my tests, I didn't have any "slowdowns" whatsoever.

Try it also, as long as in 1.5 so I don't think MCX is the issue.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hi,
I rectified it, the loading time is the same but I don't think that was suppose to change it. 😅
If the X, Y, and Z aren't positioned or set correctly your materials/ textures can end up showing incorrectly.

What do you mean?

Within the Include section (Object as).. see image:

Export_obj.png

The only other thing I can think of is the model has unnecessary modifiers (that aren't being applied properly by Blender) or maybe the model itself is corrupted somehow. Have you tried with the latest LTS version (v3.3) of Blender or with v3.1? You did say you are using v3.0 correct? Also, make sure you reset all Transforms before exporting.

Country
france
If the X, Y, and Z aren't positioned or set correctly your materials/ textures can end up showing incorrectly.
How can I position it correctly? Your lastest advices are enough?
The only other thing I can think of is the model has unnecessary modifiers (that aren't being applied properly by Blender) or maybe the model itself is corrupted somehow. Have you tried with the latest LTS version (v3.3) of Blender or with v3.1? You did say you are using v3.0 correct?
Not tried with 3.3 or 3.1. Yeah correct.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
I was just stating if X, Y, and Z aren't, it could cause material/ textures to be misaligned because you said, "but I don't think that was suppose to change it."

Also, make sure you use the command: Cleanup and reset ALL Transforms before exporting.

Country
france
Hi,
I was just stating if X, Y, and Z aren't, it could cause material/ textures to be misaligned because you said, "but I don't think that was suppose to change it."
Oh yes ok sorry. I think now the orientation is well configured correct?
Also, make sure you use the command: Cleanup and reset ALL Transforms before exporting.
Sorry but I don't exactly know where are these commands. I'm not habit to use all of these ones 😅.

I think CleanUp is here but I don't see why I am suppose to do that, the only option is "Remove Unsed Material Slot" and when I click on it, blender crash. Is that a problem?
1664431525263.png

To reset all transform it's here right?

Annotation 2022-09-29 081155.png

Cheers
Adrien

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Oh yes ok sorry. I think now the orientation is well configured correct?
Yes, should be correct now!

Sorry but I don't exactly know where are these commands. I'm not habit to use all of these ones 😅.

I think CleanUp is here but I don't see why I am suppose to do that, the only option is "Remove Unsed Material Slot" and when I click on it, blender crash. Is
You need to get in the habit of using them. It's important to remove unused vertices, line edges, polygons (faces), and parameters. This could be the very cause of the "null" value that MCX is referring to and removing it.

The Crash is abnormal. I can't explain the reason "why" it's crashing unless I see it for myself. It might be necessary for you to send the blend file to me to determine the cause, but that is up to you. When you say that it crashes, are you saying that it closes Blender and goes back to the desktop?

The proper order to "Cleanup" and reset the "Transforms" is: 1st is the "Transforms" and then the "Cleanups". There are 2 "Cleanups": first is in "Edit" mode and then the "Cleanup" that you showed (2nd picture below). Make sure to select ALL before performing each of the "Cleanups". In the 2nd "Cleanup", you only need to use the first and third that are listed, for now (see pictures):

For the "Transforms" to reset, again, you need to select ALL first. This will correctly place all polygons in their respective places to each other (location). The "Scale": resets it back to 1.0 on all axis whatever unit you are using (metrics or imperial - if you scaled anything or not). Last is the Rotation, resets it back to 0 (whether you rotated anything or not.) (see 3rd picture).
The first 2 are very important especially if you added meshes and you have moved them to their proper place along with enlarging or shrunk them at any time. Don't rely on your memory if you did or not. You should get in the habit of doing it. In fact, you should do this anytime before saving it to a blend file during the creation process. You will save yourself a lot of grief and time if you do. A lot of the community, myself included, can tell you stories when we have learned this - the hard way.

Cleanup_Edit.png

Cleanup.png

Transform_reset.png

BTW, what Flight Sim is this terminal for?

Last edited: